PDA

View Full Version : i need a new press

stephenj
01-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Its time ... i need to save a few bucks and buy a press.
I have spent the last two years replacing lost equipment . In expediting getting back to shooting again i simplified my reloading set up to a lee hand press a scale and a set of dippers
And concintrated on buying brass dies bullet molds and basic casting eqipment .
It is time to upgrade .. the hand press is just to slow.... it just took me 3 and a half hours to load w
150 45colts.
I am in a bit ofa quandry .... what to buy single stage or turret.r
I am leaning towards a lee cast turret .. mainly to speed upmaking handgun ammo.
But i also need a press that will handle a few heavier duties as well
Such as light case forming and sizing Some larger cases

Is this expecting to much from a turret press ?
And is there any issues i might find with the lee cast press
Its going to take a couple months to save some dough ...so this will not be a hurried purchase

carbine86
01-14-2014, 10:46 PM
You could also look at the lee classic cast breech lock press same ball park price wise. Im in the market for one too and cannot decide between the classic turret or the classic breech lock.

kopperl
01-14-2014, 10:52 PM
If you guys decide you want a lee turret I'll make you a deal.
Bill

stephenj
01-14-2014, 11:07 PM
The classic cast was my first press .. i liked it
But i would like to speed up handgun ammo a bit . I also need a press. Strong enough to do everything
Having never used or seen the cast turret press i dont k ow if its heavy enougj for my needs.

And thanks for the offer bill ... but its going to be awhile before i have any funds.. just had oral surgery and have to get that bill paid off first

jmort
01-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Classic Turret

RogerDat
01-15-2014, 12:25 AM
I too was looking at the Lee Classic Turret press before I decided to just use Lee Loader to keep cost down and try out reloading. Started to put together a casting set up now and I think I will need some press to size cast bullets. Was looking at the Lee Reloading C press to keep the cost as low as possible, then started to think I might be throwing $28 at a short term solution that could be better spent on a full feature press. I had already looked at presses for awhile and the classic 4 hole turret seemed the best deal.

Anything I won't be able to do on a classic turret for reloading or resizing cast bullets?

The only thing that makes me reluctant is I could purchase Lee Loader kits for all my revolver and bolt action ammo for the same price as a turret press and one set of dies. Which makes the C press for sizing look very economical.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
01-15-2014, 12:59 AM
If it were me, based on your needs, I would buy BOTH the Lee Classic Turret and the Lee Classic Cast single stage press. There's always a need for a single stage on anyone's bench and the Lee is a very good one. The Lee Classic Turret will provide you with between 200-300 cartridges per hour depending on how you set it up and operate it, so you'll get quite a bit of production for not much cash.

The wonderful thing is, you can buy both, set them up very nicely for not a lot of money invested.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-15-2014, 01:21 AM
Classic turret is a great press. For single stage it seems like there is almost always someone selling an older, medium-heavy duty, single stage press for pretty cheap in the Swappin forum. Even though it may have a little rust on it and faded paint, you can always refinish it.

VHoward
01-15-2014, 01:30 AM
I agree with ICH. A Lee Classic Cast Turret press is just what you want for the Ammo loading. And keep an eye on the trading section here for a good used single stage for the other duties.

RogerDat
01-15-2014, 02:29 AM
If it were me, based on your needs, I would buy BOTH the Lee Classic Turret and the Lee Classic Cast single stage press. There's always a need for a single stage on anyone's bench and the Lee is a very good one. The Lee Classic Turret will provide you with between 200-300 cartridges per hour depending on how you set it up and operate it, so you'll get quite a bit of production for not much cash.

The wonderful thing is, you can buy both, set them up very nicely for not a lot of money invested.

I'm working with space and $$$ constraints. So both is not an option, I sort of figured the turret could be used as a single stage by removing the index rod. Just don't know if there are accessories, dies or operations that I could do on a true single stage that I could not do on the turret. I'm not even 100% sure I will need to do sizing but from what I have been reading sounded like I would.

Believe it or not I have a rebate check coming from over payment of my health insurance, my first thought was yippee I could buy the whack a mole kits for my other three calibers and maybe a mold (or two) but molds got me looking into the Lee lube and size tool requiring a press, and Lee hand held primer tool cost is almost the same as auto prime for a press and.... you see what I mean it led me to start thinking more long term.

Mostly had been planning to reload for revolver (.38, .357, 45 Colt) and 303 British. All fairly low production volume where Lee loader kit is OK. Turret press opens up possibility of reloading .223 and 7.62 x 39 where a faster press would almost be required to make it worthwhile.

I was not considering the Classic Cast singe stage O style press figuring at that price I might as well get the turret, I was considering the Lee C style press which is only $28 but doubt is really any faster than whack a mole kit but would let me use Lee sizing/lube to seat GC on the .303 and maybe full length size some necked rifle cases in the future.

zuke
01-15-2014, 10:03 AM
Classic Turret is the way to go.

Darkrein
01-15-2014, 10:32 AM
I agree also the cast turret is the way to go. Titanreloading says "Deactivate the auto-index and batch load the longest and largest rifle cartridges." In the description. With that being said I figured it would do all I ever needed. The book says its build like 3 times stronger than needed for completing even the hardest to load items.

I just use an extra turret to put on my specialty dies. Not sure how the bullet sizer will fit with the other dies in there (not got them yet), but it's nothing to remove or replace what's needed in the extra turret. I believe the cast will do anything a single stage can do. That's just my opinion tho.

I'm new to the site, but have lots of reloading stuff. Lol. Found this site once I starting thinking about casting my own bullets.

Three44s
01-15-2014, 10:54 AM
For your parameters, I'd go with the classic turret.

Yes, you can single stage it ......... I only manually index mine and single stage it much of the time.

The only weakness's I see with mine is the plastic thingy for auto index, have not broke mine because I don't use it and with light bullet seating, I have issues with bullet runout for varmint ammo.

What I am refering to is the turret moves from rest position to the top of it's range when you put pressure on it. As you raise your ram, the side of the turret with the die that's working raises first. Lastly the opposite side tops out.

Heavier calibers and certainly handgun rounds are not the problem. It's more on the end of .204 or .223 etc. and neck sized cases with light neck tension where this could be an issue. So ........... For my very best long range in small calibers, I prefer a pure single stage press.

Best regards

Three 44s

Deekes
01-15-2014, 11:08 AM
8-)I have been reloading for 40 years. Love it always did. Love it as much as shooting. First started looking for a progressive or turret press and was talked out of it. And am I ever glad. I run a Pacific 007 and it handled everything from 25 to heavy magnum calibers with ease. No issues at all. If you like green instead the rcbs rockchucker is an equal. turrett presses, to many moving parts and not as accurate as I would like. I don"t use the priming system that came with the press. A Lee hand bomber does just fine. Just my opinion. Wouldn,t trade this press for 100 progressives.

RogerDat
01-15-2014, 01:01 PM
Deekes - Looked at Google images of that Pacific 007 man that is a tank, linkages look like they are heavier duty than some car front ends. Not surprised you have used it for 40 years.

Three44s - I gather your saying because there has to be some play in the turret for it to rotate the play can impact how easy it is to do small rounds requiring a precise alignment with the ram?

ACrowe25
01-15-2014, 01:07 PM
Lee classic cast turret by far... Not much more money and can always be used as a single stage...

seagiant
01-15-2014, 01:24 PM
Classic turret is a great press. For single stage it seems like there is almost always someone selling an older, medium-heavy duty, single stage press for pretty cheap in the Swappin forum. Even though it may have a little rust on it and faded paint, you can always refinish it.

Hi,
Sound wisdom!

kidmma
01-15-2014, 01:50 PM
Lee turret. Quick change of dies and they stay adjusted on the spare turrets.

xacex
01-15-2014, 02:02 PM
I have the classic lee turret, and have questions on the reliability for a turret head that turns to maintain consistent OAL with the slop that must be present. For pistol it is fine, but I am getting inconsistency with rifle rounds. I have the budget lee turret as well, and do not like the way it drops primers all over. The classic is much better with the tube. I am setting up a LLM this week, wish me luck.

bob208
01-15-2014, 08:09 PM
I have 2 presses one an old liberty single stage. started on it in 72. still have it and use it I have replaced the pins in it twice. the second is a rcbs rock chucker.it is used to form brass for odd calibers. to load large stuff like 45-70.

warf73
01-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Get the Lee Classic Turret, it can and will do anything you want it to do. So far I've reloaded 204 Ruger, 357mag, 445SM, 480 ruger, and 460wby on it. My turret is set up right now for 480 ruger, it has the reloading dies in it and the push threw boolit sizing die also. When I got the press I cleaned it, lubed it, and removed the auto index, I've never used it.
When you purchase the press buy however many turret heads you need so you can save on shipping.

gunoil
01-16-2014, 08:32 AM
mikesreloadingbench.com

All your answers here at money savings.

stephenj
01-16-2014, 09:44 AM
I think i have decided on the turret ... idealy i would like to have both a turret and d a single stage
But quite frankly for now i am about ready to stop spending on reloading gear.
I lost all my equipment when my garage burnt .... along with my tools
I need to start spending my extra cash in other places for awhile... i hadnt realized.how much i had invested in just die sets and bullet molds untill i had to replace them

ndnchf
01-17-2014, 12:17 PM
I bought a 3 hole Lee turret press 25 years ago and it has served well. But there is slop in it by design and it has gotten worse over time. It is fine for pistol cartridges and larger cartridges that don't require a lot of force. It is nowhere near as strong and flexes a lot more than a Rockchucker or a classic cast "O" type press. If you foresee heavy work in the future, get a strong "O" press. My turret press has lost some alignment and accuracy from wear. I have tried to use it for swaging cases down for conversion to other uses and it can't handle it. I'm ready for a new press and it will likely be a Lee cast "O" press. For me, precise, quality ammunition is more important than quantity.

seaboltm
01-17-2014, 12:33 PM
I would diverge and say the Lee Loadmaster. Only a bit more expensive than the classic turret. The Loadmaster can also be used as a single stage press. The die plate doesn't move during the reloading process. I reload everything from 9mm to 375H&H on mine with no problems. Can crank out 100 rounds in 10 minutes.

bedbugbilly
01-17-2014, 02:54 PM
I deprive with a Lee universal depriving die and size my cast bullets on a single stage - load on the Lee 4 hole turret. I'm doing 9mm and 38 spl. and I find the Lee turret to be just the berries for handgun ammo. You can always deactivate the turret advance and use it as a single stage if you want to. The nice thing is that your dies stay set up and all you have to do is change the turret plate. For me, the Lee turret is a real pleasure to use.

rbstern
01-19-2014, 05:16 PM
Lee Classic Turret. It's the ideal "only one press" solution. Reasonable speeds for pistol reloading, more than strong enough for big rifle cartridges.

Char-Gar
01-19-2014, 05:49 PM
My counsel to a fellow wanting to buy his first bench press is to get a good stout single stage cast iron press. They are available new or used from a low of $25.00 to around $200. They will all do what you want. An RCBS Rockchucker is always a good choice.

gunoil
01-19-2014, 08:09 PM
I put this shake brake on my loadmaster today, sure is steady. 800lb steel table. Lil' primers shake and almost fly.

http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps9486db56.jpg
http://i1113.photobucket.com/albums/k511/putt2012/null_zps3c91d23d.jpg

max range
01-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Add me to the "recommend Lee Classic Turret" crowd. If in doubt its the Lee turret with the thinner base. Don't get the tall one. In a pinch you can use it as a single stage by removing the rod that rotates the die turret. That said, after acquiring a bench press in my early days of reloading, I got a Lyman Spartan. There is much to be said for a "C" type press for single stage activities. Lots of room for the hands. I still have one though the Lyman got sold.

To further bolster the recommendation, I sold my Dillon550 rig because I didnt need the volume. I thought. Though it was a most excellent press, I actually like the Lee Pro powder measure more. I do have two BR Redding measures in reserve.

Garyshome
01-19-2014, 11:01 PM
SS is to slow! I don't have that kind of time to use a ss press to reload. Mr Dillon is on my bench.

MT Chambers
01-20-2014, 08:14 PM
For precision go Forster Co-ax...for speed go Dillon, the Forster also has the quickest die change outs, also see Redding, Rockchucker, Lyman orange crusher.