PDA

View Full Version : Hornady Pro-Jector trade in?

BD
01-13-2014, 07:45 PM
After reading about Hornady's program for replacing the old Pro-Jector progressive presses, I'm getting ready to trade mine in on a new Lock & Load. Anyone done this already? Happy with the results?
BD

Griz44mag
01-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Not me personally, but a friend of mine did trade his in. Go for it. You're gonna love it.

Celt
02-20-2014, 09:10 PM
I have the same press, can you tell me about this trade-in option, I've not seen anything about it.

BD
02-21-2014, 06:53 AM
OK, So I sent my old Pro-Jector back to Hornady, along with $200, and two weeks later a new LNL AP came in the mail. They also charged $10/each to mill a groove in the bottom of my shell plates so they'd work on the new setup. I set it up and loaded a couple hundred .38 sp last weekend. The advance mechanism, powder drop, ejection and primer feed are much improved. The primer pick up tube/primer feed tube arrangement is not an improvement IMO. Overall I'm happy with the way it went.
BD

seagiant
02-21-2014, 07:27 AM
Hi,
Primer feed is always the boog-a-boo!!! They are nice presses! Good deal!

A pause for the COZ
02-21-2014, 10:01 AM
I traded this one and $210 Plus you do have to ship them yours $26.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/100_8686_zpsac79e0d9.jpg

For this one.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d66/Kelly2215/103_9128_zps6ea3a91f.jpg

Works good for me.

cheese1566
02-21-2014, 10:47 AM
Where do I find specific info on the trade in details?

Hardcast416taylor
02-21-2014, 01:36 PM
Do they want just the press in exchange or do they want everything that is with the press? For example the powder drop system (auto drop or manual drop), primer system, case kicker system, older style shell plates.Robert

BD
02-21-2014, 02:09 PM
They want the press as you are using it, with primer tubes, powder measure and all. Call them for particulars.

COZ, that Pro-Jector looks like new still!

A pause for the COZ
02-21-2014, 02:35 PM
I gave it a paint job last spring.

Oh The reason mine cost $210 was because I did not have any of the powder measure stuff.
Wink wink nudge nudge.
Can you buy a Hornady powder measure any where for $10?

Details are gotten by just calling Hornady and asking her if they still offer the trade in deal.
She will give you all the details.

roysha
02-21-2014, 02:37 PM
Now I'm going to ask a real dumb question; Why trade if what you have is working well?

I have a Pro Jector (actually 7 of them, one for each handgun and caliber) that I purchased in 1987 for my 44 MAG and it has loaded 10s of thousands of rounds and is still perking along as well as it did when it was new. It is so old that HOR didn't even have an auto powder drop for it. One had to flip the measure manually to drop the powder. I rigged up an auto powder drop using the HOR pistol powder measure and never looked back. After helping a friend set up his new LnL progressive, I was not terribly impressed with the "improved" primer setup and really didn't like the powder measure setup at all.

So, once again, why?

doctorggg
02-21-2014, 02:53 PM
My LNL has been back twice and the priming system still doesn't function correctly. When it gets to the last primer it locks it up 100% of the time requiring disassembly. I have to take the whole priming system apart each time. When I called for advice (I am using the supplied plastic rod in the primer tube) and have it marked to indicate the last primer; I was told to not let it run empty. I don't particularly care to leave 1-2 primers in the tube until I reload again. It could be 1-2 weeks before I load again. There is no primer cut off and if something jams the system you have to dismantle the whole system and your primers in the tube go all over the floor. My 2 projectors have loaded many thousands of rounds without a hiccup. Just my 2 cents worth.

Celt
02-21-2014, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. I think I may go for a trade-in, for the following reasons:

1. Improved round ejection
2. Improved priming system
3. Availability of parts such as primer tubes and ease of upgrading to case and bullet feeding
4. Lock-N-Load system is slick for die change overs
5. I have a Lee disk based powder measure on my Pro-jector and I think a Hornady measure would be an upgrade

So for me sounds like enough to warrant a new press on a good deal. For those wanting to stick with their Pro-jectors, totally understandable as well.

A pause for the COZ
02-21-2014, 06:15 PM
Now I'm going to ask a real dumb question; Why trade if what you have is working well?

That is not a dumb question. because you dont need to trade/ Replace if yours is working.

My reasons were simple.
Hornady no longer supports the Projector or the Pro 7. Once the stock of parts on hand are gone they are gone for ever. Its not that they wont just cover the part. You cant buy them at all.
They consider these presses as obsolete. They are still under warranty, Thats were the trade in deal comes in. They deem that as a warranty trade.

second I wanted the ability to add a case feeder. I am building one to use a LEE feeder now.

3rd mine was getting a little loose on the bottom end. Getting harder to keep timed. Not bad but I could tell. So figured better now than latter.

BD
02-21-2014, 09:50 PM
I went for the trade as I did not have the small primer parts for the Pro-Jector, and they are not available any more. And, because my Pro-Jector had a lot of miles on it. I bought it used, and in the 14 years since then I've loaded over 100,000 rounds on it. I'm not competing seriously anymore, so having a dedicated .45 acp progressive occupying the bench space doesn't make much sense.
BD

cheese1566
02-21-2014, 11:22 PM
I am debating but need more info on details. I think I will call Hornady. I have two ProJectors and are in great shape. I have a lot of shellholders and heard they will convert them for $10 each. I dont want the expense of buying new or converting them to the EZject. ( i wonder if I can convert them myself on the lathe?) I do however like the idea of newer primer tubes as I only have two large and two smalls. I did stockpile spare parts a few years ago so these will keep going for my lifetime I am sure. Just those darn old non-replaceable primer tubes are the weak link. I also like the prospect of adding on feeders. I have loaded on one ProJector for about 20 years and it was an upgraded Pro7 before I came across it.

I do however have one predecessor Pro7 and only a couple shellplates for it (they differ than the ProJectors).. I wonder if I can upgrade this one?
It is a "bare bones" press and the first style primer feed style. I could minimize it and use the spare parts for my Projectors since they are still quite functional.

jdee74
02-22-2014, 10:38 AM
I fought the same thing with my lnl. I tried all the fixes I could find. What ended up working was taking the anvil out of a spent primer and gluing the cup to the end of the follower rod. Now the last primer will feed and the shuttle will lock back on the next cycle after the last primer is fed.

doctorggg
02-22-2014, 08:13 PM
I fought the same thing with my lnl. I tried all the fixes I could find. What ended up working was taking the anvil out of a spent primer and gluing the cup to the end of the follower rod. Now the last primer will feed and the shuttle will lock back on the next cycle after the last primer is fed.

That definitely sounds like it will work. because this problem aggravates the H**L out of me. Thank you.

doctorggg
02-22-2014, 08:16 PM
I emailed Hornady and this is their answer.

Greg,

Yes, this is true. You would need to send in your Projector along with $200 and we would exchange it for a new Lock-N-Load AP press. Please give us a call at 1-800-338-3220 if you’re interested in participating.

Thank you,

Hornady Sales Team

phone 1-800-338-3220

BD
02-22-2014, 08:37 PM
Cheese, if I was in your shoes I'd be tempted to keep the two working Pro-Jectors and trade in the older one. If I'd had one set up for small primers as well as one set up for large, I'd have kept them and saved the $200
BD

cheese1566
02-24-2014, 02:43 PM
I called Hornady and they will do the upgrade on my old Pro7. Theye said it would be an additional $25 if I didnt have the powder measure. Just debating whether to keep the measure for $25 or send it in...
They will also convert my old Pro7 shellplates for $10 each. I may as well since they don't have the spring ball gizmos in them and I cannot use them on my ProJectors. The Pro7 is pretty much stripped down and bare bones.

joelitespeed
02-24-2014, 03:13 PM
Wow, thanks for sharing. I have a friend with an old unused projector, maybe i'll offer him a case of beer for it.

cheese1566
02-24-2014, 03:15 PM
If he does and you trade....I would be interested in the brass primer tubes for my other two ProJectors!

Wow, thanks for sharing. I have a friend with an old unused projector, maybe i'll offer him a case of beer for it.

Hardcast416taylor
02-24-2014, 05:08 PM
I called Hornady today about this. Another $25 for no primer tubes or arm assembly. Shell plates are to be sent out to another location and can take 8 weeks or more to get back. They want to know the press serial # when you call to know press age. No idea on how long this promotion will continue. For all this newness will cost me - I`ll stay with what I got!Robert

Celt
02-24-2014, 06:13 PM
I'm wondering what they do with the older equipment they get sent. Not important, I guess, just curious.

cheese1566
02-24-2014, 10:42 PM
i try not to think about that...I see sad visions of the local recycler bin...:sad:

joelitespeed
02-25-2014, 12:37 PM
If he does and you trade....I would be interested in the brass primer tubes for my other two ProJectors!

Will let you know cheese..

joelitespeed
03-06-2014, 10:28 AM
Alas, he has decided to keep the press....

emptyxmags
11-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Does anyone have an e,tra brass kicker theyd be willing to.part with ill pay over market value.

Rolling Stone
11-08-2014, 07:46 PM
If you ever run one of the new ez-ejects you will never go back to the wire ejector. I updated mine with the new base and auto brass and bullet loaders and was a happy camper until I traded the press for a set of swaging dies to make .224 bullets. If you ever try to modify the shell plates you will find they are hard, to hard to do what Hornady will do for $10.

cheese1566
11-09-2014, 10:31 PM
If you ever try to modify the shell plates you will find they are hard, to hard to do what Hornady will do for $10.

exactly!
Money well spent sending them in. I tried on my lathe....no way! My machinist said no way either!
plus, I found that with each group I sent in, at least one of my plates was returned as a new one factory one in the package. They even upgraded some of my old Pro-7 plates for the same price.

left7hand
04-06-2016, 09:19 PM
I know this is an old thread but I thought that I would report on the latest program. I called today and they still have the trade in program. The price is $200. If you do not have the powder measure the price is $250. I do not have a Hornady measure as none came with the press. I plan to send my press in to get a new one. For those who did return theirs, how did you ship the press. Does the Post Office offer a Priority box?
Tom

HangFireW8
04-06-2016, 10:09 PM
Tempting program... but my late model ProJector runs like a top. I'll have to think about this. I got it right before the LNL was introduced so it doesn't have the wire ejector.

Fishman
04-06-2016, 10:11 PM
You didn't ask my opinion, but I'll give it anyway. The LNL is about $400 or less new, so they are only giving you $150 minus your shipping cost for your press. I decided not to send mine in because I didn't like that deal, and converting all my shellplates, etc. was costly.

If they don't ask for your primer setup and tubes that is worth some money to folks like me who still run the press. If you want to sell your primer stuff I'd be interested.

Edit: Also, don't forget about the 500 free bullets as a rebate for buying a new press. I figured that once I factored that in and shipping, I was giving them my old press. Check it out and see. You may want to hang on to it and set it up for a caliber and leave it.

Mad Jack
04-06-2016, 10:16 PM
Not wanting to step on any toes here but, curious as to the value of the primer system on the Pro 7? I got tired of spilled primers and switched to hand priming with a Lyman.

Fishman
04-06-2016, 10:32 PM
It's the primer tubes that aren't made any more. They are brass with an aluminum insert for the projector. I paid $25 for a large and small tube from a member here and thought he gave me a good deal.

Ken in Iowa
04-10-2016, 11:17 AM
My dad gave me his old Projector when he bought his Dillon. I prefer to prime and powder separately, so I removed those parts and use the press as a progressive turret to load pistol ammo. It works out well.

It sounds like I should offer the case kicker, primer tubes and powder dump parts on S&S.

Btw, do the new shell plates work on the old Projector press?

Rockzilla
04-10-2016, 11:28 AM
Have 2 of them was gonna trade them in but picked up a LNL cheap, thought it wasn't much of a deal
if you don't have everything, sure would like to find a shell plate believe no.16 for .223 got the plates for
45/ .308 family and .38/.357

-Rock

Ken in Iowa
04-10-2016, 11:35 AM
I might have a spare #16 Rock. I'll take a look and let you know.

Rockzilla
04-10-2016, 02:17 PM
I might have a spare #16 Rock. I'll take a look and let you know.

Thanks I appreciate it...

-Rock

left7hand
04-12-2016, 10:51 AM
I forgot to ask Hornady if you get the 500 free bullets with the trade in. My press should be at Hornady in 2 days.
Tom

cheese1566
04-13-2016, 11:23 PM
Nope. Not eligible for the bullet program.