PDA

View Full Version : 357maximum's lube testing on hold

44man
01-14-2014, 11:12 AM
Mike sent me some lubes to try and I have some loads made but this place is a muck hole after the ice melted and it has been raining. I took the Polaris out the other day and had to spend an hour forcing the muck into the ruts I made. I can't get down to my range yet.
I did some first tests with the .44 while it was bitter cold and both his MML and Satan lubes shot the same as Felix but no groups were real good at 50 yards, that is the way of 296 in my .44 when it is cold. Tried mag primers and it was worse but should have increased the charge 1/2 gr instead.
Groups ran about 2".
Need to cast and wait for better ground conditions so maybe I will get a lot of test loads made.
The lubes look real good so far.

357maximum
01-15-2014, 03:49 PM
My range turns to quagmire for a few weeks every spring....something about solid red clay soil and the fact that my place (only grass/shrubs for 3/4 mile in any direction) catches and retains all the drifted snow from the surrounding few miles of bare farmground......when it melts I am screwed for a bit......I FEEL YOUR PAIN......patience is the only course of action.

I set up some steel @100,200,250,300 so that I can shoot over the muck ......as long as I do not step off the elevated lawn area I am fine....but accuracy testing gets put on hold for a few weeks every spring.....the steel targets help me maintain some semblance of sanity in the meantime though....GOOD LUCK

44man
01-15-2014, 04:37 PM
I have some .44 boolits ready to load. I decided to weigh some and the RD 265 gr ran to 4/10's of a gr and my 320 gr were only 2/10's variation. (How the hell do I cast so close?)
I also have some loaded in the .500 JRH. Need to get busy on the .475 too.
Need to rebuild my boolit trap too, shooting out the back now.