PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the New Model Vaquero 357

Wheelgun
01-14-2014, 08:38 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Stainless NM Vaquero in 357. I've been searching for an Old Model in .357 for a few years, but I've come across a NM locally, that's affordable. I know they use the smaller frame, and from what I understand, the NM 45 colt can't handle the hot loads because of the smaller frame, but more importantly the thinner cylinder walls. Is this true for the .357s as well? I have a couple Blkhawks in 357, but I like the fixed sights better. I shoot a ton of 38spl, and Mid-to-Factory range .357. I do, on occasion shoot hot loads, but only while hunting. So basically my question is, will the NM stand up, or should I keep searching for an Old Model?

Thanks, I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here before

44MAG#1
01-14-2014, 08:54 PM
Stop and think for a minute. It is rated for Sammie specs pressure 357 loads just like other 357's are. If it weren't the factory wouldn't have chambered it for the 357 Magnum but would have chambered it in 38 Special.

btroj
01-14-2014, 08:56 PM
Don't hot rod the 357 and it will be fine.

Piedmont
01-14-2014, 11:13 PM
Wheelgun, The OM Blackhawk .357 (three screw) and the New Vaquero are the same size. Actually the New Vaq. cylinder is a few thousandths shorter but the diameter of the cylinder is the same. The new small frame Rugers are much heavier though, because they have steel grip frames, so they are even more comfortable to shoot. You are looking at a 45 ounce revolver on the new ones.

The New Vaquero is bull-strong in .357. You could run it full out %100 of the time if you wanted to.

Wheelgun
01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Ok thanks guys. I was curious and somewhat worried because of what I'd hear people say about the NM 45 colts. That and that about a year ago I took my S&W 65 into a smith because it was getting really loose. He asked if all I only shot was full house 357s? I told him "Well, mostly". Thinking "what differance does it make", he then told me, "I can fix it, but just stick to 38s, the Smith K frame isn't made for full-time 357 use". I'd never heard of that before then, so I was worried maybe Ruger messed up the Vaquero when they made the change to the NM.
Anyway thanks again guys

bedbugbilly
01-15-2014, 09:44 PM
It's a Ruger . . . it's chambered in .357 . . . . it's rugged . . . . it will last . . . .

The one I have is fantastic . . . .

junkpile
01-16-2014, 11:35 AM
In the 357, you can do whatever you what with the NV. The 45 can't handle the same kind of abuse, as others have stated, primarily due to the cylinder walls. The 45 will still handle tier II loads, however, and they are plenty hefty. I have heard that Ruger is stating that the NV is not to be used for Ruger Only loads, and that includes the 357. I tend to do whatever I want with any of my Ruger revolvers, so, I'm putting heavy stuff through it.

I thought about an original Vaquero, but would only be interested in one in 45. Just the same as my complaint on the Blackhawk in 357, it's a tank for chambers that small.

So, back on to your question, I have a stainless NV in 357, and it's my favorite revolver currently. Much sleeker than the Blackhawks, like the sights better, like how the cylinder actually lines up with the loading gate, and it is still plenty rugged.

dmize
01-16-2014, 08:59 PM
There is HUGE difference between 357 an 45 chamber walls,just the same as strength between a SA and a DA. And a big reason why there are RUGER ONLY loads.
The most dangerous thing I have ever heard of with a handgun in .357 is double charging light .38's
Shoot the .357 as a .357 and don't worry............I don't.

Chilmonty
01-17-2014, 10:08 PM
I have a pair of the NM Vaqueros in .357 and they are built Tanks/Rugers!

Just stay within Max load recommendations and you will be fine.

Wheelgun
01-18-2014, 02:58 AM
Ok thanks guys, now its just down to deciding for sure between Stainless and Blued.

bedbugbilly
01-18-2014, 07:32 PM
Finish is a "personal thing". For myself though, I have never liked "shiny" guns - I know a lot of folks do and that is great - I just like blued. When I was buying my NV, I had to order it and when I went to pick it up, they had one in blue and one shiny - the gun shop offered either one to me. I will admit that the shiny one was on the pretty side and I debated since I have never owned a shiny handgun. But, what determined it for me was the shooting conditions would be when I was shooting it. I'm in MI part of the time (a lot of overcast weather at times) but I'm also in AZ part of the year. When I'm out here, I shoot an an indoor range and sometimes outside as well. I took in to consideration the sun we have out here so opted for the blued one as for me and my eyesight, along with the bright sun, it would work better. I've never regretted the choice I made. In OK, that may not be a concern for you. Either way you go, you'll love the NV.

Boogieman
01-19-2014, 03:43 PM
I'm thinking of getting a Stainless NM Vaquero in 357. I've been searching for an Old Model in .357 for a few years, but I've come across a NM locally, that's affordable. I know they use the smaller frame, and from what I understand, the NM 45 colt can't handle the hot loads because of the smaller frame, but more importantly the thinner cylinder walls. Is this true for the .357s as well? I have a couple Blkhawks in 357, but I like the fixed sights better. I shoot a ton of 38spl, and Mid-to-Factory range .357. I do, on occasion shoot hot loads, but only while hunting. So basically my question is, will the NM stand up, or should I keep searching for an Old Model?

Thanks, I really appreciate all the help I've gotten here before
My first handgun was a Ruger BH 3screw 357mag. Same size as NM learned to handload with it. made all the mistakes. If the load was printed in a $3.00 book it had to be OK. thought Max. was the man who worked up the load .45+ years later the gun is still tight & I ok. Hope I'm a little smarter. Enjoy your Ruger it will handle any sane load & MOST mistakes

Wheelgun
01-21-2014, 04:07 AM
Thanks a lot guys, I really do appreciate the info. As far as finish, I actually like blued guns best, but stainless stands up to day-to-day carry better. I like blued best, but don't like how it wears off so bad. If they were still case-colored I'd go for it for sure, even if its not a "real" case colored.

David LaPell
01-21-2014, 02:31 PM
I had thought myself about getting a .357 Vaquero NM simply because I want an everyday trail gun and I imagine it can handle whatever loads I can throw at it, but I don't really use super hot loads in my Blackhawk so the Vaquero can handle what ever you can push through it. Have no fear as long as you can keep it sensible.