PDA

View Full Version : First cast boolits in my SBH

double bogey
01-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Loaded my first cast boolits and shot them this weekend. I didn't cast them, I'm not there yet. Been gathering lead, got a mold, and a large stainless pot to smelt in, but buying boolits so far.
I loaded 150 quantity of 240 gr. lswc's with 2400 from 18.5 gr. to 20.6 gr. in 4 different brand hulls. All shot well, no extraction issues, or leading. Gun filthy, my hands filthy, but cleaned up well. Accuracy was better than I can shoot, I will load on the lighter side and work on technique. Got the pistol new back before thanksgiving and decided if I want to shoot much I must reload. My SBH has a 10.5" barrel, next go round will most likely be 7.5", as I like a long sight radius. Anyway, sure was fun for my first run at handloading in about 15 years.

Dale53
01-16-2014, 10:31 PM
double bogey;
Welcome to the club! I would like to encourage you to get started casting when possible. It is VERY satisfying to shoot a nice group or score with your own ammunition (or win a match or bag edible small game or a deer, etc.). It sure adds to the experience.

FWIW
Dale53

double bogey
01-17-2014, 01:22 AM
Just got my reloading bench set up, I've been scrounging lead, got a SS pot to smelt in, and have been looking for tin. Most of the lead so far is I believe range lead. It's fairly soft, about 9bhn by pencil test. I will be buying a casting pot in the next couple of weeks. Work has me a little busy of late, and everytime I think I might smelt, the wind is up.
I'm in the hvac biz, so I cut a refrigerant can, but it won't sit on the burner stable enough. I may weld a ring around it and try it later. It won't be long before I get going though.

RED333
01-17-2014, 05:56 PM
And another enters the fold.
Congrats!!!

44man
01-18-2014, 10:28 AM
I love longer barrels too, my SBH is the first 10" in stainless brought out. None of my revolvers are less then 7-1/2". They are for targets and deer, not carry.
Keep the cylinder pin and hole clean, lube with STP and the gun will never wear out, my SBH has shot about 72,000 full power loads with no wear except some sandblasting on the forcing cone.
Lube the ratchet too. STP also cushions the cylinder under recoil best.
When you cast your own, even max loads will run around a dime a shot, some store bought stuff has reached $3 a shot from the big bores. That is more then what it costs to hand load the .50 BMG.
I will stray a little here. If you want to master the SBH, shoot heavy loads and if the trigger guard gets you, put Pachmeyer Signature grips on it. I have never seen a single person that shoots light loads shoot heavy good, the brain will screw with you when recoil is increased.
Yes, I am backwards from most but once a shooter gets used to recoil he is twice the shot as the other way around.
I hand my BFR .500 JRH to guys with fear in their eyes but soon they are hitting pop cans at 50 yards off hand and the .44 is then a toy. Proper instruction works.