PDA

View Full Version : Whisky barrels

Bullshop
12-04-2007, 06:39 PM
I need some help finding these. A year or so ago I recall reading some posts about where to get used oak whisky barrels. I would like a couple of these to use for crocks for pickling. Any ideas?
Blessings
BIC/BS

ANeat
12-04-2007, 07:03 PM
Quite a few places on the web sell used barrels. Might get a little pricy shipping to AK.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=used+whisky+barrels

flhroy
12-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Bullshop. Garden supply outfits get most of them. They cut 'em in half and they're sold as planters. Years ago when I was driving truck I saw an awfull lot of them buggers being delivered to places like K-Mart and Fred Meyer. Don't know how far it is from you but I'm sure there's a Fred Meyer in Wasilla and they have a garden department.

Good Luck

Roy

brshooter
12-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Check in AK for any distrilleries. They do not reuse the barrels for it is forbidden by law. The used barrels are debanded, broken down and sold to Scotland/Ireland and reassembled barrels are used to age the whiskey. Vineyards also use the whiskey barrels to age the wine. The white oak used whiskey barrels give some flavor to its new contents and they say it makes a better scotch or wine. You can't tell by me, I dislike both of them, Hendrick's Gin for me..

44man
12-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Hey bullshop, you aint a foolin me with that pickle stuff! [smilie=1: I know durn well what you want those barrels for. Wish I had a few myself. :drinks:

waksupi
12-04-2007, 09:22 PM
I do recall, if you get a whiskey keg, that hasn't been rinsed well, it has a telltale something there. Put a gallon of water in, and roll it around occassionally for a week. Drain, and drink. Ah, my mis-spent youth!

smokemjoe
12-04-2007, 10:15 PM
A wine company in Lebanon Mo. sells used 50 gallon barrels for about $50.00, I Need help for a coil.

Ed Barrett
12-05-2007, 03:16 AM
That is Independent Stave Company in Lebanon Missouri. The other Whiskey barrel company is in Lebanon Tenn. Since barrels can only be used for whiskey one time by law, they are sold as planters ect. if you get an empty one that's not cut check to see if there is anything inside, strain it through a coffee filter and you may have some cheap drinking. I used to live about 20 miles south of Lebanon MO and bought a lot of used barrels at the mill. Used Barrels cost $3.00 in the 70's now they are about $16.00 picked up.

44man
12-05-2007, 08:17 AM
Ed, you could make yourself some money with those if you could find a cheap way to ship them. Thats a cheap price.

Boz330
12-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Ed, you could make yourself some money with those if you could find a cheap way to ship them. Thats a cheap price.

That was in the 70s not today. I live in the Bourbon Capitol of the world and they used to be $5 here but last time I checked for someone on the board they were $30 or $40. I never tried getting any alcohol from one but I would think that it was pretty well evaporated. Trust me the distillers don't waste anything. Plus ATF watches like a hawk to make sure they get there fair 50% on every drop.
I can't imagine what it would cost to get one of those to AK intact.
A funny thing the local barrels are made in Lebanon, KY, COINCEDENCE!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Bullshop
12-05-2007, 12:48 PM
How many do you suppose they could band to a pallet for shipping?
BIC/BS

Noel
12-05-2007, 03:32 PM
BIC/BS

FWIW, Canadian Tire here in town has been trying to sell a bunch of them. Perhaps calling the most northernly one is worth a try?

As for how many to a pallet, if you banded them on I spose four would stay put but they over hang all sides. They are quite big from what I saw. Surely enough to quench a big man's thirst!:mrgreen:

Boz330
12-05-2007, 08:03 PM
BIC/BS

Daniel, I'll see if I can get you a phone number. The Distilleries used to sell them direct to the public and it would probably be easy for them to ship direct to you if they will do that.

Bob

Boz330
12-06-2007, 09:16 AM
PM sent.

Bob

Yukoner
06-03-2008, 05:38 PM
BIC/BS

Bullshop, they have them here in Whitehorse, if that will help you out.

Ted

kodiak1
06-03-2008, 07:05 PM
Four to a pallet.
Ken.

KCSO
06-03-2008, 10:38 PM
All the ones i have seen lately are charred whiskey ageing kegs. If you want pickl;es that taste like Jack you are in luck. 50 Gallons of pickles?

WineMan
06-03-2008, 11:27 PM
Sorry I missed this the first time!

I have a bunch (~50) of used wine barrels. Same wood (American white oak or French oak) just not as charred as a whiskey barrel. We keep them for five or six vintages and then sell them for $10 to make planters out of. I would be happy to send them FOB Plymouth CA on a pallet. If a few lead projectiles came my way as barter I am good with that.

Wineman

Limey
06-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Bullshop...stop mucking about.......buy a full whiskey barrel and enjoy making it an empty one!

Seriously, if you buy a full one you could recoup your outlay by selling off the contents to friends....assuming you can't manage it all yourself!

Safe shooting and happy drinking!

Limey

JIMinPHX
06-06-2008, 06:10 PM
A wine company in Lebanon Mo. sells used 50 gallon barrels for about $50.00, I Need help for a coil.

What kind of help do you need? What capacity are you looking for? There are much better ways to build a condenser than the traditional air cooled single coil. Everything that you need can be had at the hardware store.