PDA

View Full Version : 50/50 alloy no tin for hunting?

Elbow
01-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Wondering how these boolits will work on whitetails. I cast 50/50 wheel weights and pure lead with no tin. I used a Lee c309 170 f mold and will be shooting them out of a pre 64 Winchester 94 at about 1800 fps. Boolits are air cooled. I will be using the gas check and loading them with a Lee Loader. Thoughts? Is not adding tin ok?

sqlbullet
01-13-2014, 10:50 AM
Should be fine. The tin aids fill out, which can be problematic as lead content goes up, and adds a little better malleability. But, lead holds together pretty well until the antimony content gets up around 3-4% or higher. Where you have cut the alloy, it would probably be good.

If you are concerned, you could try some gelatin or wet-pack. Yes, a chorus will show up and tell us animals aren't made outta wet-pack, but it does give at least some indication of something that isn't working.

Defcon-One
01-13-2014, 04:59 PM
No added Tin, but you have a bit in there. I'd expect around 0.29% Tin from the COWWs, which means about 0.15% Tin in your finished 50/50 blend. Not much, but it may help.

If you hit them where you are supposed to they will go down within 50-70 yards, if not sooner.