PDA

View Full Version : Lee FCD

9w1911
01-12-2014, 11:42 PM
I bought one to play with and I wanted to talk to some guys that have experience, and I want to know what motion puts the crimp, is it when the bullet first passes through the die, this has the most resistance, what about the adjuster that just seems to do length right? I am trying to understand the action within the die.

Also these plunk just fine in my lever 44mag marlin, which is not hard, I can feel some play as the round is chambered(Lee FCD), and not so much play with the Redding profile crimp rounds, both drop in my case gauge and rifle no problem, the crimp is to spec .456-.455(off the top of my head) and the length is 1.595(off the top of my head) seated to the top of the cannelure in a JHP

Finally, I am loading some Rainier plated rnfp 240gr 44mag and I was wondering if a crimp die is best for these because of no cannelure,

rtracy2001
01-12-2014, 11:57 PM
This explains how they work:

http://leeprecision.com/reloading-dies/hand-gun-dies/lee-carbide-factory-crimp-die

Two operations going on, a carbide ring near the bottom post sizes the case, and the collar in the top does the crimping.

I have heard rumors of some folks having trouble with the Lee FCD, seems the carbide ring can size the boolit too, especially if you have to cast a little oversize to fit the bore.

Johnny_Cyclone
01-13-2014, 12:11 AM
When the cartridge first passes into the die:

The cartridge brass is sized down just like in your sizing die. (think of that part as the carbide sizer die without the decapping pin)

The Adjuster on top the top controls the crimp action (how heavy you crimp the brass case mouth into the boolit)

If you pull the Adjuster out and turn the die upside down the floating crimp part of the die will fall out so you can look at it.
(Note: it goes in one way. Some folks that have had crimp trouble have either pulled it out and put it back in wrong, or it was assembled wrong at the factory)

If it's in wrong it will either not crimp (only because adjuster is backed way off) or it will super duper crimp to the point of destroying your brass. No in between...well,because its in there wrong.

Now some folks (who load mostly lead) will knock the carbide sizing ring out and use only the crimp feature.
(The ring can size down your boolit like a bullet sizing die would, but the brass will spring back. This can cause a loose boolit fit in the brass cartridge case)

The perceived advantage of carbide ring in the first part of the FCD die is if your jacketed bullets bulge your cartridge case to the point that it won't chamber reliably in your firearm
it will squeeze the bulge out. The brass and the copper jacket of the bullet have similar spring back and retain a tighter fit than lead.

It can be used for lead too if you try it and have no ill cartridge effects in your personal usage of it.

Don't be afraid to disassemble it to see all the goodie inside. you'll have to pull it apart at some time for cleaning anyway.

like rtracy2001 said. It you need a .454 diameter boolit to go down your barrel, and you run it through a FCD with the sizer ring still installed you can bet the boolit will not be .454 when you're done.

Note: The bottleneck cartridge case FCD is a collet action which is a different animal, or if you have one of the lesser seen LEE Collet style FCD's for certain revolver cartridges.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2014, 12:19 AM
The Rifle style Lee FCD is the way to go with cast. You can special order them from Lee in pistol calibers, back when Ranch Dog was in Business, he carried all the revolver calibers.

9w1911
01-13-2014, 12:28 AM
The Rifle style Lee FCD is the way to go with cast. You can special order them from Lee in pistol calibers, back when Ranch Dog was in Business, he carried all the revolver calibers.---oh you dont say

so far I have just used plated bullets and I need to pull the first test round so I will see if it was sized

I dont see the point of the FCD if you remove the carbide inner?

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2014, 12:36 AM
The Lee Rifle style factory crimp die is actuated by the shell holder, so it isn't dependent on case length.

9w1911
01-13-2014, 12:43 AM
I just emailed them about a rifle FCD for 44 mag :)

jmort
01-13-2014, 12:50 AM
"I just emailed them about a rifle FCD for 44 mag"

Why not just order one?

http://leeprecision.com/44-mag-collet-style-custom-factory-crimp-die.html

9w1911
01-13-2014, 02:19 AM
haha what the? I just searched for one haha thanks

Johnny_Cyclone
01-13-2014, 03:03 AM
I dont see the point of the FCD if you remove the carbide inner?

You're right it's just a crimp die at that point.

But.. for a noob that buys the LEE 4 die pistol set... well, the FCD is in there. (and cheaper than buying the three die set and paying for another seater die just for the crimp function)

Now he can back the standard seater die out to seat only, and then crimp in a separate operation with what's left of the FCD.
Less shaved lead when using mixed bulk brass of different trim lengths.(as a standard seater is still pushing the boolit into the cartridge case as it's folding/crimping the mouth of the case into the boolit)

Makes more sense on a turret or progressive if he has room on the tool head... I guess.

Oh, and if he knocks the Carbide ring out (without damage) he has a spare for the sizer/decap die should it ever get gouged or cracked.

As far as crimp dies go.
I've done both. I've knocked the FCD ring out when the need called for it, and I've also picked up a few seater dies from incomplete sets (bargin basket-gun show items) of various makes to use only as crimp dies.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___

On another note:

Some LEE part numbers:

SKU: 80337 is the .45 Colt collet crimp die.
SKU: 80335 is the .44 magnum collet crimp die
SKU: 80334 is the .41 magnum collet crimp die
SKU: 80323 is the .357 magnum collet crimp die

These do not have a carbide ring, and are crimp only (no seating feature)
So you will be crimping in a separate operation from seating. Just like with the FCD.
However, they are the bees knees for cast boolits.

(no you don't always have to have the bees knees to reload with, but it sure is nice)

9w1911
01-13-2014, 04:35 AM
I am going to get the 44 mag collet die for sure

dudel
01-13-2014, 11:27 AM
When the cartridge first passes into the die:

The cartridge brass is sized down just like in your sizing die. (think of that part as the carbide sizer die without the decapping pin)

That only happens if your loaded round exceeds the specs for round (AND if Lee Q/C did their job).

I'm talking about pistol FCD here with the carbide ring (a different animal entirely from the Lee Rifle FCD which only crimps). In most cases my FCD does nothing but crimp. On the odd round where the brass was thicker or the j-word was out of spec, the FCD does it's thing and sizes the round back into spec.

Post sizing is not the terrible thing many people make it out to be. Check out commercial machines. They all include a post size step.

Not as critical IMHO as most boolits get sized. Could be an issue if you use boolits as cast, and they are a bit oversized. In which case a max chamber gauge may be in order. You can then run some number of your finished rounds through to build confidence that they will chamber (or you could use your barrel). In any event even Lee doesn't recommend the FCD for boolits.

I prefer to seat and crimp in two steps. Easier to adjust, and I can change projectile profiles without messing the crimp setting.

MtGun44
01-14-2014, 02:47 AM
Run away! ;-)

Bill