PDA

View Full Version : Something I didnt know existed

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-13-2014, 01:09 AM
So, I am not a super knowledgeable sort on different weapons but I came across something today I didn't know was made.
I'm becoming smitten with single shots. I saw a break open, Remington Spartan in .308 for sale. Any one have any info on these as to quality,
craftsmanship and general opinions? Never saw one before today. Local add listing so I have not had a hands on to see it, just a pic.

brtelec
01-13-2014, 01:29 AM
These were made in Russia by Baikal.

armprairie
01-13-2014, 01:42 AM
I haven't had any experience with the Remington Baikal rifles, but I know the shotguns are almost indestructible. It was a real treat to shoot alongside one of our members named Hank at our club. About every fifth shot on the trap line would be a double charge that would echo through the woods like a howitzer had been fired. He never did blow the gun up, but one night the forearm fell off. He snapped it back on that Russian and kept on shooting.
Those rifles are made in a huge industrial complex that has made weapons for the Russian army for decades. It may not be the prettiest, but that rifle will fire and be reliable and safe, just like the old Mosin-Nagant.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Stole the pic from the add :)

From the hinge to butt stock looks very much like 99 savage lines
Fore end kinda chunky looking

John Allen
01-13-2014, 12:58 PM
Single Shots are a real addiction. Between contenders, Trapdoor, sharps, ballard, winchester and hepburn. I am quickly running out of Monday.

williamwaco
01-13-2014, 01:19 PM
Wow.

I like the looks of that.

Wish I had known about them "Back when"

http://www.remington.com/product-families/firearms-history/centerfire/break-action-centerfire.aspx

7br
01-13-2014, 03:08 PM
From that vantage, it looks like the old Thompson Center TCR87.

Mk42gunner
01-14-2014, 01:36 AM
Five years ago or so, one of the semi-local gunstores had some of them. They were priced fairly close to the H&R/NEF guns from what I can remember, but looked like they would be stronger to me. The one I held in my hands was kind of clunky, not nearly as graceful as a Savage 219; but again a heck of a lot stronger (Savage never chambered the 219 in .30-06).

I kind of wanted one in 7.62x39, but I stumbled into a deal for a mini-mauser. There are a few members who have done some work with Baikals / Remington SPR's, maybe a search will turn something up?

Robert

Lead Fred
01-14-2014, 05:19 AM
Id get yet another Handi way before I looked at imports.

Folks still gawk at me full stock 45/70 Handi, best $220 I ever have spent

Jeff Michel
01-14-2014, 06:02 AM
Grab one if you can find it reasonable. EAA was supposed to begin importation again last year but the deal fell through. Stocks of new one have pretty well dried up, but you can still find them on GB on a regular basis. I have a modest collection of them and they are of extremely durable construction, parts are readily available through EAA, very accurate cast bullet shooters. On the minus side, they have pretty poor triggers and they are a bit homely......... My .308 will do 1" at 50 yards all day with a Lee 150 Gr FP and and 4198

NVScouter
01-14-2014, 03:17 PM
I know the 7.62x39s had a bad rap for not with with mil spec primers. Handled one and made an offer but was rejected. It's still for sale. The MSRP was about $210-250 the guy wanted $475 with a cheepo scope.

They were imported by Remmington for 3-4 years and dropped a couple years ago.

wlc
01-14-2014, 09:30 PM
Didn't they also import some double rifles by the same company? Seems like I saw a 45/70 double in a LGS a while back.

bstarling
01-14-2014, 10:38 PM
I have a Baikal single shot in 270 Winchester. It is a really solid all steel gun. Mine has a synthetic stock and is very light. The trigger needed a bit of work but that was pretty simple to take care of.

Bill

MT Gianni
01-16-2014, 10:39 AM
Baikal made or makes a 22 biathlon rifle that the shooters use before they find the money for an Aunschutz. The triggers are OK and they have the straight throw bolt, ran around $1200 in 2000. They can make quality it appears.

358wcf
01-16-2014, 11:43 AM
I have a Baikal singleshot in 7.62x39mm-
Simple thing, basically a break-open shotgun style built with an "excess" of steel for durability. No doubt it is overbuilt for this cartridge-- as noted by others, a heavy trigger, but that is scheduled for attention soon. Accuracy with factory j-words is acceptable at 50yds (1.5" with very poor iron sights) and old eyes. I've been scouting for a receiver sight or a decent adjustable rear sight that will clamp on the 11mm dovetail, like they use on airguns.
Purchased used, I found the action was filled with crud when I opened it up for cleaning. Works much better now-

Would I buy it again? Not if something better was available- BUT- I've never found another like it- simple, stout, should be a "forever" carbine if given reasonable care- sure the stock is crude, very "proud" of the metal at all points, but that can be cleaned up with woodworking tools and sandpaper if wanted for a better appearance. As it is- OK, much stouter than a Handirifle, and heavy-

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Jeff H
01-17-2014, 11:23 PM
I........I've been scouting for a receiver sight or a decent adjustable rear sight that will clamp on the 11mm dovetail, like they use on airguns..............:

Take a look at the Williams receiver sight for the CZ 452. It clamps onto the "small" dovetail on their rimfires, which I believe is 11mm but don't remember for certain. I had one but sold it because the sights on my CZ 452 Trainer are already excellent and very easy to adjust for longer ranges. Otherwise I would volunteer pics and measurements. This sight seems to be frequently out of stock. The CZ guys keep buying them up.

jlchucker
01-20-2014, 11:12 AM
I have had a few Baikal shotguns, imported before Remington got into the act. One, a 28 inch 12 gauge side-by-side, is what I use to shoot trap with at my range. The other, a side by side 16 guage, is a good gun but pretty much a closet queen at the moment. I've had a couple of the over-unders, too. I never had the single shot rifle--thought about it but never ordered one, and lost interest when Remington got involved. Those shotguns, though, are pretty much indestructible. My only criticism of Baikal shotguns are from the perspective of a lefty--they are cast off for a right-handed shooter. If you are a lefty and buy one, look at the stock very carefully, to see if there's wood enough there to whittle it at least straight, without making it too butchered up. I really wish they imported the rifles again. I'd sure like a 30-06 of theirs. I've had no good luck with Handi's that I've owned.