PDA

View Full Version : 405 winchester with pistol bullets

winchester85
01-12-2014, 08:42 PM
i have loaded 41 mag pistol bullets in my '95 405 going back to 2006. i have used a jacketed 210gr hornady in the past, loaded with 21gr of imr 4198 with a dacron filler. they only run about 1200 fps, no recoil, feed fine, and accuracy is great.

i just loaded some more tonight and i cant for the life of me remember where or how i came up with the load. for some reason, i question the load now. i have loaded this same load on at least 2 previous occasions. i cannot find any load data in all of my manuals, and an internet search only shows loads with pistol bullets that are hotter loads.

is there anyone doing this same thing?

Le Loup Solitaire
01-16-2014, 01:10 AM
I too have an original 95 in 405 and at one point I casted up a bunch of wadcutters (hollow based) They dropped from the mold at .413 which was about right for the gun. But they wouldn't feed and had to be fed in one at a time. Casting them was a pain..slow process. They shot well with good accuracy out to 50 yards. No recoil or leading. it was a moderate load...there is quite a bit of latitude as the 405 is a strong action so one is not about to overload things. Its ok for just plinking around, but there is more work going into casting the HB wad-cutters and slow loading than is worth it. Using bullets from 40 Cal....which is around .401-.403 is kind of undersize for the 405 and they might be rattling around when going down the bore, but then again if the accuracy is ok, I guess that its working out....although a definite stretch from .403 t0 .412. I guess that any number of powders would work ok in this situation in the 1200-1500 fps range...definitely cheaper than full house loads in the 405 and much easier on the shoulder. LLS

winchester85
01-16-2014, 10:56 PM
the 41 mag pistol bullets run .410 and accuracy is quite good.

singleshot
01-17-2014, 10:50 AM
Yes, I do this exact same thing in other calibers...several. Why would you question something that works?

Out of the virtually infinite possible combinations of decent loads, you'll only find a fraction of them in published form.