PDA

View Full Version : One Solution: Having to put lubed bullet through sizer

RG1911
01-13-2014, 04:09 PM
Although I use an old Star sizer/lubricator, I suspect other tools have the same "problem."

Using my #68 H&G mold and a hard alloy, I was having to put an already-sized-and-lubed bullet through the die every 5 to 10 bullets. This slowed production and was annoying.

I first tried spraying some unsized bullets with Hornady One Shot case lube. This did work, but each bullet was left with a slight film of lube over the entire surface.

I finally got the idea to put a very light smear of Imperial case lube on my index finger and thumb. A little then was transferred to the bullet when I picked it up to place in the Star. I did about 2000 this way; it worked very well and I only renew the smear of Imperial when it becomes hard to force bullets through the die.

Cheers,
Richard

David2011
01-13-2014, 04:28 PM
Sounds like a winner. Can't wait to try it. Thanks.

David

bhn22
01-13-2014, 05:10 PM
This is a normal state of affairs with push through sizers, including Star and even the Lee. Since I don't have a bin set up to catch the finished bullets, I just run a single bullet through a second time whenever the sizer gets sticky. I just catch a bullet as it drops and feed it into the inlet. I could see where this could be a pain with a bullet feeder, but it works okay for me.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2014, 05:15 PM
I've never had this problem with my Star, but I am using a soft lube (Tamarack, which is NRA 50/50)