PDA

View Full Version : Ankle Holsters -- Any Good?

Jeff82
01-13-2014, 07:29 PM
I've been thinking of trying out an ankle holster for my Model-36 S&W. I'm thinking that they might be uncomfortable and hard to keep in place. Would anyone who has used one comment on their experience?

Dan Cash
01-13-2014, 07:39 PM
Ankle carry is good for the class weapon you are considering though you will probably develop a slight limp in the leg bearing the weapon. I carried on my ankle for many years but wore boots with a sewn in pouch. I would not try one of the ankle holsters I have seen on the market as they are too big and look too floppy. Ankle carry is slow to draw so situation awareness is important.

bhn22
01-13-2014, 08:03 PM
Galco Ankle Glove. Go ahead, you deserve it. The cheap ones are awful.

Rick Hodges
01-13-2014, 09:57 PM
I tried carrying a OMC 380 Backup in an ankle holster back in the day. What a miserable useless uncomfortable piece of **** that holster was. Worn on the outside it banged into everything...worn on the inside it would cripple you....God help you if you ran with the thing....it would do both as it spun....wear it tight enough to stop the spinning and your foot would turn blue and gangrenous....Well maybe not quite that bad....but you get the idea.

Epd230
01-13-2014, 10:37 PM
I wore one for years. The key was to commit and wear it everyday until the pain stops. You will eventually get used to it and will no longer think about it being there.

I too wore it inside a boot. That helped to keep it in place.

historicfirearms
01-14-2014, 07:07 PM
I tried carrying a keltec 380 in one for a few months. I was working in a dusty environment at the time and the gun needed regular cleanings to keep running. One hot, sweaty day I was walking across the parking lot with coworkers and the velcro let loose on the holster. Out popped the pistol on the asphalt, talk about embarrassing. No more ankle holsters for me.

Lefty SRH
01-14-2014, 07:31 PM
I have a Galco Anklelite for my Ruger LCR, its very comfortable.

375RUGER
01-14-2014, 08:04 PM
When I ankle carry I'm wearing Noconas. Made my own holster that drops into the boot.

rintinglen
01-15-2014, 02:46 AM
Unless you're a vice Dick, or you drive a lot, I'd advise against it. They are an excellent choice for the seated driver, but not good for general purpose use. DO NOT BUY A CHEAPY!!! The best you can buy is none too good. I had a car thief escape when my holster and I parted company. I stopped to retrieve my gun and he didn't.
The only one I tried that was decent was an Alessi (sp). That was comfortable, but unless the 70's flash back and bell bottoms become the rage again, they aren't very concealable. Every time you bend the knee, the pant's cuff rides up, nothing better than having it catch on the butt of your gun while you are stepping out of the patrol car and every body in the crowd staring. A steel frame snubby is too heavy, IMO. I used an Airweight Model 38, but eventually abandoned the ankle thing all together. I got a holster that strapped to my body armor and bought a size larger shirts.

Ramar
01-15-2014, 06:46 AM
I wore one for 15 years. Mine was an Uncle Mikes very adjustable and I used the over the calf strap and the hammer strap. I didn't have much choice as my required dress was a tucked in tight fitting polo shirt(golf shirt) with dress pants. I was extremely active and at times had to jump and run; never did loose my piece which was a S&W 37 airweight at 13ozs. The sweat really shortened the life of the elastic and had to replace it every 3-4 years and I did wear a light weight pad under the holster for comfort.

Better on your ankle then at home.
Ramar

Sasquatch-1
01-15-2014, 08:29 AM
I used one for a very short time for a backup pistol (AMC 380 Backup). Felt very unsecure and caused muscle pain in the area where I wore it. Stopped after about a month and just stuck it in my pocket.

Bonz
01-15-2014, 08:40 AM
buy a Ruger LCP .380 and a pocket holster

Para82
01-15-2014, 06:17 PM
Have used a DeSantis ankle holster with a S&W 637 and a Glock 26. Not my preferred carry method but works well for certain situations. I wear mine on the inside of my left ankle. I am right handed.
Para 82