PDA

View Full Version : custom constructed reloading bench (no picts, no bench, dont get excited)

9w1911
01-13-2014, 07:55 PM
I am considering paying someone to build me a custom loading bench with cabinets below, maybe 8 feet long, hopefully a modular design so I can take it apart when I move it. Will make it out of wood, need much storage, tool drawers etc.
it would be great to have it separated storage for powder, boolits and primers.
Any thoughts, advice? I live in N Nevada 12 miles from Reno so if anyone knows anyone to refer me to that would be good too.

ps, I cant build anything out of wood, so this is not a weekend project for a novice like me, I actually want this to look good, or better to not look bad to the SO LOL

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Figure out how big you WANT it....then make it at least 50-75% bigger LOL! If you are like most of us on here you are an addict. Addicts buy more and more reloading stuff. More stuff means more storage. Go big or go home!

9w1911
01-13-2014, 08:12 PM
I was thinking 8 ft long minimal, maybe I will go to 12 or 14 haha
and yes I had a great little bench, but now its stuffed to the gills and I need more presses and more stuff so more room

Whiterabbit
01-13-2014, 08:20 PM
custom? you have money.

If I weren't so great with the tools but wanted a large and not-unattractive bench, I'd look for someone's kitchen remodel and snag their old cabinets. 8 feet of lower cabinets, bonus points for the drawer cabinets for some basic tools. Open cabinets would be great for powder and primer storage, tumbler, etc.

The top can be skinned with MDF. four pieces of 2x4 handy-panel, no tools required. Just glue and screw in place then wax the HECK out of it.

You can always buy unfinished kitchen cabinets at Home depot, but it is not so great a deal. $125 for every 2 feet, you'd be into it for $600 by the time you were done.

Ickisrulz
01-13-2014, 08:39 PM
http://www.americanworkbench.com/

9w1911
01-13-2014, 09:15 PM
no I dont have the money but I can probably pull this off, we will see, but I figure it is an investment as I will use it for a long time

ACrowe25
01-13-2014, 09:18 PM
Figure out how big you WANT it....then make it at least 50-75% bigger LOL! If you are like most of us on here you are an addict. Addicts buy more and more reloading stuff. More stuff means more storage. Go big or go home!

This exactly... Trust me... As big as you can go.

A guy who I know locally has the PERFECT setup. Found the longest wall in his basement and stretched the whole thing. Two full length shelves above and two below. Only has one press also lol. It's at least 20 ft. Beautiful thing... What it would be like to have room!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-13-2014, 09:39 PM
I have 4 benches. My biggest measure 16'x2'. I also have an 8'x2' bench, a 6'x2' bench, and a 4'x4' bench that is on casters that moves around my reloading room. All benches have a storage shelf underneath. I need more room...or I need help.

9w1911
01-14-2014, 01:39 AM
the wall space I have is about 12-16ft

Wayne Smith
01-14-2014, 09:04 AM
I ran a ledger board along the walls, attached to studs with 1/4" lag bolts. When I take it out I have 1/4" holes to spackle. I got 3/4" plywood and cut it to fit, doubled it with contact cement and screws up from the bottom. I ran supports under it every three feet and dropped legs. Shelves above, assembly similar. I like using ledger boards. Permanent and strong but don't do much damage to the wall.