PDA

View Full Version : Light loads for .45-110?

Flintlock Hokie
01-14-2014, 11:40 PM
I finally ordered my Shiloh Sharps "Quigley" rifle in .45-110. I've been reading Mike Venturino's book "Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West." His demonstration loads for this cartridge use 544 grain bullets, though he says "any bullet suitable for .45-70 can be used in the .45-110." Does anyone have any experience using light bullets (say 336 to 420 grains) in this large cartridge? All my loading will be done with black powder.

Thanks!

P.S. I realize there really is no such thing as a "light" load for this cartridge, but I'd prefer not to punish myself unless I'm "loading for bear" (literally).

TMenezes
01-22-2014, 09:56 PM
Wow, sounds like you picked something not very many of us know much about. My trapdoor level 45-70 loads are loaded with AA5744 which would probably work pretty well for you as I am told it was designed for applications such as this. Only thing I don't like about it is that is one of the more expensive powders. The father of my local gunsmith loves his 45-110 (or was it 45-90). So if I can make it over there this weekend I will hit him up. This gentleman loves black powder so I'm guessing that's what he uses. He's also the the one that turned me onto 5744 when I was getting set up to load 45-70 and I have been very happy with his advise thus far.