PDA

View Full Version : lee dies in a dillon 550

vernb
01-12-2014, 04:39 PM
I managed to get my hands on a dillon 550 for free. it was froze solid with rust but after a few replacement parts and allot of elbow grease it is working nicely. Problem is that its set up for 45 acp. I am gonna get a conversion for 9mm. my question is which dies should i buy. I have never loaded 9mm and im a little unsure of the taper crimp. Ive heard good things of the Lee factory crimp die . Or are the dillon dies worth the money. I plan on using Berry Plated Bullets at first ,then casting my own.

engineer401
01-12-2014, 05:30 PM
I am not a big fan of Lee dies. Lee makes other products I like. You'll find others love Lee everything. The best I can offer is to say use the brand you like best. I prefer CH4D. I have some Hornady and RCBS. I also use the Dillon crimp dies in my 550 press. the nice thing about the Dillon pistol crimp dies is you can remove the sleeve for cleaning if necessary. The sales pitch is that bullet lube or other stuff may build up inside the die requiring cleaning. It is much easier than removing the whole die. Back to Lee. I have tried some Lee dies that seem too short or barely long enough for the 550 press. That is probably the biggest reason I don't use them. Furthermore, I don't trust O-rings in the seater and lock rings. To my knowledge, there are three brands of dies that are suited for the Dillon presses. Dillon, Redding Pro, Lyman 4-die and Lee 4-die ranging in price from $42 to $100. The powder die for the 550 flares the case so you don't need one of those as found with most brands. If you purchase a common 3-die set you may still want to purchase a crimp die in addition to these die sets containing a seater, sizer and flare die adding to the cost. From what I can see the cheapest option is the Lee 4-die set then the Dillon set which is $23 more. I would probably go with the Dillon set.

357mags
01-12-2014, 05:37 PM
Lee dies work fine with the 550. All I own is Lee dies. Load 45acp, 9mm, 38/357, for years with Lee/Dillon combo, no problems at all. Spend the money you save on Lee dies for powder, bullets, etc.

r1kk1
01-12-2014, 09:40 PM
I believe the older die bodies are short, not sure about newer Lee die bodies. I too like CH4D dies. Lee doesn't make all the dies I need. I use about everyone depending on the cartridge.

Take care

r1kk1

Fire_Medic
01-12-2014, 09:53 PM
I recently switched to Lee sizing dies on my 550 before selling it and had no issues. They will work just fine with the 550.

FM

TXGunNut
01-12-2014, 09:56 PM
When I bought my 550 (it's one of the earliest ones) I tried using the dies I had on hand, too fussy for my. Dillon dies worked like they were made for it. ;-) No issues at all with Dillon dies. Times (and dies) have changed but in your place if I didn't already have a set of Dillon dies setting on the bench I'd buy theirs. I don't know what they cost these days but when I was using them pretty heavy they were worth every dime.

Alvarez Kelly
01-12-2014, 10:01 PM
When I bought my 550 (it's one of the earliest ones) I tried using the dies I had on hand, too fussy for my. Dillon dies worked like they were made for it. ;-) No issues at all with Dillon dies. Times (and dies) have changed but in your place if I didn't already have a set of Dillon dies setting on the bench I'd buy theirs. I don't know what they cost these days but when I was using them pretty heavy they were worth every dime.

Yep. If you already own the Lee dies, use them. If not, I would buy the Dillon dies. My 2 cents worth anyway...

mpbarry1
01-12-2014, 10:05 PM
I have some older Lee dies for 357 that are short. it barely allows the lock nut to get a half turn. it works, but i hope newer ones are longer!

WILDEBILL308
01-12-2014, 10:14 PM
By the Dillon dies you won't be sorry. They are made for progressive loaders and have a lot of features that make them worth the price. The only other dies I have used/ recommend are the Redding dies.
Bill

ffries61
01-12-2014, 10:59 PM
If you're loading cast, be careful with a Lee Factory Crimp die, it can swage your bullets undersize. I really like the newer Dillon dies, like what was already mentioned about ease of removing to clean(without losing settings) plus the spring loaded decapping pins, I had trouble with some SPP brass where the spent primer would hang on the pin and get pulled back into the brass,the Dillon dies solved that, nothing wrong with Lee dies I have more of them than any other, also if you go Dillon you get separate seater and crimp die(the expander and bell mouth insert comes with caliber changeover)

Fred

9w1911
01-12-2014, 11:27 PM
my take is and I used to be a huge blue press fanboy is, use whatever tool makes the best ammo, Lee makes many great products no one else makes, and also the Redding profile crimp die and it looks like the Lee FCD are better than the Dillon crimp die, just my .02 I still love Dillon and the majority of stuff I own is Dillon, next dies I am getting are the Forster Ultra seating dies

Westwindmike
01-12-2014, 11:33 PM
I've heard of some people that didn't have enough threads on top for a lock ring, that put the lock ring on the bottom and that worked.

Petrol & Powder
01-12-2014, 11:54 PM
My 9mm setup on the 550 is a little Frankenstein like. The sizing die is a carbide Redding progressive die. The seating and crimping dies are Dillon My 38 Special tool head is all Dillon and the 40 S&W is all Redding. The point is, it doesn't matter. Use what works best for you.
The new Dillon dies are nice when dealing with cast bullets because you can pull the core out of the die to clean it or change bullet seating stems.
Redding products are top notch but expensive. Dillon stuff is good but cheaper. RCBS seems to be in the middle.
I had some Lee stuff years ago but I was never a big fan of Lee products. I will not disparage Lee but I will say that RCBS and Redding have served me very well.

wrench man
01-13-2014, 12:39 AM
I've got LEE 38/357 dies in my RL550B, they seem to work ok?, I also have LEE dies for my 25-20 in the Dillon, they SUCK!
I have mostly RCBS dies and one set of Dillon dies, they all work well.

Fire_Medic
01-13-2014, 12:49 AM
I've heard of some people that didn't have enough threads on top for a lock ring, that put the lock ring on the bottom and that worked.

Not sure if the newer Lee dies are longer but the 40SW sizer on my 550 has plenty of thread lefts with the lock ring on top where it's suppose to go.

FM

medalguy
01-13-2014, 02:32 AM
I prefer Dillon dies since they tend to be a little bit tighter in sizing than other brands. This is a definite plus when your brass might be a bit thin, because it will still hold the bullet tight. Plus the warranty on Dillon products can't be beat.

Fire_Medic
01-13-2014, 09:09 AM
I prefer Dillon dies since they tend to be a little bit tighter in sizing than other brands. This is a definite plus when your brass might be a bit thin, because it will still hold the bullet tight. Plus the warranty on Dillon products can't be beat.

Just a note from a recent personal experience.

I was having issues with Manufacturer (X) sizing die in 40SW, it was buckling my brass. I made some measurements and headed over to a buddies house with my 550 tool head and a couple hand fills of my brass. We tried sizing the same batch of brass on his 650 with Dillon dies, AND his 550 Running Lee dies. The Lee die were actually sizing the brass to tighter spec than the dillon die, and brass sized by both was still being buckled by the other brand sizing die. I was in a pinch and needed to load some ammo for a few matches and my friend lent me his Lee Sizer to use at home and the die worked like a charm, and the ammo was perfect with no issues. This is what led me to order some Lee sizers. I also like how the decamping pin will pop up before snapping.

I am not in any way bashing Dillon, I have been using nothing but Dillon since 2008, but for a fraction of the price the Lee Carbide dies will serve one just as good.

One thing loading on progressive presses has taught me is that if you try and push the pace too fast, bad things can happen, and one annoyance is the mating can get hung up, regardless of whether or not you have dies "made" for a progressive press or not.

This was my recent experience. I am VERY satisfied with the bang for the buck on the Lee dies and I have been using other dies exclusively for years that cost more than the Dillons.

Just my $0.02
FM

vernb
01-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Well I ordered dillon dies. We'll see how they treat me

Old Caster
01-15-2014, 02:25 PM
vernb, just the ease of cleaning the dies when lube and other junk gets on them will make them worth while. The Lee's will work and are cheaper but the Dillon dies are better and 15 years from now you will be so happy that you bought them.

dudel
01-15-2014, 02:33 PM

Not sure about that. One of the features Dillon claims is the larger than normal flare/radius at the base of the sizing die. This makes the die work easier in progressives where there may be more alignment slop than on a single stage. I don't see how Dillon can size tighter, when the base is looser.

Dan Cash
01-15-2014, 03:18 PM
I use other brand rifle caliber dies on my 550s but use Dillon's for pistol calibers. They are more easily adjusted, seating dies readily cleaned without removing the die from the press and without loosing adjustment, auto calibers are taper crimp and slight misalignment of case with die is compensated by the shape of the die mouth. They are worth every penny and you will never replace them.

Fire_Medic
01-15-2014, 03:41 PM
Not sure about that. One of the features Dillon claims is the larger than normal flare/radius at the base of the sizing die. This makes the die work easier in progressives where there may be more alignment slop than on a single stage. I don't see how Dillon can size tighter, when the base is looser.

They don't as per my previous post. The lee sizing Die sized tighter than the Dillon. When I first started reloading I was loading 40 S&W only and switched my Dillon dies for Redding Pro Series dies because the Dillon was not fully sizing some of the brass down at the base and they wouldn't pass the case gauge.

Just my $0.02 based on my experiences.

The Redding Pro Series T/C dies have worked great for me and size tighter in the pistol calibers I have used than the Dillon's or the Lee's, but recently for 40SW it was sizing too tight.

I switched to the Redding's at the advice a member here, but this was years back on another website. I never regretted that decision. The Redding Pro Series dies also allow the recap pin and seating stem on the seater die to be removed without taking the die off the tool head, so Dillon is not the only game in town for that feature.

FM

dudel
01-15-2014, 04:25 PM
The Redding Pro Series dies also allow the recap pin and seating stem on the seater die to be removed without taking the die off the tool head, so Dillon is not the only game in town for that feature.

FM

Hornady has those features as well. The clip is on the bottom. Release the clip, and the seater and crimper drop into you hand. Clean the seater and crimper (or change the seater profile), push the assembly back into the die, set the clip, and all settings are preserved. Hornady uses a collet to hold the decapper pin. Similar to Lee except that it's lightly threaded so it seems to hold better, and is easier to adjust.

Fire_Medic
01-15-2014, 05:10 PM
Hornady has those features as well. The clip is on the bottom. Release the clip, and the seater and crimper drop into you hand. Clean the seater and crimper (or change the seater profile), push the assembly back into the die, set the clip, and all settings are preserved. Hornady uses a collet to hold the decapper pin. Similar to Lee except that it's lightly threaded so it seems to hold better, and is easier to adjust.

Will look into the Hornady Dies for new stuff but have been very happy with all of my Redding Dies thus far.

Johnny_Cyclone
01-15-2014, 06:25 PM
Per the Lee Precision FAQ page
http://leeprecision.net/support/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/132/14/length-of-threads-on-lee-reloading-dies

Length of Threads on Lee Reloading Dies
Posted by on 19 October 2011 02:04 PM

Lee Dies of current manufacture (post Jan. 2002) have longer threads than previously manufactured dies. This was done for those who prefer to use our dies in other brands of presses that have thicker toolheads, turrets or castings. Unfortunately, we can not guarantee that the die will work with all brands of presses as far as length. The die bodies are standard 7/8 x 14 threads and will thread into any industry standard press.

Dies of older manufacture had threads which measured 1.75" while current dies have threads of 1.85". This measurement should be taken form the bottom of the die body to the top of the threads.

There is an exception pertaining to pistol bullet seating dies. Since this die is adjusted to sit further up than other dies, they have not been modified.

Petrol & Powder
01-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Redding dies are top notch and I use a mixture of them. Redding is my primary brand of die for loading rifle cartridges. My only issue with Redding is cost. While they are outstanding dies, they are also expensive. I can often find RCBS or Dillon equipment that will do the job.
When quality and durability are my main criteria, Redding/Saeco gear is always my first choice. I just wish my wallet could stand that strain more often.

jmorris
01-15-2014, 08:36 PM
I use lee dies in every Dillon model except the SD (they won't fit). With some setups I have had to put the jam nut under the tool head, likely for the reason than Johnny posted.

Garyshome
01-15-2014, 08:43 PM
Lee dies work fine with the 550 with all the other standard dies which is just about everything made!

Fire_Medic
01-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Redding dies are top notch and I use a mixture of them. Redding is my primary brand of die for loading rifle cartridges. My only issue with Redding is cost. While they are outstanding dies, they are also expensive. I can often find RCBS or Dillon equipment that will do the job.
When quality and durability are my main criteria, Redding/Saeco gear is always my first choice. I just wish my wallet could stand that strain more often.

Yes sir and I agree 100%, the only thing I was alluding to was "for me" the dillon dies are not a whole lot less than the Redding Pro Series T/C dies (comparing new to new), and IMHO if you can buy Dillon Dies you can spend another $10 or so for the Redding's. Comparing the Pro Comp Redding Dies to Dillon dies is another story though, and it's also not an apples to apples comparison.

FM