PDA

View Full Version : Mauser receivers

ipopum
01-14-2014, 05:56 PM
I picked up 2 Mauser receivers over the weekend and have a question or 2.
Both appear to be regular 98 size large ring with large ring threads.
one the previous owner thought was Chinese. It has a swastika on the top along with some other marks and a 37 which I would assume is the year made. I know how do I expect to get help without pictures. It also has a swastika before the serial # on the left side of the receiver.

the other is GEW 98 on the rail behind the receiver ring. (left side) Serial number 6358. The markings on top of the receiver ring have been polished some and drilled & taped so they are partly gone.

The main thing I need info. on is the prior owner thought that the GEW had been annealed. Where can these be sent to check for being useable and hardening if needed?

tomme boy
01-14-2014, 06:12 PM
The GEW should be a large ring with a small ring thread for the barrel. If I remember right. The other is a German and the 37 is the factory code that made it.

seaboltm
01-14-2014, 06:15 PM
It is unlikely the actions need heat treating. Keep in mind that heat treating can warp and utterly destroy a receiver if not done properly. That said:

http://www.pacmet.com/index.php?h=capabilitiesandservices

flounderman
01-14-2014, 07:33 PM
The Chinese put swastikas on their receivers. The difference between the Chinese and German was the direction the arms pointed. The Chinese was for good luck and pointed left. The German pointed right and usually had an eagle. Somebody might have spot annealed the action to drill it but it shouldn't have been necessary. The GEW is a world war one German action and has large ring threads

pietro
01-14-2014, 07:36 PM

AFAIK, these are the known makers of Mauser rifles in the year of 1937:

Mauser AG Oberndorf
J.P. Sauer & Sohn Suhl
Erfurter Maschinenfabrik ( ERMA )
Mauser AG Borsigwalde
Berlin-Lübecker Maschinenfabrik
Berlin-Suhler Waffenfabrik BSW

ipopum
01-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will talk more with the prior owner to see if he was referring to drilling or the entire action.
I have understood that sometimes actions were annealed if they were going to re contour them.

Seek and ye shall find. But I guess a little at a time.

zuke
01-14-2014, 09:47 PM
Pic's of them would help.

ipopum
01-15-2014, 08:32 AM
Yes I know and I will try to get some posted . Have some Dr. appointments that will keep me busy and there is always snow to shovel.

zuke
01-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Yes I know and I will try to get some posted . Have some Dr. appointments that will keep me busy and there is always snow to shovel.

I know all about that. Had one appt yesterday and 4 more by the end of the month.
And the plow keep's finding snow!

ipopum
01-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Yes those plows. But the are nice when it drops a bunch at one time.

My visit to the Dr. yesterday confirmed that I need back surgery again. The first one was 32 yrs ago. But I am having some nerve problems and pains in the left leg. You cant ignore them as they can get worse and effect some of the more critical body functions. The Nurse Practitioner promised they would have me up and running by hunting season. She said which one and I said well all of them of course.

zuke
01-17-2014, 09:15 AM
Good luck with that, and make sure you take it easy and let it heal.

ipopum
01-17-2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the note. I have found that if you do what they say things turn out better. but enough about me. I will try to get some pictures posted soon.