PDA

View Full Version : Stolen Rifles

waksupi
01-12-2014, 04:12 PM
CLA member, Tim Hodges, contacted our office for help in finding information on two stolen rifles. Please read his request below and contact him or the CLA office you have any information at all.

In late December 2013 or early January two important Kentucky rifles were stolen from a residence in Dallas, Texas. One is signed “ J Dickert” curly maple full stock, 4 piece brass “large daisy” patchbox flintlock, incise carved stock with old surfaces. The other is unsigned, a side opening brass patchbox, flintlock, curly maple full stock, long molded cheekpiece with brass star, unusual style, and diminutive size.

See www.AspenshadeLTD.com (http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.AspenshadeLTD.com%2F&h=uAQFNBzvu&enc=AZMeAv-5WyCm7tjySRJ1h3EaYHEc-JnX9GTtbEOnR4enSzSb1JYSeBzZDCWpM6cMg42rWzR0hfRFB5j L8kQv3Yc5rkLeQlQDMx53yoUWoGdOhJ-AR8tZMuVMqH_mwvRH5o8&s=1) for complete description and photos of both rifles.

Contact Tim Hodges at aspenshade@comcast.net 540 664-0572

starmac
01-12-2014, 04:30 PM
Now that downright sucks. It is one thing to have something stolen, but when it is something you can't replace it is something else.

I hope they turn up in the condition they were stolen.

w5pv
01-12-2014, 04:42 PM
Beautiful pieces,I hope they are recovered soon in good as when they were taken.Then I hope who ever took them gets put down like a rabid dog.I hate a thief!!!

DeanWinchester
01-12-2014, 04:47 PM
I hate thieves. I'd like nothing more than to make a human monopod out of one of those stocks by forcibly inserting one into the thief's .......well, you get it.

I'm sorry, I sure hope you find them.

country gent
01-12-2014, 04:54 PM
Beautiful rifles and alot of history in them Stories to be told. While I truly hope they are recovered in that fine shape and condition as they are currently in. As individual as these rifles are they may be in some unscuplus colleters ollection now. Thieves dont normally want items that "stand out" and are easily identifiable. It is truly a shame that suh fine remnants of history are treated in this manner.

AkMike
01-12-2014, 05:28 PM
Some crackhead will try to pawn them for a pittance for more meth.

knifemaker
01-12-2014, 05:49 PM
In the advent it was a drug user that stole them, have your friend prepare flyers with photos and give them out to all the local pawn shops. As a LEO I have done that and solved cases and recovered stolen property. One of those cases was the recovery of about 30,000 in stolen jewelry. A pawn shop manager recognized the jewelry from the photos in my flyer and called me to state they had the jewelry taken in on a buy. Suspect got 5 years and full recovery on the victim's jewelry.
Most LEO agencies will run firearm serial numbers, but I am sure there is no serial numbers on these flintlock rifles, and photos will be the best bet.

Taylor
01-13-2014, 08:12 AM
Beautiful pieces,I hope they are recovered soon in good as when they were taken.Then I hope who ever took them gets put down like a rabid dog.I hate a thief!!!

You damn right,horse whipped!!

oldred
01-13-2014, 09:04 AM
In the advent it was a drug user that stole them, have your friend prepare flyers with photos and give them out to all the local pawn shops. As a LEO I have done that and solved cases and recovered stolen property. One of those cases was the recovery of about 30,000 in stolen jewelry. A pawn shop manager recognized the jewelry from the photos in my flyer and called me to state they had the jewelry taken in on a buy. Suspect got 5 years and full recovery on the victim's jewelry.
Most LEO agencies will run firearm serial numbers, but I am sure there is no serial numbers on these flintlock rifles, and photos will be the best bet.

That works! about 15 years ago I recovered my fathers Ruger Security Six that way, it was a rather special revolver to us but had no particular extra value to anyone else. It was unique due to some mods I had made by polishing some parts and having custom grips so I passed out pictures to all the pawn shops in a 50 mile area, that took three days and would have taken longer but I (or rather the local police) got the call before I even hit them all!

oldred
01-13-2014, 09:18 AM
You damn right,horse whipped!!

Horse whipped is what they need for sure, some of these scum don't fear a short time in the lock-up and unfortunately a short time is all they usually get (if even that!) because of over crowding.

That incident with the Security Six I mentioned is a good example, the guy was arreasted but because it was a first offense (at least the first time he had been caught that is!!!!) he was let off with a slap on the wrist and never spent a single day in jail except for when he was first arrested and then that was less than 48 hours.

I learned later he wound up in prison for a little incident in Texas a year or so later. Seems one of his drug pals got his stash stolen and called him to cry about it, this genius then grabbed his shotgun and ran over to his buddy's apartment to comfort him, when he arrived he threw open the door to find that his buddy had also called the police to report the break in! So there he stood looking at his buddy, his buddy's wife and 4 Dallas police officers all the while holding a 12 ga double barrel shotgun with 12" barrels!

Pb2au
01-13-2014, 05:26 PM
May all thieves burn slowly in acid.
I lost a 3rd model Burnside carbine in fine condition plus two other half stock percussion rifles to scum like that many moons ago.
Pictures and info saved and forwarded.

Idz
01-13-2014, 06:28 PM
I wish the fed's would allow civilians to access their stolen weapons database. Individuals have no way of knowing if the firearm they wish to purchase has been reported stolen. It sure would be nice to be able to go on a website, enter make and model, and enough of a serial number to check a stolen weapons database. The system they have now is antiquated, inaccurate, and only available to LEO. Just think if the whole country was watching out for the thieves!

knifemaker
01-14-2014, 01:45 AM
IDZ; Many LEOs will run a serial number and make & model of a firearm for a civilian. I used to do it all the time upon request when private sales were legal here in CA. The only condition I had is if it came back stolen, they would tell me who is trying to sell the gun. If they already had the gun, tell me who they got it from. In CA. now we do not have that problem anymore as all sales must go though a licensed firearms dealer. CA. wants their money for the fees attached to a firearms transfer or sale.

Harter66
01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
The SO will run them here too. I don't believe there is a fee. I have cross posted this on a couple of other places. Maybe it'll hit and they will come home.

possom813
01-14-2014, 11:24 AM
Subscribed for crossposting when I get on the computer

mold maker
01-14-2014, 06:15 PM
I wont even consider a buy without a call to the SO. No point in being found in possession of a stolen weapon.

Dean D.
01-14-2014, 11:29 PM
That J. Dickert rifle is a true piece of American history. I hope they are able to recover both successfully.

MaryB
01-14-2014, 11:59 PM
Bury them next to a fire ant mound and stomp on a few ants...