PDA

View Full Version : Definitive List - What powders work and what powders don't

Pages : [1] 2

prickett
01-12-2014, 09:07 PM
Guys, how about we create a sticky (if the thread gets big enough) of PC you've used that either work or don't work. Mention the color, place of purchase, cooking temp, number of coats, and method of application (and post a picture if you can).

I'll start:
In the photo, the boolits on the left
Color: 1st coat Red, 2nd coat Yellow
Num of Coats: 2
PoP: Harbor Freight
Temp: 400F for 20 minutes (oven NOT preheated)
MoA: Dry Tumble (aka Shake and Bake)
Comments: Finish not as smooth as those on the right. Probably due to shorter cook time.
Prognosis: Works. The yellow isn't as opaque as the red is, though.

In the photo, the boolits on the right
Color: Red
Num of Coats: 1
Temp: 400F for 30 minutes (oven NOT preheated)
Prognosis: Works.

prickett
01-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Color: Black
Temp: 400F for 30 minutes (oven NOT preheated)
MoA: Wet Tumble (aka Piglet) using Lacquer Thinner
Prognosis: Works.

Color: Black
Num of Coats: 1
Temp: N/A
MoA: Dry Tumble
Prognosis: Black DOES NOT WORK for dry tumble.

NO PHOTO

Mbedwell1971
01-12-2014, 10:47 PM
HF Red
400 degrees 15 minutes
MoA: ES
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/13/vaty7eja.jpg

HF Matte Black
400 degrees 15 minutes
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/13/u4adaqu8.jpg

Powder by the Pound
Lime Green
400 degrees 20 minutes
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/13/jenyru4a.jpg

I tried preheating and not preheating. It didn't seem to matter which way. Coating was very even either way. I have had great success with all three. Prior to shooting the PC bullets, I had a little lead build up still in my XD 9mm barrel. My barrel now is perfectly clean. I am not experiencing any build up issues with my 9mm, .380, or 40 S&W. I am moving forward with some rifle bullets this week for my .308. I have cast, coated and installed gas checks on some 170gn FN from a Lee mold that I will be starting with. These will be my first cast rifle bullets. Any pointers as I move on?

VHoward
01-13-2014, 12:06 AM
Virginia Tech Orange
Powder By The Pound
400 degrees for 20 minutes
Dry tumble coated
One coat
Works well.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/howard-v/DSCN0073_zpsc1774cd2.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/user/howard-v/media/DSCN0073_zpsc1774cd2.jpg.html)

Almost looks as good as ES gun coating

Benjlan
01-13-2014, 05:44 PM

My first attempt:
Harbor freight red
400 preheated 15 mins
Very good looking but a little thin around the bases user problem I'm sure
electrostatic with Harbor kit 25psi

legend 550
01-13-2014, 06:02 PM
Bengal Black 95% gloss
Tiger Dry Lac pn 49/88888
Pendry coatings via ebay
400 for 10 min
Tumbled 1 coat

Freightman
01-13-2014, 07:13 PM
This is becoming a revolution, find myself "having" to cast so I can see what color I come up with :grin:

gefiltephish
01-15-2014, 01:38 PM
I would suggest that the first post of this thread contains 2 columns. 1. Works. 2. Doesn't Work. Of course someone would have to be granted editing permissions to keep up with it. This would be so much easier and time efficient than having to weed through a gazillion pages.

bstone5
01-23-2014, 04:17 PM
All of these bullets were coated with polyester powder coat from Powder Buy The Pound.

Cooked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes in a counter top convection oven purchased at TARGET, made by GE.

Gas checks made from cola cans are installed on all powder coated bullets, just the way I do it.

The gas checks can be deleted but I put them on to insure the barrel is kept very clean with many rounds fired at the same time at the range.

Mlcompound
01-27-2014, 10:12 AM
First attempt. Not too bad. Harbor Freight red. Shake and bake. 400 half preheat for 15 then turned off and left them in the oven (baby woke up and had to abort). Look good though.

Beagle333
01-27-2014, 12:52 PM
The other colors are fun, but I think HF red applied ES is going to be my "go to" coating. :-D
I preheat to 400 and bake for 20 mins and then usually let it sit til I remember to take em out.
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/PowderCoating/HF017_zpseff35e38.jpg

Mlcompound
01-29-2014, 04:29 PM
First actually ready to test...

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/30/jegu3yvu.jpg

res45
02-01-2014, 06:38 PM
First attempt today using the HF gun and HF,Yellow and Red and a OD Green powder from a local PC business. One coat applied to all bullets and baked for 20 min. at 400 degrees. Gas checks were applied to some and left off the others for future testing. I PC'ed a Lee 124 gr. TLTC bullet that tumbles about 75% of the time in my 9mm to see if it eliminates the issue.
http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/res49/100_156822_zps0508126f.jpg

Liberty'sSon
02-06-2014, 10:12 AM
PBTP lime green, dry tumbled, baked 400F 20 min, two coats. Looks good, hope to get to range soon to see how they shoot. Will update.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/LibertysSon1/c5953682989fcd98cd6e5f29553cac87_zps1346b096.jpg

bmiller
02-06-2014, 05:04 PM
PBTP lime green, dry tumbled, baked 400F 20 min, two coats. Looks good, hope to get to range soon to see how they shoot. Will update.
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o310/LibertysSon1/c5953682989fcd98cd6e5f29553cac87_zps1346b096.jpg
Wow those look great! I have been hankering for green!

garym1a2
02-06-2014, 08:09 PM
Here are some pictures of my process. I tried 3 different paints, the first two Powder by Pound. I will add picture and test data once shot. Plus I will dig some out of my dirt hill.

1. Powder by pound RAL 5011 STEELE BLUE . Very good
2. Powder by pound RAL 6010 GRASS GREEN. Great
3. Harbor freight Red. Did not work for me.

See #160 for details
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?220672-dry-tumble-powder-coating/page8

Danderdude
02-06-2014, 09:25 PM
HF Red is working for me right now. I'm on course to have 1 lb cover about 2500 mixed 9mm and .45 bullets.

Gear:
Applied via HF Electrostatic gun
Bullets stood up on Reynolds Wrap Non-Stick Foil on baking sheets
Oster convection toaster oven
Lee tumble lube 124gr round nose .356

Test Gun:
CZ 75BD Police 9mm, bore slugged at .356

1 ES coat of HF Red
Baked 4 mins @375F, 3 mins @400F
12 BHN
Sized down from .360 to .357

9mm: 4.1 gr Unique, OAL 1.088, Tulammo SP primers

I had hell getting 9mm to work in anything. I was ending up with leading every time I turned around. Magma lube didn't fix it. 50/50 didn't fix it. Ben's Red didn't fix it. ALOX didn't fix it. 45-45-10 didn't fix it. .358 boolits didn't fix it. Extra hard didn't fix it. Extra soft didn't fix it. I was near giving up.

It was then that you 21st Century pioneers showed me the way. Not only are these boolits accurate, not only are they pretty, not only do they minimize lead exposure, but they shoot CLEAN. My first experiments yesterday landed 16/16 shots on steel and the barrel looked like it'd just been cleaned. 12 mags later, and only minor powder fouling is present in the bore.

Super Sneaky Steve
02-09-2014, 12:37 AM
961689616996170http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y123/ex500/SSS/Powders_zps5eae2f13.jpg

I tested three powders today. Super Durable Wet Black, Blood Red and Bright Green Splash. All from Powder By the Pound.

Testing was the tumble method.

First, the best. It's by far the SDWB. One coat gave me perfect coverage. It's very uniform and looks as smooth as glass. Going through the sizer it doesn't rub off any of the coat. I think this powder lives up to it's name and will be my go to powder. These things are so beautiful. You can see my reflection in them if you look close.

The Red didn't cover as well but gets second place. This one I didn't feel comfortable with only one coat so I opted for a second. After the second coverage is quite good but it's not as uniform as the SDWB. Going through the sizer some did rub off, but not much. I expect this one to shoot well, but it's not as pretty.

The green, don't bother. Won't stick worth a damn, but I did mix in some black then gave it two coats. It has the worst coverage on the nose area but the Lee tumble design held enough in the groves to make it functional. Like the red, some did get removed with sizing, but not a lot.

Smash tests will happen tomorrow when the lady isn't sleeping.

Liberty'sSon
02-10-2014, 01:26 AM
SSS, while the SDB is absolutely beautiful, the others look quite acceptable to me too. I just don't think a bullet or a Boolit for that matter has to look as shiny and smooth as a Corvette sitting on the showroom floor. I really like the ease of the dry tumble PC method. As to the shaving of the coating, if you are using Lee push through dies, try polishing the inside of the die with some 600 or higher grit sandpaper around a wooden dowel rod. Take care not to enlarge the opening too much. Leadman suggested I do that as my dies were removing the Hi Tek coating I was using. I did it and it worked like a charm.

Super Sneaky Steve
02-11-2014, 07:19 PM
SSS, while the SDB is absolutely beautiful, the others look quite acceptable to me too. I just don't think a bullet or a Boolit for that matter has to look as shiny and smooth as a Corvette sitting on the showroom floor. I really like the ease of the dry tumble PC method. As to the shaving of the coating, if you are using Lee push through dies, try polishing the inside of the die with some 600 or higher grit sandpaper around a wooden dowel rod. Take care not to enlarge the opening too much. Leadman suggested I do that as my dies were removing the Hi Tek coating I was using. I did it and it worked like a charm.

You're right, it doesn't have to be pretty, but the SDWB was the only one that gave good coverage with one coat.

The lazy man in me wins out.

There is a Super Durable Wet Blue that I'd like to try in the future.

runfiverun
02-13-2014, 07:28 PM
sticky-time.
good work guy's, keep it neat and on track...

Mlcompound
02-13-2014, 07:33 PM
I did some more testing with my HF red and matte black. I found that preheating the boolits @ 150 for just a few minutes (warm to touch, not hot) makes the powder adhere very quickly and uniformly. I can tumble for 2 minutes or less and have more consistent coverage than 6 minutes at room temperature. Although, the matte black still does not work. I will be trying it wet soon, but red works great. Good bye wax!

Nikolaus
02-14-2014, 01:57 AM
I casted my first boolits a couple days ago. I decided to go PC route off the bat. So far I am using inexpensive tools and equipment to test. I used the HF yellow, and HF red, shake and bake method. Placed 50 boolits in a cool whip container. Shake for aprox 5 minutes, in circular, or sanding motions. Baked 20 minutes in my Walmart toaster oven. Coatings were applied to 9mm, and .45 acp. 2 coatings applied. The yellow does not work as well as the red. At least for me, the red is probably usable after 1 coat, but it takes 2 to make them look really good. The yellow after 2 coats, looks worse than the red after 1 coat. I have not tested either other than sizing, and hammer testing which they all passed. Even though ugly I would assume the yellow would not led the barrel. If anyone is on the edge for testing this stuff, I highly recommend giving it a try. I got my toaster oven for 15 bucks at Walmart, and the HF powder was on sale in January for 4$ a lb. Sorry no pics today, I cant seem to get my phone to take a decent photo tonight to save my life. But the red ones look really good, except for a little textured look. They come out more matte red than the candy red shown in previous posts from es guns. I think I am going to use the red until its gone, and chalk up the yellow as a loss, or experiment with it with wet tumble, mixing, air brushing, etc.

prickett
02-14-2014, 10:11 AM
sticky-time.
good work guy's, keep it neat and on track...

Thanks for making this sticky!

prickett
02-14-2014, 10:15 AM
I think I am going to use the red until its gone, and chalk up the yellow as a loss, or experiment with it with wet tumble, mixing, air brushing, etc.

Yellow makes a decent second coat after using red for the first coat. Leaves kind of a speckled appearance that isn't unattractive, and allows using the yellow rather than throwing it out. As a bonus, it simplifies knowing how many coats you've applied - red means 1 coat, yellow means two.

popper
02-14-2014, 11:04 AM
Super Durable Wet Black we will need range reports on that powder - looks really good for D-T .

prickett
02-14-2014, 01:11 PM
There is a review for SDWB (PbtP) on post #18 of this thread.

Looks like both PbtP and AllPowders have a "Super Durable Wet Black" powder. I've been eyeing those myself.

I Wonder if PbtP and AllPowders paints are from the same source.

Mortonspoint
02-14-2014, 02:56 PM
HF has 16 oz containers for $3.99. One of there items is #93309. Is this the stuff you all are talking about to shake and bake your bullets?

Sorry, newbe here.

Mlcompound
02-14-2014, 09:32 PM
Yes. That is the one (93309). It is very simple and easy. Having warm boolits helped me alot with more even and thick coverage.

Mortonspoint
02-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Great, this looks like a super way to coat bullets! Cheap to try out so if it doesn't work, well, no big deal. But one question. How much PC do you use in the cool whip container to coat 100 pills?

Thanks.

Nikolaus
02-14-2014, 11:25 PM
I would start with a tea spoon, you can always add more if needed. If you get too much in there it just stays in the bottom and can be reused for the next batch. I only do 50 at a time, you really want them scraping the plastic to make static charge. Not saying more wouldn't work, just have not tried it.

Mortonspoint
02-14-2014, 11:45 PM
And there is no liquid involved, right? So just PC in a plastic container the causes a static effect to adhere the paint to the pills when shaken. Correct? Do a couple of coats for best effects.

jmort
02-15-2014, 12:01 AM
Yes - "Dry PC" Not sure about static electricity generation. Seems like two coats works well.

hunter12
02-15-2014, 10:19 AM
This is all new to me and you guys have me curiosity peeked. Although the lime green really catches my eye, my biggest concern is eliminating the leading and still have hollow point that will work correctly.

why not use the same tumbler you use to clean brass, to coat the bullets?

Is there a go-to thread related to "how to" all the different methods of application?

popper
02-15-2014, 12:40 PM
Prickett - waiting to see how it shoots. I suppose there are several dist. for that powder. One coat coverage sounds good, I'm interested in HV performance. Almost anything works in LV pistol.

totalloser
02-16-2014, 02:00 AM

Nikolaus- I have had *some* luck with yellow. Not spectacular, but looking workable. I haven't gotten to the range to try the load workups so I can't vouch at this point, but here's what they look like.

I couldn't get a decent coat until I preheated them relatively hot.

This is single coat Harbor Freight ES gun. Preheated to about 300F before coating. FWIW I blow off powder from jig with low pressure and the ES energized before cooking, and the SS roof nails clean up quickly with a pass on the wire wheel.

Nikolaus
02-16-2014, 07:42 PM
Total, those are about how my yellows came out. Yours are a little better coverage than mine. Last night I made a thread about my experience with the cheap HF air brush. I made some really nice HF black coatings. Almost perfect! I'm going to experiment more with it tonight.

totalloser
02-17-2014, 04:33 AM
Or you could use the yellow to make orange. Nowhere near as hard to work with as yellow. I kinda like it. Enough that I intend to buy more yellow. Once mixed it seems to work fine. As opposed to barely. The shop lighting is misleading- the color is quite vibrant. Much more than red or yellow alone. Ancient cell pic doesn't help either.

And I did take the yellows out for the load workup. No quirks. Some had iffy coat, too. I think I'm over trying to make ballistic yellow though. :P

Oh and per Prickett's instructions: this is all HF stuff, ES gun, single coat. Orange is NO preheat NO solvent wash (yellow got both) and baked at 400 for 20 min unless I get impatient.

I highly recommend my racks. They work VERY well compared to non-stick tinfoil. Every few bakes I run them across the wire wheel. Boolits do stick to the nails with some variation. Some will fall off after baking, some require some persuasion.

Two 1x4's predrilled and screwed together. Lay out pattern (I use 3/4" centers) and predrill for nails. Pop apart and slip in aluminum flashing and screw them back together. Then tap in nails into all the holes. The flashing sticks out to energize all the nails which are pushing through the flashing. Puny toaster oven bakes two of these at once for a total of 80 boolits per batch.

Super Sneaky Steve
02-18-2014, 08:10 PM
Super Durable Wet Black we will need range reports on that powder - looks really good for D-T .

So far it shoots wonderful in .38 spl. As long as I hold it steady it goes right in the bullseye. 50 rounds, no leading and very little filth on my old Model 10.

russs
02-23-2014, 12:19 AM
like the orange ! I will have to try with tumbling.

russs
02-28-2014, 02:51 PM
Has anyone had any luck tumble coating with a blue color PC ? If so, would you post the brand and name. Thanks

prickett
02-28-2014, 04:44 PM
Has anyone had any luck tumble coating with a blue color PC ? If so, would you post the brand and name. Thanks

Post #16 in this thread lists a blue powder.

russs
02-28-2014, 05:40 PM
Thanks prickett, I did read that post, I was hoping for some other blue choices.

Hillbillychemist
02-28-2014, 09:52 PM
Just got my harbor freight order today... Sans the red powder! Shux I was ready to experiment this weekend and now the powder is on back order. The other sites powder are a pure war price in comparison to the hf ones. I guess I'll try ordering some hf yellow now for next weekend.

russs
02-28-2014, 10:23 PM
Hi Hillbillychemist, Welcome to the site. Do you plan to tumble coat or some other type ?

Hillbillychemist
03-01-2014, 05:55 PM
I plan to tumble coat if I can. Just getting started really. Trying to go the cheapest route as always.

prickett
03-02-2014, 12:47 AM
Color: Super Durable Wet Black
PoP: All Powder Paints
Temp: 400F for 15 minutes - first coat
Temp: 400F for 60 minutes - second coat (then water dropped)
Prognosis: Works. Did one batch using a tumbler and one batch using a #5 tupperware container. The tumbler's coat was thicker and less attractive. The tupperware was very nice.

Update: Did a 15 minute second coat that worked just fine for 9mm and range lead.

345 desoto
03-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Has anyone tried the Powder by the Pound CRYSTAL CLEAR SUPER DURABLE HIGH GLOSS CLEAR, or GOLD NUGGET SUPER DURABLE? The red, yellow, etc are all pretty colors, but I'd like something more subdued...

hanleyfan
03-07-2014, 06:28 PM
Eastwood HotCoat Powder Coat Coating High Gloss Black works great with tumble coating, these boolits I tumbled for 3 min. and than baked them for 20 minutes only one coat needed. Eastwood powder is kind of pricey compared to HF but it works great.98911

russs
03-07-2014, 11:32 PM
Color: RAL 5003 Sapphire Blue
PoP : Powder by the Pound
Temp:400*F 20 minutes
MoA : Dry Tumble, cool whip container
# Coats: 1
For fun after the first coat I spun the tip of some in HF Red using my hand in a vinyl glove and baked again for 20 min.

Hillbillychemist
03-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Powder: all powder paints sdwb

Moa: dry tumble warm boolits in cool whip container for 3 minutes and bake for 20min at 400F

Results: overall satisfied with results. I had a few that were touching on my rack (my fault from being over eager lol). Boolits are crazy shiny and very slick. Can't wait to size and fire these babies!
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/uzyhu9e9.jpg
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/08/e7e9ypu7.jpg

doctorggg
03-08-2014, 08:30 PM
I've had my best luck dry tumbling All Powder Paints Artic Cat Green in a tupperware container. Baked 400* for 10 minutes in a convection oven gives complete 1 coat super glossy coverage. Passes the hammer test. After using some finishing sandpaper in my Lee push through sizer I no longer loose any paint during resizing.

345 desoto
03-09-2014, 12:11 PM
Hasn't ANYBODY tried Super Durable Clear?...

AverageJoe
03-09-2014, 01:55 PM
Hasn't ANYBODY tried Super Durable Clear?...
I have with ESPC method, works the same as normal PC

Hillbillychemist
03-16-2014, 08:18 AM
Put mine to the test yesterday. Very satisfied with accuracy and lack of fouling.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/16/heheqyma.jpg

philproulx
03-16-2014, 05:42 PM
Put mine to the test yesterday. Very satisfied with accuracy and lack of fouling.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/16/heheqyma.jpg

what is your method and what distances your shot that group

Hillbillychemist
03-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Cool whip tumble coat and bake at 400f for 15 minutes. Color is all powder paints sdwb. Group was shot close at around 10 yards but i feel the load is way more accurate than I am. I am very satisfied with it

philproulx
03-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Cool whip tumble coat and bake at 400f for 15 minutes. Color is all powder paints sdwb. Group was shot close at around 10 yards but i feel the load is way more accurate than I am. I am very satisfied with it

nice .....
any residue in the barrel

Hillbillychemist
03-16-2014, 10:22 PM
Clean as a whistle. But I only shot around 20 rounds so far. It's a pretty light load. 4.5g tite group under the 230g pill

Dumpy
03-19-2014, 01:19 PM
That's an excellent idea with the boards. I basically did the same with zip screws in a piece of 1/8" aluminum. I put some grease on the heads of my screws, its conductive and the bullets fall right off after baking. Your casting and bullets look extremely nice

KYShooter73
03-24-2014, 02:35 AM
To all you rifle powder coaters, what specific powder are you useing and where/who are you getting it from?

popper
03-24-2014, 10:56 PM
HF red & white.

BT8850
03-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Ill add my powder to the list here, It is sherwin Williams brand Powdura TGIC powder, color is Equipment Blue. Below is a link to the msds and curing info.

http://www.paintdocs.com/webmsds/webPDF.jsp?SITEID=STORECAT&lang=E&doctype=MSDS&prodno=PLS8-C0020

Tumbled on, Baked in un preheated toaster oven for 12-15min at ~375* Cures hard as rock, sizes easily, and is very shiny and slick. This is 3 coats but only 2 is necessary, more bullets tumbled at a time has proven better coverage with about a tablespoon of powder. These are .401 175g tc from a LEE mold using straight WW air cooled. Have shot them in 10mm and .40sw at about ~1100fps/1000fps respectively, with no fouling and with average fmj accuracy. Lots of fun!!

dilly
03-28-2014, 01:49 PM
Ill add my powder to the list here, It is sherwin Williams brand Powdura TGIC powder, color is Equipment Blue. Below is a link to the msds and curing info.

Where do you get this one? That looks like about what I'm looking for.

Walter Laich
03-28-2014, 05:00 PM
My left over powder in the cool whip containers goes into a separate jar so I don't contaminate the clean powder. Every so often it gets put in the ES gun and I end up with ugly but serviceable pc bullets. After all it's not about the color

nitrohuck
03-28-2014, 07:17 PM
I've just put in an order from PowderBuyThePound for 1lb of Super Durable Wet Black pc.

I am a 100% powder coat newbie, never tried this in my life, so this will hopefully be a testament to how easy the dry tumble method is for "any old idiot" (me).

Thanks for threads such as this one, it's given me massive amounts of very necessary info

BT8850
03-29-2014, 07:32 AM
Where do you get this one? That looks like about what I'm looking for.

To be honest, I'm not sure where you can get it. It was given to me by a friend to mess with so I didn't have to buy any. I think he said he got it from a friend of his that had got some to use on a dirtbike frame. I'll have to see what more I can find out for ya, no guarantees. I apologize, I know this is the "definitive list" and I cant give a definitive answer on where to get it :( I'm not sure how many Sherwin Williams 'outlets' are around anymore but if you have one near you thats where I'd start looking if nothing turns up online. I'm going to try the Super durable wet black next as it seems to be giving just as good of results as the powder I have, as well as being easily replenishable.

popper
04-02-2014, 03:32 PM
The Sherwin Williams stuff appears to be pretty good quality but I didn't find any in small quantities, more like 55 gal. drums & 50# boxes.

Beesdad
04-02-2014, 08:58 PM
The Sherwin Williams stuff appears to be pretty good quality but I didn't find any in small quantities, more like 55 gal. drums & 50# boxes.

I checked with the local Sherwin Williams retail outlet today and they do not stock PC powders and can not order them..

koehlerrk
04-04-2014, 07:57 AM
Well, I guess I'm getting into this powder-coating bit... just pulled the trigger on two pounds of PBTP powder, one Super Durable Wet Black, the other their Super Durable Wet White. Will let you all know how I do, planning on dry-tumbling these.

nitrohuck
04-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Well, I guess I'm getting into this powder-coating bit... just pulled the trigger on two pounds of PBTP powder, one Super Durable Wet Black, the other their Super Durable Wet White. Will let you all know how I do, planning on dry-tumbling these.

x2... Funny you posted that, my situation is almost identical. This will be my first time throwing my lot in with the powder coaters.

My PBTP order should be arriving today, perhaps tomorrow, and I will be dry tumbling as well.

Will be posting results in the coming day or two, I also bought Super Durable Wet Black, if it works I will be trying other colors too.

stoked to see the results~!

koehlerrk
04-04-2014, 02:43 PM
Well, from what folks here have done, it seems that the high-gloss powders seem to cover better when dry-tumbled, and according to the supplier, the "Super Durable" bonds to the underlying material better, so those two aspects combined should make for a top-notch bullet coating. Time, as always, will tell.

brstevns
04-05-2014, 07:58 PM
Is Powder buy the Pound a name of a company to order this colored powder form?

koehlerrk
04-05-2014, 08:19 PM

Yes that is their name... here is their website.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/

They seem to be really good folks to work with.

brstevns
04-06-2014, 10:43 AM
Yes that is their name... here is their website.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/

They seem to be really good folks to work with.

Thanks got a small order on the way. One more question or statement. Please correct me if I am wrong. Shake small amount of bullets with powder in a tupper ware type cantainer , remove bullets and place in a toaster type oven at about 300-400 degress for 10 to 20 minutes. Repeat this progess if need for a second coat. Size as normal! See some people say ground foil ? How are you guys grounding the foil when in a oven?

jmort
04-06-2014, 11:33 AM
Use #5 Cool Whip. Needs to be #5. No need to ground anything, the Cool Whip tub should create some static electricity. I would go 400 for 10 mins.

brstevns
04-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Use #5 Cool Whip. Needs to be #5. No need to ground anything, the Cool Whip tub should create some static electricity. I would go 400 for 10 mins. Thanks! Can't wait to try it out.

PodPeople
04-07-2014, 12:20 AM
Yes - powderbuythepound.com. You can also order from allpowderpaints.com. They have cheaper prices and cheaper shipping. Super Durable Wet Black works great.

silverado
04-07-2014, 03:36 PM
Eastwood hotcoat gloss black worked tumble lubing these lee 105 grain 358s and cost $9 for a half pound in ebay http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/08/a6u8a9ag.jpg

tman_985
04-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Like to add that powderbythepound has a super durable wet blue that closely matches the sherwin Williams blue above, also tried red explosion and both worked well with the dry tumble method.

nitrohuck
04-08-2014, 07:23 PM
Just completed my first ever batch of PC boolits, the results were fantastic!

I can't believe something worked so well on the first try, rarely do I find that to be the case in the reloading world ;)

Using Super Durable Wet Black from PBTP I used the simple tumble method (for about 2-3 minutes in a white plastic little bucket) and then cooked on chicken wire for 10min at 400F

They sized just fine, and while some of them have missing splotches where they were touching other boolits while cooking, they all seemed to function just great.

Accuracy left some to be desired, at 7yrds they made a nice little group with my first few shots fired... but at 50ft they were sort of going all over the place, I'd say about 1' groups from a rest... this could however be a sizing issue, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the PC. Fired from a CZ P-09 in 9mm using the LEE TL356-124-2R

Scout800a
04-28-2014, 11:49 PM
I just got some Plum Purple, Mirror blue and Super durable wet black from All Powder paints. All three coated very easily in my walmart mixing bowl. (not cool whip but still has the "5") So far blue and purple passed the smoosh test.

kfarm
05-02-2014, 10:25 PM
I stopped by the local Sherwin Williams warehouse and talked to the powder coat folks and as said they only have it in 50lb containers. Both of the guys there were shooters. Told them what I wanted to do and spent an hour talking. They gave me a half pound of shiny black to try. Well theirs good news and bad. That stuff went on great good coverage and did not flake in a smash test. However after only 20 rounds it left a black streak which was kinda hard to get out (9mm). Looking on the data sheet it claimed to have a hardness of "H" I'm thinking that is a lead pencil hardness scale which is fairly soft. I'm going back and talk some more and see if I can't get something harder. The S&W is easy to put on looks good with one coat but maybe to soft. I am going to try again but cook them longer to see if that might help. They recommend 400 for 10. I'll report back in the next day or so.

brstevns
05-04-2014, 07:16 PM
I tried the Light Blue from Eastwoods, worked great using the dry tumble method. Hope this was of help.

flyingrhino
05-09-2014, 03:35 PM
I use AllPowderPaints.com. High gloss Cobalt Blue, #5125AI13PC is beautiful deep blue with excellent single coat coverage. RAL6020 is a high gloss deep green. Really pretty. RAL4006 is a dark pink for the ladies. All three of these are great single coat covers.

I shake and bake. Bake at the manufacturers recommended time/temp. I do let the paint start to gloss over before I set the time. This usually takes 3-4 minutes. Using a cheap convection toaster oven. I shoot 300-400 rounds at a time on my outings in 9mm and 45acp. I've never had a single bit of fouling. My method: 1. Cast in my Lee moulds 2. Shake in plastic container with just enough powder to have a little residue left in the bowl after about 2 minutes of shaking. I do about 50-60 at a time. 3. Dump then out on parchment paper (dusted with powder the first use). 4. Wearing nitrile gloves with fingers dusted with powder paint I stand the bullets on oven tray lined with non-stick aluminum foil. 5. Cook as described above. 6. Let cool long until I can stand to touch them then just brush them off the foil. 7. When completely cool run them through my Lee push through sizer.

ryokox3
05-13-2014, 11:39 PM
Here is my first attempt at dry tumbling. For the All Paints Powder Sassy Pink and Mirror Orange, I will in the future use the ES method (Especially the orange, the pink can work with DT but the Orange was not good looking at all) . Still both had acceptable coverage with 1 coat including the smash test and acetone test.

The SD wet black was exceptional, and I will use it for most of my dry tumbling in the future. No need for a second coat.

lksmith
05-15-2014, 10:54 PM
Looks like all the powders people have tried from PC suppliers such as PBTP and allpowderpaints.com work with the DT Shake and bake. Is that Correct so far?

jimbo1950
05-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Looks like all the powders people have tried from PC suppliers such as PBTP and allpowderpaints.com work with the DT Shake and bake. Is that Correct so far?

So far i have used HF red, and All powder mirror blue,and Kawasaki green.They all have worked very well with the dry tumble with as bbs.
Durable black coming today from All powder,will give it a run and report back.

jimbo1950
05-16-2014, 02:16 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/17/dyvy9uju.jpg

Super wet black from allpowder,,just out of oven. works perfect!!

ryokox3
05-18-2014, 01:58 AM
Jimbo, ES or DT method? Either way they look great

jimbo1950
05-18-2014, 07:29 AM
Jimbo, ES or DT method? Either way they look great

I only use the DT method, works very well!

Dutchninja
05-29-2014, 04:52 PM
My first batch of PC Boolits. Some colors have been done before I know but I thought I would add them anyways.

Color: Kawasaki Green (PBTP)
Number of Coats: 1
Temp: 400-425 for 20 (preheated as I was doing a large batch)
MoA Shake & Bake in Rubbermaid containers.
Comments: Some spots not covered, likely due to my inexperience and or not enough Crossman BBs.

Color: HF Red & Kawasaki Green (PBTP)
Number of Coats: 1
Temp: 400-425 for 20 (preheated)
Comments: A few coverage spots on the red but both colors work very well.

Color: JOLLIPOP BLUE (PBTP)
Number of Coats: 2
Comments: 1 coat suffices, but a second coat ensures a nice dark blue and complete coverage. I had one batch that i needed to add more powder on the second bake that didn't turn out as dark (see picture 2). The first picture is a single coat and bake. The second picture is a double.

Color: HF Red then JOLLIPOP BLUE (PBTP)
Number of Coats: 2
Comments: It is hard to see in the photo but the red comes through just a bit. They turn a very dark purple almost black. I was just messing around to see what it would do, however there is a nice clean coat on the outside. I'm going to mess with this method with a few other colors.

All batches were smash tested and came out fine.

AZPaul
06-25-2014, 08:20 PM
Did you guys have to resize all of these bullets after coating them?

prickett
06-25-2014, 11:04 PM
Did you guys have to resize all of these bullets after coating them?

You don't have to resize afterwards, but your boolits may be oversized. I do resize afterwards.

silverado
06-27-2014, 08:29 PM
I only size after coating and it works fine for me with lee sizing dies

prs
06-28-2014, 07:10 PM
Well, I'm loaded for bear on this project; but the relative "humility" is near 100% outdoors and close to 70% indoors with the AC set at 70F. I reckon I had better wait, but I sure got the itch to try anyway. I have hollow pointed H&G 68 boolits, PBP Super Durable Wet Black, Super Durable Gold Nugget, and Super Durable Wet Blue. This should be cool beans for sure. Clue me in, is baking the dry tumbled boolits strictly an out doors proposition due to odor or fumes or could I chance this indoors?

prs

hanleyfan
06-28-2014, 07:39 PM
one powder that won't shake and bake is all powder paints, " sun gold", I could not get it to stick no matter how long I swirled and tossed them boolits. don't make the same mistake I did and pay 14.00 lb for nothing.

StromBusa
06-29-2014, 08:27 PM
one powder that won't shake and bake is all powder paints, " sun gold", I could not get it to stick no matter how long I swirled and tossed them boolits. don't make the same mistake I did and pay 14.00 lb for nothing.

might want to try it again this January when the humidity is zip?

prs
06-29-2014, 08:38 PM
Well, of the powders I listed above; the Super Durable Gold Nugget was easiest and best looking. The Super Durable Wet Black and the Super Durable Wet Blue worked well too. I took a few of the finished black boolits and a few of the blue ones to recoat with the Gold. The dry gold powder clung to them very well, but when it melted the under color mixed with the surface coat to give it a motley appearance like tarnished brass, but still a very smooth finish.

prs

silverado
06-30-2014, 09:54 PM
Well, I'm loaded for bear on this project; but the relative "humility" is near 100% outdoors and close to 70% indoors with the AC set at 70F. I reckon I had better wait, but I sure got the itch to try anyway. I have hollow pointed H&G 68 boolits, PBP Super Durable Wet Black, Super Durable Gold Nugget, and Super Durable Wet Blue. This should be cool beans for sure. Clue me in, is baking the dry tumbled boolits strictly an out doors proposition due to odor or fumes or could I chance this indoors?

prs
I have been doing it in my garage with the door closed... when weightlifting while cooking I got a little light headed but that could have been due to a supplement I was taking... i usually just go get something to drink or something while the power cooks. There is definitely a smell though and only had the one time it affected me noticeably.

silverado
06-30-2014, 10:03 PM
Does anyone know if glossiness is relative to lubricity of the powder?

kungfustyle
07-01-2014, 08:56 PM
Does anyone know if glossiness is relative to lubricity of the powder?

From what I've been reading you should expect about 50fps faster from PC from Cast, but from what I understand the additives that make the PC flat or mat colors do something preventing the static buildup so your boolits wont coat.
I'm new at this and am now set up for a trip next week to the range.

DisinterestedThirdParty
07-18-2014, 08:33 AM
Sears, of all places, has PC powder, on "sale", so I've ordered some...
http://www.shopyourway.com/craftsman-powder-coating-material-transparent-blue/285094

Ships free to your local Kmart or Sears store. We'll give it a try...

They also have green but that looks textured....

brstevns
07-20-2014, 12:10 PM
Has anyone tried the powderbuythepound (Magic Silver)?

el34
07-20-2014, 12:11 PM
Sears, of all places, has PC powder, on "sale", so I've ordered some...
http://www.shopyourway.com/craftsman-powder-coating-material-transparent-blue/285094

$5.21 for 1.5oz = $55.57/lb, yikes. The ad was from 2010, is that where you ordered it from?

kbstenberg
07-20-2014, 12:38 PM
Hanleyfan You might not have wasted your money. It may be that the Sun Gold may spray on OK like the HF Black.

DisinterestedThirdParty
07-21-2014, 03:27 AM
$5.21 for 1.5oz = $55.57/lb, yikes. The ad was from 2010, is that where you ordered it from?

No, I ordered it last week.

I missed that 1.5oz part. Poop. Oh well, we'll have a nice blue batch someday.

ipijohn
07-21-2014, 08:26 AM
Has anyone tried the powderbuythepound (Magic Silver)?

Yep, I got some. Coats and looks good, but don't let your gun get too close to your projectiles when spraying with a ESPC gun. A spark will get you a ball of flame from the powder/aluminum dust being sprayed!

brstevns
07-21-2014, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the reply. Going to try the tumble way .

Yep, I got some. Coats and looks good, but don't let your gun get too close to your projectiles when spraying with a ESPC gun. A spark will get you a ball of flame from the powder/aluminum dust being sprayed!

DisinterestedThirdParty
07-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Well I learned a lesson...

The blue PC arrived yesterday in packets about the size of a hot chocolate pouch. Geeze, there's hardly enough there to bother with...

Yeah, RTFM....

On the up side...
I got the email from Sears to pick it up Monday at the local Kmart - free shipping.

I arrived at Kmart and sat there for 40min while they looked for the package. Couldn't find it. I showed them on the email where it said I get the package in 5 minutes or I get a $5 gift card.

Got a call from them Tuesday...they found the package and, for being a nice person they're throwing in a $10 gift card for my trouble.

So I got the PC and Sears is paying me $7 for the trouble.

Eh...

rsrocket1
07-23-2014, 09:28 AM
$7/hour, you need to get POTUS to increase your pay rate to a "living wage"
:kidding:

fcvan
07-23-2014, 10:42 AM
Prismatic Powder, Fools Penny (copper) using Dry tumble Airsoft. Coated and stuck like crazy on a humid foggy day. Baked smooth as ESPC with little hassle. Cool Whip container, neon green BBs, coated very easy and very even. I dumped the cool whip tub on a cookie sheet and then used hemostats to set onto the non-stick aluminum foil and baked. The down side was the color was a clear gloss top coat so the copper color was very slight but boy howdy did it coat the boolits. I have Ink Black, Tecate Green, and Passion Pink on order, and hope to have the same results with the other colors. For the past year, I've just been doing Harbor Freight Flat Black with their ESPC gun.

Prismatic Powder, good stuff, great service.

celem
07-24-2014, 11:47 AM
I went through this thread and stripped out colors that worked with one coat using dry Shake & Bake. I eliminated wet and electrostatic methods and multi-coats because only the dry Shake & Bake method interests me. The list is attached.

P.S.: I use HF Red with dry Shake & Bake then 400F for 15-minutes. Results have been excellent both visually and in shooting.

62chevy
07-26-2014, 06:44 PM
I went through this thread and stripped out colors that worked with one coat using dry Shake & Bake. I eliminated wet and electrostatic methods and multi-coats because only the dry Shake & Bake method interests me. The list is attached.

P.S.: I use HF Red with dry Shake & Bake then 400F for 15-minutes. Results have been excellent both visually and in shooting.

Wow thanks celem !!!! One would havethought there would be more than eight powders that you can DT with.

Jaymo
08-02-2014, 02:48 PM
Summit Racing wet black works well.
Summit Racing bright orange does not.

ericc
08-08-2014, 08:51 PM
Hello everyone,

Inspired by the great looking results everyone has had I went and PC'd some 38sp round nose bullets (tumble lube design). I used three colors that I had left from another project and used the dry tumble method.

The paints came from "All Powder Paints". From left to right they are Teflon Slip Black, Army Green, and Liquid Candy Blue. The army green was the easiest to apply and produced the best result. It was also a 375F paint the others where 400F. The black was the hardest to get to stick. The blue paint was applied using stainless Ball-cone shot which way too aggressive. It worked but it was uneven. The plastic airsoft balls seemed to work better.

The entire process was fairly effortless. A $19 toaster oven made quick work curing the paint.

Eric

el34
08-10-2014, 10:12 PM
I can vouch for Smoke4320's pink and purple. Great coating. I also tried his orange, a little splotchy but it'll shoot.

1911KY
08-18-2014, 11:18 AM
This was my first go at powder coating. I have some of Smoke's blue on the way and Eastwood's Hotcoat High Gloss Black on the way. I will post those once I get a chance to apply them.

Color: Matte Black
Temp: 395F for 20 minutes then 355F for 15 minutes
MoA: Ricky Bobby'ed (aka Shake and Bake)
Prognosis: A no go! Produces Frankenbullets...
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140818_003710_zpsvhbsavfk.jpg

Color: White
Temp: 355F for 15 minutes then 355F for 12 minutes
Prognosis: it works, just not real pretty
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140818_004053_zpshmjf1jgk.jpg

1911KY
08-22-2014, 12:19 PM
Color: Blue
PoP: Smoke4320
Temp: 355F for 15 minutes then 355F for 12 minutes
Prognosis: it works great
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140822_002950_zpsn7q9lbfl.jpg

Beagle333
08-23-2014, 10:08 AM
Smoke4320 is The Powder Man. Look for his ad in Swappin' & Sellin', or just send him a PM.
He has the powders! Many colors too. It is very fine and fluffy (reacts to static cling better than any I've tried).
Here is his red and green:
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/PowderCoating/gloves007_zps304326b1.jpg

It turns out nice and slick!
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/PowderCoating/sized002a_zpsaf8ad3e7.jpg

I even did some of my .54 cannon balls (just for fun)
http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/PowderCoating/5-26-14015_zps22c82c73.jpg

If you have to tumble and bake twice, change your technique. It will work with one coat.

I do have his blue, purple, and zombie green, but haven't cast anything new due to the heat wave here.

el34
08-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Beagle, you should teach a class.

Them green boolits look 100% as perfect as ES.

CGT80
08-24-2014, 05:21 PM
My powder is from Smoke on this forum. I tried blue, green, red, and pink. I have only done PC once so far, so Smokes powder was my first try in the PC world. It was very easy to use. One coat covered very well, but I did two on some of my boolits. I used the dry tumble bb method and baked for 15 min at 400f. It took about 3-5 minutes for the PC to look like it was melted all over, so I just set the timer for 15 minutes now. I use the small oster convection oven that walmart sells for $40. It was right on for temp compared to me trutel lead casting thermometer. The PC was equal or faster than lube sizing, but it was much more fun that lube sizing, and less tedious. Unfortunately, I have many 9mm and 40 cal commercial bullets to use up, so I haven't needed to PC again.

I PC'd some 30 cal rifle boolits, but they were hard to size as the PC was quite thick. They are a pain to stand up on the non stick foil as well. I will continue to lube size rifle boolits and PC pistol boolits. I don't think the PC from Smoke was to blame, and I don't want to mess with making it work when the rifle boolits shoot quite well, and don't foul the action of the gun.

The PC'd boolits from smoke were very smooth and glossy. They were still easy to handle to seat in the shells. I also use bearcreek moly coated bullets, and they are too slick. They make my hands hurt from trying to hang onto them, and I have fairly decent hands. My dad got fed up with the moly because they are so slick.

The green and pink are my favorite of the colors. Yes, I am a guy and I said I like the pink. The color just pops out at you. I will shoot pink boolits, but I won't wear a pink shirt or tie..............I figured pink might be liked by any ladies I may take to the range.

1911KY
08-25-2014, 01:15 PM
Beagle does have some nice coverage!

I think my issues can be attributed to the 90% + humidity we have had for the past couple of weeks. I did these in Eastwood Hotcoat High Gloss Black and they did about the same.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140823_004231_zpsemyopvpo.jpg

Smoke's powder and Eastwood's are pretty much the same consistency, but Smoke has much better pricing. It was $10 for a 1/2 lb from Eastwood.

kungfustyle
08-26-2014, 06:20 AM
I tried some the other day and it has been brutal with the heat and humidity. All the powder even came off the airsoft bb's and went straight to the bottom of the tumble bowl. I was trying to coat them outside on my porch. Then I took the operation inside and took the top off of the bowl for about an hour. Tried it again and very poor coverage. I'm going to give it a few days and try it again.

kenn
08-29-2014, 09:50 PM
Arctic Cat Green from All Powder Paints. One coat is THICK. Tumbled for about a minute tops. ASBB DT Method.

1911KY
09-29-2014, 10:31 AM
Smoke's Carolina Blue
Shake and Bake DT
390 F for 12 minutes
Can't get much better coverage with DT!

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140929_004802_zpsghvo6cot.jpg

kbstenberg
09-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Celem Your PDF is just what we need for checking paints. Thanks

meicalnissyen
10-03-2014, 08:22 AM
I've ordered powder twice now, and both times some, or all of the order has arrived fused into a block. its been replaced without fuss, but even so, has anyone else experienced this?

prickett
10-03-2014, 08:46 AM
I've ordered powder twice now, and both times some, or all of the order has arrived fused into a block. its been replaced without fuss, but even so, has anyone else experienced this?

Who did you get the powder from? Never had that happen to me, though my purchases are limited to HF and All Powder Paints.

sparky45
10-03-2014, 09:37 AM
Never have had any problems with Smoke's powders.

Rickshaw
10-03-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm new to this........but, I tried the Harbor Freight red dry tumble and it worked for me. I baked in my little cheapo toaster oven that I use for Kydex but I noticed the oven just gets a little over 300F
and not the 400F you all speak of. I checked it with my infrared thermometer. The results are fine @ a single coat. For you guys that are dealing with high humidity.........has anyone tried those little silica packets that say do not eat to bring the humidity down in your tub? Might be worth a try.

meicalnissyen
10-05-2014, 07:16 PM
PBTP, they are very good about the return process, but 2 out of 3 bags from 2 separate orders........

Sneakybuffalo
10-20-2014, 04:36 PM
Just to make sure. HF Red works for shake n bake, but HF Matte Black won't?

Cause I bought the Matte Black thinking there wouldn't be a difference but it isn't working out too well.

prickett
10-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Just to make sure. HF Red works for shake n bake, but HF Matte Black won't?

Cause I bought the Matte Black thinking there wouldn't be a difference but it isn't working out too well.

Correct

Sneakybuffalo
10-20-2014, 06:03 PM
Bah, I even had the red in my hands but didn't like the lipstick look so I put it back. Oh well. Lesson learned, stick to the tried and true.

1911KY
11-02-2014, 12:46 PM
Smoke's clear PC on the right and uncoated on the left.

BBDT baked at 390 F for 12 minutes, single coating

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141031_222455_zpsbpqlak66.jpg

PC coated on the left and uncoated on the right.

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141031_222845_zpsj3uls37f.jpg

Before baking

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141101_002951_zpsi1fp9mnk.jpg

After

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141101_002928_zpsihhyfs9a.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141031_230310_zpsaqjkvcyc.jpg

http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p628/jamesearnett/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20141101_231036_zpsx4qtnhzd.jpg

Whizzer
11-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Those look great! I've got a 4 oz sample of that but haven't coated any yet. Did you Mic any of them for coating thickness?

We'll need a range report when available. I'm really sold on this stuff, and the Dry Tumble method with AirSoft BB's is just stupid easy. Some guys are just dumping them onto on a wire fabric "pan" and baking them. Just like that. The powder falls right through for reclaiming, then into the oven.

That's in the future experimentation list for me.

1911KY
11-02-2014, 08:18 PM
Those look great! I've got a 4 oz sample of that but haven't coated any yet. Did you Mic any of them for coating thickness?

We'll need a range report when available. I'm really sold on this stuff, and the Dry Tumble method with AirSoft BB's is just stupid easy. Some guys are just dumping them onto on a wire fabric "pan" and baking them. Just like that. The powder falls right through for reclaiming, then into the oven.

That's in the future experimentation list for me.

Thanks, I did measure a couple and got .455. My uncoated casts were right at .452. All of the PC that I have got from Smoke has been top notch, I won't buy anything else. I pull mine out of the tub with hemostats without dumping the whole batch.

robertbank
12-04-2014, 06:19 PM
I want to thank all who have posted here for the valuable information provided. I just ordered an oven via Air Miles, 4lb of powder from PBTP - Sarah was very helpful, two Lee bullet sizers (.357 and .358) for 9MM and 38spl. If all this works out I may move on to .40cal and 45acp/45Colt.

Kinda like a new kid waiting for his first two wheeler to arrive. I'll post pictures once I get everything together. I need to find some Aluminum/Galvanized steel mesh to place the bullets on and four tupperware containers for the four colours I intend to use.

Question: will a non stick pan work as in the teflon product work as well as a mesh?

Thanks Again

Bob

ioon44
12-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Non stick aluminum foil is the only thing PC coated boolits wont stick to when baked.

robertbank
12-05-2014, 10:26 AM
Thanks I will proceed along those lines then. I should be ready to go by the end of the month if USPS/Canada Post do their part.

Take Care

Bob

kungfustyle
12-05-2014, 09:12 PM
Non stick aluminum foil is the only thing PC coated boolits wont stick to when baked.
I've used parchment paper every single time and never had any problems with it....

pls1911
12-25-2014, 03:22 PM
Somewhere I've read complaints about the HF blavk powder being clumpy, hence hard to ES coat easily.
I found that a mix of 25% Red to 75% black really makes the black ES coat much better, and still appears black. More red gets you through dark maroon, and all seem to work well.
All seem to stand up to heat treating too....425 -450 for 45 minutes and water quenched...

ChrisCbr
12-26-2014, 04:09 PM
I bought four different powders from all powder paints.

Ktm Orange
Bullet black
Black slip
Super durable wet black

Using the dry tumble method for all powders I found SDWB to be the best with one coat coverage. Next best was KTM Orange. Again good coverage though little lighter in some areas but still covered. Black slip did not stick enough to attempt curing and bullet black did not stick at all using the DT method.

william l evans
12-31-2014, 07:13 PM
Hay guys, William evans here, ran into your thread a few minutes ago about powder coating boolets and was dumfounded. I just retired from a powdercoating company and can get lots of once used powder from a lot of different manufactures. Let me know what you want to try and I will send you some if you pay the freight. I will read more and try this myself.

fcvan
01-04-2015, 07:22 PM
Mr. Evans, congratulations on your retirement! Worked at a powder coating company? How cool is that. I never considered getting powder coat equipment until I started ESPCing my boolits. I've even done some ASBBDT coating with good success. Anyway, I'm sure you will become a popular guy with all of your knowledge and experience. I sent you a private message.

william l evans
01-07-2015, 12:20 PM
I am not an expert in powder coating, I drove their truck to deliver and pick-up from their customers. About every month, I would haul about three tons of once used powder to be destroyed. after reading more on this forum, I see that "smoke" is selling powder. I do not believe that I want to get into the business of selling powder, but would be willing to look for certain brands or colors that someone wants to test. My main objective right now is to cast some boolits so I can play with some PC myself.

cga
01-15-2015, 11:18 PM
Has anyone fired Candy Colors (red, blue, ect.) in a 45-70 / 35Rem. / 30-30? Just wondering if the semi-transparent Candy colors are the same quality and the same process as the standard colors.

pls1911
01-20-2015, 10:50 PM
CGA,
I believe the benefit lies in the polyester coating in lieu of the pigment.
I hope an expert in this materials can confirm that, inasmuch as I now have about 100 30-30 and .45 colt bullets In candy blue!
Hope i get the chance to load and try 'em myself soon

popper
01-21-2015, 01:48 PM
little silica packets No, it didn't work for me. Attempts to use low heat didn't work either.

Slenk
02-10-2015, 09:33 AM
Did my first PC yesterday HF red, shake & bake , used a margarine container. Cooked Boolits for 20 min. at 400 . They turned out great for my first time PC . I did trough in enough Black air soft BBs to cover the bottom of the container. After 40 years of casting , I will not lube again.

jkcerda
02-11-2015, 06:12 PM
do you guys resize before of after PC?

robertbank
02-11-2015, 06:17 PM
I do both from advice received here. To early to comment on results due to weather conditions.

Take Care

Bob

1911KY
02-12-2015, 11:53 AM
do you guys resize before of after PC?

I size after coating.

However, if your mold drops a larger bullet, then sizing before and after may make after coat sizing easier, as PC will add anywhere from 0.001" to 0.003" to your bullet. In my experience, thickness added will be determined by several factors, including but not limited to what process you are using to coat them, how well the PC sticks to your allow, the distribution of your oven heat to produce good PC flow, etc...

ChrisCbr
02-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Yeah, my mold drops at .402 and after PC is more like .405. Given I sizing to .401 that's a real squeeze! They fly true though.

coffeeguy
03-25-2015, 09:34 PM
It depends on the method being used (what works & what doesn't). Using an ES gun is more forgiving and gives a more even coat regardless of the powder; for any of the dry tumble methods I like higher-gloss powders since they flow a little more and make up for any 'blotchiness' you get as a result of too few BB's, too many boolits, high humidity, not holding your tongue right or whatever. Case in point:
135065Black Chrome from PBTP...Look close and you can see the blotchy color, this doesn't like to go on well with the dry tumble methods, regardless of the variables involved but it flows so well that you get complete coverage once it's baked. I actually like the way it looks and it's one of my favorites.

Stilly
04-21-2015, 04:22 AM
I purchased some Mayan Gold Black from PBTP, and Gold Vein and B&W vein from The Powder Coat Store. Then I purchased an Emerald Green from Afterhours Mech (ebay for all three sellers) and I think he said it was made by prismatic.

I dry tumbled them all in a No. 1 plastic container (PETE I think) that I picked up from Smart N Final Express for $1.49 each (got many of them) and put in about 1/4-1/3rd of mixed black .25 and white .20 airsoft pellets. Put in a tablespoon or two of powder, drop in a handful of boolits and put the lid on and the container goes into my Thumler for 15-25 minutes.

That is how I dry tumble everything. Once out I pluck the pills from the container with hemostats (curved) and place them on a pan.
The Green was not all that great, but it DID work out with a small mark here and there. I think it is thin, the others seem to cover very well.

This is the result of my last purchase:

Oh The top two are of Gold Vein and the bottom from left to right is mayan gold black, gold vein, emerald green and bright red on mayan gold black that I will call either mayan gold or mayan black gold (because they do not know how to name things apparently).

The yellow is a mix of HF yellow and another urethane bright yellow to see how many boolits it takes to make the bright yellow bright. These are 9mm.

MBTcustom
06-29-2015, 12:21 AM
I just wanted to give my 2 cents here.
I have wanted to PC some bright green bullets for my 45-70 lever guns, and Beagle333 turned me on to Kawasaki green from PBTP.
The bullets I am using are cast from three molds of similar design, which is the 350 grain Ranch Dog bullet. One mold is an original Lee that I removed the GC shank from, another is a mold I borrowed from Bjornb which is the NOE version, and my own Accurate molds clone. To date, I have only tried the later two, but I will be trying the PB very soon.
The bullets I have tried were prepared as follows:
1. cast of House alloy and air cooled
2. installed the GC
3. sprayed with Frankford Arsenal lanolin case lube.
4. Sized .358 (the 1886 has a .357 groove diameter).
5. laid on a T-shirt and dowsed with 90% rubbing alcohol and rubbed to remove the lanolin.
6. after the bullets were dry, I rolled them into a container with the black airsoft BBs and PC, and then shaken vigorously.
7. a pair of stainless steel forceps was used to reach in and seize the bullets gently on the ogive.
8. after getting hold of the bullet, the forceps were tapped twice on the edge of the PC container. This evened out the coat, and gave a uniform thickness on the bullet.
9.The bullets were baked at 400 degrees for 12 minutes.
10. the bullets were sprayed with case lube.
11. the bullets were sized a second time through the same .458 die.
12. bagged and tagged for future loading.

The bullets prepared in this way produced accuracy equal to that of the best standard lubed bullets in my rifles (3MOA at 100 yards iron sights),
I'm very pleased with them so far.

popper
06-29-2015, 11:27 AM
GOODSTEEL IS POWDER COATING - YEA. Tim, just coat and then size - no reason for the other stuff. I've had trouble with the GC popping off or going crooked when cooked and some fluid is under the GC. I've sized from 313 down to 3085 without lube, doesn't damage the PC (Lee die).

MBTcustom
06-29-2015, 03:43 PM
Did you think I wasn't? Sheesh! Who do you think helped move a bunch of threads from all over the forum to this new section? Who made the airsoft BB thread a sticky? I've been dabbling in PC for a couple years now and I fully supported the creation of a new forum for it.
I've not done much with it though, because most of what I do is the HV thing and I can't get much lift with PC in that regard, but the 45-70s have been calling to me in sultry tones. I decided to step back and do a side by side test of paper patch, PC, and standard lube. The PC hang right with the lube at the speeds I am shooting. It's about as much work either way, but it could be that PC does better in cold temperatures than lube, so I'm going to test it out and see.

The reason I do "all that other stuff" is that if I PC first, then try to seat the GC, damage to the PC around the shank is present. Not only that, but the GC hasn't got as good a hold on the PC surface.
Also, all of my GC bullets get GCs seated on them as soon as they are cool from the mold, so sometimes the first steps are done months before I clean with alcohol and continue.

The reason why I lube the PC bullets before sizing is because I don't like rolling a blister ramming those babies through there, and the case lube makes them slide through really smoothly, and it does no harm that I can tell.

These are accurate and useful. I'm hoping I can get the PB bullets to work as well as the GC version, because honestly, those 45 cal GCs get expensive.

robertbank
06-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Tim you gotta start making them yourself from soda and beer cans. They were slick on my lead pistol bullets. You can get the dies made for lead cast bullets that require a gas check and also plain base. The dies pay for themselves in no time.

Take Care

Bob

popper
06-30-2015, 01:06 PM
I have found the black powder to be very difficult to determine if the coating is covering well even when ESPC. Red and lighter colors are obvious when coating is too light. Smokes black is good but I'll probably switch over to his red.

Smoke4320
06-30-2015, 02:21 PM
I color code my alloy .. Red for 98/2 ( hi speed stuff) and Black for 50/50 (1600 FPS and under)

when I recover bullets its easy to recycle as like alloy :) :)

Stilly
09-05-2015, 12:49 AM
I color code my alloy .. Red for 98/2 ( hi speed stuff) and Black for 50/50 (1600 FPS and under)

when I recover bullets its easy to recycle as like alloy :) :)

That is a good idea. It will not work for me though, I will need about 22 different types of alloys... :D

Beagle333
09-06-2015, 01:04 PM
Smoke sells 16 colors and you can mix some of them for the speckled egg look for the other 6. :bigsmyl2:

Stilly
09-16-2015, 02:15 AM
... Case in point:
135065Black Chrome from PBTP...Look close and you can see the blotchy color, this doesn't like to go on well with the dry tumble methods, regardless of the variables involved but it flows so well that you get complete coverage once it's baked. I actually like the way it looks and it's one of my favorites.

What black chrome is this? Does anyone know. I found Bonded black Chrome and Black Chrome II and I am at the PBTP site ready to purchase but I want to get the right stuff.

I think I will take a chance and just get the bonded black chrome. since it is $17/lb as well.

https://www.powderbuythepound.com/search.php?mode=search&page=1&keep_https=yes

dterninko
11-02-2016, 09:31 AM
Absolute powder Ultramarine blue. Sometimes goes on sale for $1.50 / lb. Worked well for me with shake and bake 400 / 15 min

http://absolutepowdercoating.com/onlinestore/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=177

claudecjs
11-04-2016, 10:09 PM
Just getting started. Had some 30 Cal I found while cleaning my shop and decided to go the ES route. HF red worked great so I purchased some white and yellow. I had red in the gun and wondered what would happen if I added a few spoons of white. Very pretty pink with small dots of red. Will have to load some 308s for my daughter-in-law.

Also did some 38s S&B - Carolina Blue from Smoke that looked great.

When doing S&B has anyone tried rubbing the plastic container on a nylon carpet sample?

Swsws1
11-15-2016, 06:41 PM
Anyone try the "chrome" from powder by the pound?

Grmps
12-04-2016, 03:39 PM
I have had good luck with
RL Treats - Extra Thick Non Stick Grill Mat Toaster Oven Liner- BBQ Grilling Accessories - Sheets for Gas Grills - Set of 3 Mats - 15.75 x 13 - Teflon Coatedhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I22X2FW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

prickett
12-05-2016, 09:58 PM
I bought four different powders from all powder paints.

Ktm Orange
Bullet black
Black slip
Super durable wet black

Using the dry tumble method for all powders I found SDWB to be the best with one coat coverage. Next best was KTM Orange. Again good coverage though little lighter in some areas but still covered. Black slip did not stick enough to attempt curing and bullet black did not stick at all using the DT method.

I've been using All Powder Paint's Teflon Black. VERY easy to run through the sizer! Not as fine as the Super Durable Wet Black, but I do like the lubricity of it.

BC38
12-12-2016, 11:23 PM
Non stick aluminum foil is the only thing PC coated boolits wont stick to when baked. Does the PC stick to stainless steel? Anybody tried it?

Papacasts
03-07-2017, 11:00 PM
Eastwood Translucent Teal:
Shake and Bake @400 for 20 min.
Doesn't work well.

Chihuahua Floyd
04-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Quick question. Is everybody ordering the powder or does Harbor Freight have it in stock?
I have two HF stores within an hour of the house and go those directions fairly often. Really want some NCSU Wolfpack red.
Thanks
CF

Papacasts
04-09-2017, 09:59 PM
I've used HF red with no problems. Although I admit I ordered some from "Smoke"'here on cast boolits and the John Deere Green is awesome!

Apocalypse
04-10-2017, 10:14 AM
For any Canadians reading this: Princess Auto Powerfist powders work for the shake N bake method but the colours are pretty disappointing. Red is more a pastel pink. Black is more gunmetal grey. Blue is dull navy blue.

WickedColt
04-25-2017, 10:16 AM
For any Canadians reading this: Princess Auto Powerfist powders work for the shake N bake method but the colours are pretty disappointing. Red is more a pastel pink. Black is more gunmetal grey. Blue is dull navy blue.
I've got to admit, PowerFist is a pretty awesome name haha. I watch AvE on Youtube sometimes and he is from Canada and he is hilarious!! Isn't Princess Auto sort of like Harbor Freight here in the USA?

Apocalypse
04-25-2017, 10:32 AM
Can't say, as I've never checked out Harbour Freight.

Grmps
05-03-2017, 02:30 PM
This powdercoating is amazing "CARDINAL T353-GR06 Polyester TGIC Semi Gloss Metalic Silver". It coats the bullets almost instantly without BB's, I shake off the excess in a colander then dump on a wire mesh baking tray. Bake for 10 min @ 400 degrees. I never had them stick to each other or the tray. This PC is used on hospital equipment. https://shop.cardinalpaint.com/collections/powder-coating/products/t353-gr06-silver-metallic-30-gloss $62.10 for 4# shipped, you may find it cheaper elswhere

KenH
05-03-2017, 03:07 PM
It seems that Smoke's powder is less expensive than most other places (Other than HF) and we KNOW it works or doesn't work. Smoke gives good info there. I've only ordered the clear from him and it works darn good with tumbling. I might order one of his "sample packs" to get a choice of 3 colors - just to play with. I actually sorta like my bullets looking like lead bullets.

Ken H>

Beetmagnet
05-30-2017, 10:11 AM
My son likes the zombie green bullets. I tried the Kawasaki green powder from Columbia Coating and it tumbles fantastic.

Muddawg900
07-03-2017, 06:42 PM
I just got some Plum Purple, Mirror blue and Super durable wet black from All Powder paints. All three coated very easily in my walmart mixing bowl. (not cool whip but still has the "5") So far blue and purple passed the smoosh test.

Scout800a, What is this #5 you speak of? This is the second post in the thread referring to #5 and the cool whip container.

62chevy
07-03-2017, 10:03 PM
Scout800a, What is this #5 you speak of? This is the second post in the thread referring to #5 and the cool whip container.

The #5 is the recycle symbol usually on the bottom of a container. Comes in that triangle with 3 arrows. Most of the time I have to put my reading glasses on to see it well.

Muddawg900
07-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Mr. Evans, congratulations on your retirement! Worked at a powder coating company? How cool is that. I never considered getting powder coat equipment until I started ESPCing my boolits. I've even done some ASBBDT coating with good success. Anyway, I'm sure you will become a popular guy with all of your knowledge and experience. I sent you a private message.

Fcvan, what is ASBBDT coating? Thanks
-Jacob

Grmps
07-05-2017, 07:12 PM
Looks like Air Soft BB's Dry Tumbling ie shake and bake

Muddawg900
07-05-2017, 08:38 PM
Ah thank you! I'll have to look for a container with that marking. I'm currently using a betty crocker tupperware, that I'm guessing isn't #5.

Muddawg900
07-05-2017, 08:42 PM
Grmps, thank you. For some reason that connection wasn't made...... I just recently started PCing my boolits for my 9mm truncated cone to run through my glock for match shooting. Started with HF red, have had mixed results on quality all dry tumble but not always with the airsoft bbs. Wondering if that's the way I should be going? Some were good with one coat, some were very blotchy and needed a second coat. Have loaded up but not shot, hopefully shooting them soon.

Muddawg900
07-05-2017, 09:38 PM
CGT80, have you had a chance to shoot the pink boolits yet? If so, how did they perform? Any pictures of how the color and coating turned out? Thanks

Jacob

Grmps
07-08-2017, 04:11 AM
HF (HARBOR FREIGHT) red can work but is not one of the better powders. Any powder you get from smoke will be a good powder, tested tried and true, much easier to use than HF powders. He also sells black BB's. If you get the wrond type of BB's they will not help with adhesion. With these powders you need to knock/shake,bump off all excess powder so you get a smooth coat

Muddawg900
07-09-2017, 11:46 AM
Thanks Grmps, I will be looking into getting some powder from Smoke soon. And for the bb's I do understand what you mean. I cast with a friend of mine and he had some white (.12 if I remember correctly) bb's that he gave me to use. They worked ok and still coated fair enough to bake and load but certainly could be better. I just started DT my boolits so I've only done a couple batches worth. This thread has helped me a great deal. Thanks again.

copdills
07-10-2017, 10:15 PM
they look real good guys ,I might give this a try myself

lksmith
07-15-2017, 08:06 PM
I have had good luck with
RL Treats - Extra Thick Non Stick Grill Mat Toaster Oven Liner- BBQ Grilling Accessories - Sheets for Gas Grills - Set of 3 Mats - 15.75 x 13 - Teflon Coatedhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I22X2FW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use nonstick aluminum foil. especially since there's an off brand. I wrap the tray that came with the oven in it.
WOrks surprisingly well

northernlead
09-15-2017, 11:22 PM
Yes blue goes on great,i use Smokes

Grmps
10-04-2017, 02:40 AM
Smokes RAL 5012...Carolina blue is an excellent blue.

Stilly
10-06-2017, 03:53 AM
I picked up some BONDED BLACK CHROME from PBTP and also I had some Solar Rain from either them or prismatic PLUS I had some Mirror Red or High Gloss Red and the red was a base coat (not that great) but with the Solar Rain over it- it was pretty sweet.205300

I really like the Bonded Black Chrome look. I found some other Chrome called SUPER Chrome at either PBTP or Prismatic as well but I did not buy it yet. I think I will wait. It is supposed to be a good base for others.

northernlead
10-08-2017, 08:30 PM
I don't cast,yet, so I buy,anyway I have some Hornady frontier lead swc/hp's and can't get pc to stick. Any thoughts?I use Smokes and I removed lube. Thanks

northernlead
10-08-2017, 08:35 PM
smoke has a signal blue,very nice

Walter Laich
10-08-2017, 10:27 PM
Smokes RAL 5012...Carolina blue is an excellent blue.

agreed, great color

northernlead
10-09-2017, 12:45 PM
+1 Smokes work, shake and bake 15min @400

Littlewolf
10-12-2017, 07:57 PM
i got a fair bucket full of floor sweepings from a powder coat shop i get a broad variety of colors even in the same bake of boolits. however to get it to coat the boolits i have to put an 1/8cup powder and 1/8cup ASBB's into my extra vibratory polisher and run 3-4hrs. dump into a fine strainer to get powder away then a more open screen to separate BB's and knock surplus powder off for smooth coat.

Eddie1971
11-15-2017, 07:55 AM
So far my best has been Eastwood Ford Blue, two teaspoons of it in a plastic protein powder container, with a heavy handful of heads and swirl for 1-2 minutes. No BB's needed. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees....perfect!

Mgvande
12-21-2017, 05:43 PM
Does this powder coating stand up in rifles? Could I use the powder coat method vs let's say alox for smokless rifle chambering.

Grmps
12-26-2017, 04:17 AM
i got a fair bucket full of floor sweepings from a powder coat shop i get a broad variety of colors even in the same bake of boolits. however to get it to coat the boolits i have to put an 1/8cup powder and 1/8cup ASBB's into my extra vibratory polisher and run 3-4hrs. dump into a fine strainer to get powder away then a more open screen to separate BB's and knock surplus powder off for smooth coat.

Not all spray powders are good for DT.

bruce drake
01-02-2018, 11:23 PM
Same question I have regarding PC-coated rifle bullets at velocities around 22-2400fps. Will the PC stand up to this velocity? My Carnuba Red Lube is rated for 2700fps but I've not gotten the accuracy with cast bullets and this lube with velocities past 2100fps.

My goal is to shoot cast lead at 200-300 yard NRA Highpower Matches without the smoke cloud from the standard lubes messing with my fellow shooters.

Grmps
01-03-2018, 03:09 AM
The PC will stand up just fine (to over 3,000), you just need to start paying more attention to the composition and hardness of the alloy

bruce drake
01-03-2018, 09:41 AM
The PC will stand up just fine (to over 3,000), you just need to start paying more attention to the composition and hardness of the alloy

What alloy do you recommend for PC rifle bullets then?

bruce drake
01-03-2018, 10:11 PM
I have a pound of Eastwood PC powders coming in the mail. 8oz of Hotcoat Powder High-Gloss Black and 8oz of Hotcoat White Gloss. So hopefully by this weekend, I should have some rifle and pistol bullets PCed by then.

popper
01-08-2018, 01:25 PM
HF red, 168gr GC, 2400 fps AR10. MOA @ 200. H.T. 4% Sb, 0.5% Cu.

bruce drake
01-11-2018, 02:23 AM
HF red, 168gr GC, 2400 fps AR10. MOA @ 200. H.T. 4% Sb, 0.5% Cu.

excellent and thank you!

bruce drake
01-11-2018, 02:30 AM
Primarily pistol bullets (.38 158gr SWC 9mm 120gr TC and 40 aliber 155gr SWC) with a single coat of powder before sizing through a Lee Sizer, but I did powder coat a supply of Lyman 311359 and Lee 311160 spirepoints for 30 caliber AR10 rifle work and some Herter 323170 (8x57 work) and Mihec 69gr .225 spirepoints for later use in an AR15 . Eastwood's Gloss Black powder is excellent! I did one initial coat for the rifle bullets and then after sizing and attaching a gascheck, I recoated the PC bullet with a second coat to ensure I have enough coverage for the bullet to travel down a rifle barrel without any lead stripping. 400F at 15 minutes was my cooking time for all my runs.

Grmps
01-12-2018, 06:18 AM
Might be my new favorite color.

https://i.imgur.com/Bs8W6AN.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yARbUym.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/sMpTJej.jpg

glockfan
01-20-2018, 12:28 PM
hi guys..i went through the whole thread (11pages) ..someone correct me if i'm wrong,but from what i can se, am i right if i say that eastwood ford light blue is the best PC to use for a starter like me? i've found hi tek to be finicky to use,and the cost associated to messing a batch is what drives me toward the more simple shake and bake method...and i see that the eastwood ford light blue is highly praised....i see a lot of non eastwood products are working good, i'm no way saying eastwood is only way to go,but i want to keep things as simple as possible,and i shoot anything between 300-600 rounds a week,so i can't afford experimentation , my time is gold.....

62chevy
01-20-2018, 01:06 PM
hi guys..i went through the whole thread (11pages) ..someone correct me if i'm wrong,but from what i can se, am i right if i say that eastwood ford light blue is the best PC to use for a starter like me? i've found hi tek to be finicky to use,and the cost associated to messing a batch is what drives me toward the more simple shake and bake method...and i see that the eastwood ford light blue is highly praised....i see a lot of non eastwood products are working good, i'm no way saying eastwood is only way to go,but i want to keep things as simple as possible,and i shoot anything between 300-600 rounds a week,so i can't afford experimentation , my time is gold.....

Take a look at this guy he has excellent powders for shake and bake and he won't break the bank.

res45
01-20-2018, 03:00 PM

I get excellent results with shake & Bake using Smokes Yellow/Green, Carolina Blue and Super Durable Clear, good solid coverage every time. I really don't have a favorite but if I wasn't into colors I would just get the clear and be done with it, it's just hard to mess up. Eastwood has good powders as well they just cost a bit more, I like their Med. Green and Maroon Red.

Grmps
02-23-2018, 06:22 PM
Eastwood chrome
https://i.imgur.com/f7Lfab9.jpg

62chevy
02-23-2018, 07:31 PM
Eastwood chrome
https://i.imgur.com/f7Lfab9.jpg

Wow those look nice.

2wheelDuke
02-23-2018, 08:01 PM
Are those Eastwood Chrome all sprayed or did you tumble them?

Grmps
02-24-2018, 12:31 AM
Are those Eastwood Chrome all sprayed or did you tumble them?

ASBBDT

The chrome went on smoother/easier when I mixed in some silver -- 1/4 teaspoon silver to 1 Tablespoon of chrome

https://i.imgur.com/5LX12Y6.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?251956-Powder-coated-bullets-pics-only&p=4298805&viewfull=1#post4298805

Walter Laich
02-24-2018, 01:15 PM
almost too pretty to shoot . . . almost

charlie b
02-28-2018, 12:44 PM
OK so never used this stuff before but want to start casting again, .308 rifle and 9mm pistol.

I cast a LOT in the old days. I only sized the rifle bullets, mainly due to the gas checks.

So, can I get away with cast, powder coat, load and shoot or do I need to size the pistol bullets after coating? I guess the question is, how thick is the PC?

With the rifle bullets I can see a benefit to sizing after coating. I assume this means that I have to apply gas checks first (sizer?) and then PC. What about using flat base bullets without gas checks? Will the PC stand up to that? FYI, at one time I used to put a polyethylene wad under flat base, lubed rifle bullets. They worked up to 2000fps. If the PC bullets need that it would save a lot of steps vs using the gas checks.

Grmps
03-09-2018, 10:14 PM
Eastwood black chrome works

https://i.imgur.com/M61uCZw.png

OldBearHair
03-10-2018, 12:51 AM
The boolits are Lee 114 gr. .308. Drop at .311 Powder coat is Hi-tek Gold. One coat only. lying on their sides in a Stainless Steel screen. Will not stick to screen. Some stuck together side to side, a couple pair base to base which come apart easily leaving no sign of damage. I twisted two bullets apart that one peeled off the coating in a small narrow line one time only. My Wal-mart oven's fan blows across the screens in a fan shape. Boolits lying inside that area get more heat than those towards the sides. The color variation can be seen. The boolits all pass the Acetone/ Smash test. All go through the Barrick made sizer .3095 undamaged. Working up loads in an older Marlin 336C 30-30 using 4895 powder. Happy with results so far. Need to fine tune some loads up and down to find the better groups. A second boolit a Lee 170 FP is also being tested with 3031 powder. Have shot over a hundred rounds with no leading up to 1900 fps. and some primer flattening. Better grouping around 1800 fps. I will post more results later. Yes they all have GCs. Two pictures on the right are before heat. I did not follow the recommended procedure to the "T". I used a bit more Acetone and shook the bucket a little longer before the sound changed. It pays to stand in a good breeze to avoid breathing the fumes. I have used the Hi-Tek Gold for 9mm and .357 also and it seems to be very easy. Haven't had any failures.

lokepup
03-22-2018, 07:49 AM
My first attempt at powder coating failed, and so did my second. My boolits are not taking a coat from harbor freight red or black.

The 1st method was dry tumble in Lyman turbo with black airsoft BB's. not coat but filled my hollow points nicely :cry:

the second method was to heat boolits to 200 and shake in Tupperware. another fail.

Any ideas? Acetone help? or thinner?

62chevy
03-22-2018, 10:09 AM
My first attempt at powder coating failed, and so did my second. My boolits are not taking a coat from harbor freight red or black.

The 1st method was dry tumble in Lyman turbo with black airsoft BB's. not coat but filled my hollow points nicely :cry:

the second method was to heat boolits to 200 and shake in Tupperware. another fail.

Any ideas? Acetone help? or thinner?

I've had no problem coating bullets that have set around for a year. Keep in mind using the Lyman can take 30 to 45 minutes to coat. Never need to heat any bullets even when cool out. I use the shack and back method with black air soft BB from Smoke, my powder is also from him. I shack for maybe 30 seconds and take a peek if fine I bake if not shake a bit more. BUT if your bullets had lube on them you will need to clean them.

lokepup
03-22-2018, 01:12 PM
It is like the shiny suckers have too smooth a surface to adhere too. Or maybe I am not generating enuff static electricity. That is why iI was asking about making a liquid solution of the powder and give them a bath. Or, dip them and the coat them while moist?

Grmps
03-23-2018, 02:28 AM
lokepup HF PC is not good to work with, some can get it to work others can't.
If you have a case vibrator stick about 200-500 boolits in a ziplock toss in some HF PC, zip the bag, put that bag in another bag then run the vibrator for 5 - 10 min. your boolits should be nicely coated.

Do yourself a favor and buy some PC from smoke4320 a vendor on this site. Ask him for some of his best coating powders (you can get 3 powders in a sample pack) and get some BB's from him (not all black BB's work)

flydad
03-25-2018, 06:24 PM
I have used several of smokes powders and they all work well. i use a cool whip container with the 5 in the triangle on bottom. Very important for creating static. i started using the black bb's , but realized it is not necessary. I shake for 30 seconds to a minute max. Signal Blue, Flame Red and White aluminum all work great.

Bulldog71
04-03-2018, 11:32 AM
It is like the shiny suckers have too smooth a surface to adhere too. Or maybe I am not generating enuff static electricity. That is why iI was asking about making a liquid solution of the powder and give them a bath. Or, dip them and the coat them while moist?

My very first attempt at powder coating with HF Red came out acceptable to me for the price I paid for the powder. I just followed the advice from a guy on YouTube to preheat my bullets at 140 degrees (not more than 150) for only 4 minutes. Then remove from oven, drop them in a margarine container and proceed to shake and bake them. And by the way...I didn't even use any airsoft bb's.
Perhaps the slight preheating helps the powder to stick a little more consistently?

Bulldog71
04-03-2018, 11:46 AM
Well, since then I have moved on to Eastwood brand of powder coating trying various types of colors to find out what works the best as far as even coating and coverage. The samples below are : Ford Light Blue, Maroon mixed with Gloss White which gave a raspberry sherbert color, Sea Foam Green (kind of a teal) and Mirror Black mixed with the Gloss White which gave a Cookies and Cream sort of color. As you can see I got much better results without preheating or using any airsoft pellets.

217537 217538 217539

nhyrum
04-29-2018, 11:28 AM
I picked up some BONDED BLACK CHROME from PBTP and also I had some Solar Rain from either them or prismatic PLUS I had some Mirror Red or High Gloss Red and the red was a base coat (not that great) but with the Solar Rain over it- it was pretty sweet.205300

I really like the Bonded Black Chrome look. I found some other Chrome called SUPER Chrome at either PBTP or Prismatic as well but I did not buy it yet. I think I will wait. It is supposed to be a good base for others.So those red/black ones are a gloss red with the solar rain over it?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jon.Moore
05-01-2018, 09:29 PM
Good looking bullet! What is the mold MFG-? Style bullet-?

Jon.Moore
05-01-2018, 09:43 PM
I started powder coating over a year ago, using "smokes" powder and his BB's (Carolina blue).. done thousands of boolits, never have had a problem- one coat only! My tools: round Rubbermade bowls- Walmart, large tweezers- Harbor Fret. cheap convection oven, non stick trays- "Bed Bath & Beyond" keep powder in 3 layers of plastic zip lock bags to protect against humidity. "Shake & Bake method" stand on trays, bake for 10 minutes at 400 degrees--- that's 10 minutes AFTER it hits 400. Coatings 1-3K thick, size down with NOE's sizing tool. Sorry, no pictures.

bulletrifle1
05-02-2018, 03:35 PM
Hello,
I am a member of this wonderful site, I have been following you for some years and you have been useful to solve some problems related to the world of recharge. I would like to share with you my solution to the powders that "do not work. My solution: the paint we use to coat the projectiles is electrostatic then why not use a mini tesla to" electrify "the projectiles? Then with the help of a friend fraternal self I built a mini tesla (it is also on alìexpress) and I do nothing but turn on the appliance and put on (at a distance of 2-3 centimeters the container with olives and dust !! the effect is amazing !! also because I bought this powder on english ebay but it did not work for shaking ... now with mini tesla it works too well !! Sorry, I wanted to ask a courtesy, I would like to have a collaboration with you: I wanted to know if someone is willing to buy me and send me a pack of electrostatic powder branded Eastwood or harbor freight that here in Europe is difficult to find (I found it in England Eastwood and I paid $ 47 for 8 oz !!with transport). Of course I can return the courtesy if you need some items from Italy.

https://www.ebay.it/itm/Powder-coat-powder-RAL3002-Carmine-red-gloss-1kg-bag-cheap/152941838666?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649219734

Black Jaque Janaviac
05-07-2018, 10:31 PM
A tesla ball to charge the boolits! Now that is awesome. And welcome to Castboolits! Do not worry about the language barrier we're a friendly group.

Now help me understand your situation. You cannot get Harbor Freight powder coat in Italy? Can you get it through their website or through Amazon?

ledes
05-24-2018, 05:49 PM
Hello everyone:
Any more news about using a mini tesla to "electrify" the projectiles?
I am from Europe and it is very difficult to get the powder paints that you use and work ....

thanks

Tripplebeards
05-29-2018, 08:05 PM
HF powder wouldn't stick to my boolits to save my life. I bought smokes powder and have been smooth sailing since. His blue and clear work best for tumble coating for me.

http://i.imgur.com/q4dTvS0.jpg

Tripplebeards
05-31-2018, 11:58 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Dgwran5.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/I60234q.jpg

A few more I did today

Al_Bundy
06-02-2018, 01:19 AM
Can confirm positive results for Eastwoods Black Chrome and Ford Light Blue. Only dud was an Eastwood Black Wrinkle, it's HORRIBLE. Like it clumps up and if you try to shake off the excess powder, the lead will show in blotches because it barely adheres to the boolits surface. Not saying the powder is bad for other projects because it looks like a pretty cool matte black (plastidip) but it just doesn't work for lead boolits.

Grmps
06-06-2018, 07:52 PM
I saw this at a local store "Wholesale Outlet", There might be one near you?????

https://i.imgur.com/SwoRqWi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8j5xhP4.jpg

Al_Bundy
06-07-2018, 11:51 PM
I saw this at a local store

No need to pay that much. A $15 oven from Walmart works just fine and can fit two trays. What's important is monitoring the temp with a laser or oven thermometer to ge sure of accuracy.

bulletrifle1
06-11-2018, 04:20 PM
hello,
sorry if I have not answered before, I have been busy and I am busy making cars to draw the bullets. I bought the powder in England and 1/2 lb it cost me $ 42-45.00 !! if I buy in USA for! / 2 lb it takes about $ 45-50.0, due to customs and transport costs in Italy. If instead a "friend" buys it in the US and sends it to me in private, I do not pay the customs! obviously the product is not new and the jar must be already opened (a gift or a product sent by a friend is not a commercial purchase and therefore the rules are different).

bulletrifle1
06-11-2018, 04:30 PM
I place you (if I can) the photo of the press I'm doing to sizer the bullets.221954

Grmps
06-11-2018, 05:05 PM
PPG White sticks great to the boolit but doesn't cover completely (make the boolit completely white with one coat) this would be a good additive to a poorer sticking PC
https://i.imgur.com/upRsWtX.png

https://i.imgur.com/rhnkXbX.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/PL2jyLq.jpg

Big Boomer
06-28-2018, 02:20 PM
I'm interested in getting in touch with Smoke for some clear powder coating … can't find a way to reach him. Could someone direct me please? Big Boomer

ThomR
06-30-2018, 02:54 AM
I'm interested in getting in touch with Smoke for some clear powder coating … can't find a way to reach him. Could someone direct me please? Big Boomer

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/member.php?29775-Smoke4320
Send him a message.

Big Boomer
07-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Thanks ThomR … need to order some of Smoke's powder. Big Boomer

asmith80
07-19-2018, 12:04 AM
Here's what's worked for me so far :

From Smoke:
Clear
Signal Blue
Both of these coat nicely with the shake and bake method and cover well

From Eastwood:
Mirror Green, Blue, Black
Mirror Green and Black coated the best. Green came out a nice glossy hunter green, and Black was smooth and even. Blue didn't cover so well, and for some reason came out splotchy and kind of ugly. All were shake and bake applied

Powder by the Pound:
Super Durable Wet Black. Same as the Mirror Black from Eastwood. Easy on, good coverage. I lined up a Mirror Black and a Wet Black side by side and couldn't tell the difference.

jules
07-21-2018, 04:47 PM
Eastwood Ford Dark Blue and Maroon works very well using shake & bake. The dark blue was done with Air soft BBs but the Maroon was just powder alone in the containers in the background. About 1 minute shake n swirl. 20min at 400.

Big Boomer
09-08-2018, 01:12 PM
After a few rounds of powder coating with Smoke's clear and having no difficulties whatever, I'm convinced that any coverage or coating issues can be largely solved by taking the components into air-conditioning to do the coating process and problems disappear. For application I use an empty 2 lb. "plastic" gunpowder container with the # 2 in a triangle on the base (and a handy screw-on lid, too). Can't remember what gun powder came in the container. I peeled the label off and kept the cannister in case I might need it for something. Had no idea it would work for powder coating. I use the black air-soft BBs and about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of powder with about 100 to 150 .45 ACP boolits (Lee 230 gr. 2-lube groove boolit) or 200 or so 9mm boolits (Lee 125 gr. 6 cavity RN mould). Coverage is great and per Smokes instructions they cure fine and sticking together is not a great issue. I just pour them out on a coarse screen, shake off excess powder and BBs, separate them with a wood spoon so none are lying on top of each other and bake per the prescribed time. I also water drop after baking in order to hopefully recover some BHN. Can't do pics but with the clear the boolits just look like shiny cast boolits. Big Boomer

GeesCreek
01-13-2019, 11:17 PM
I searched for Smoke4320 to inquire about some of his powder without any luck.

I did contact PBTP and asked about the clear colors. Gal recommended the “Glass Clear” and I’m wanting to preserve the “natural” cast look.

Anyone use the “Glass Clear” from PBTP? How were your results?