PDA

View Full Version : Scales ?

Boaz
01-12-2014, 03:48 PM
I'm gathering up to reload , mostly pistol ammo . I will be buying a scale this week and wondered if anyone had an opinion on brand or requirements to look for ? The possibility's seem limitless , there are lots of scales out there . Plus what other supply's would you think handy to use them . Thanks for any idea's ! Boaz

dilly
01-12-2014, 03:58 PM
I don't have a specific one to recommend but I do recommend getting a weight check set, and I do recommend starting with a beam scale. If you decide on a digital one in addition later you won't regret having a beam one as well.

country gent
01-12-2014, 04:08 PM
You need to decide if you want digital or a "mechanical" type scales. Read the reviews on them closely. There are many oyt there that will do the job. I have a gem pro 250 good total weight range and reads to 0.02 grains. Look at lyman rcbs hornady. Sinclairs, Midways, Graff, Midsouth, widners, and several others carry them and have reviews. Cabellas, Gander Mountain, Maybe Bass Pro Shops and local Gun shops have them to look over. Some may even allow you to try them with known weights. A used one might be found at local gun shows even. Research and learn all you can about the diffrent scales available. I have an RCBS 5-10 thats 30 years old and sill accurate. I have an original dillon (1500 grn capacity) thats still good. And the gem pro I just upgraded to. Trickling to a digital can be harder than a beam type do to lag. Air currents can affect the scales also.

JSnover
01-12-2014, 04:17 PM
Some check weights would be good. I love my RCBS 505. I hated my Lee scale. It worked but changing weights was a giant p.i.t.a.

Daddyfixit
01-12-2014, 04:39 PM
My first was the RCBS 505, no regrets. I wouldn't recommend a digital for your first. Here's a link for a Dillon at a fair price:
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/3018

Boaz
01-12-2014, 08:52 PM
I had wondered about the check weights and it makes sense to be able to recalibrate . Being an old guy the mechanical scales have a certain lure for me , Thought about a good beam scale with a digital scale as backup , checked out the link on the Dillon scale and it looks promising . Some of the chi nee scales are so cheap they scare me . I'm trying to get good equipiment that will last me and that I'll be happy without the buyers remorse syndrome that we all have suffered at some time or another . In the process I'm trying to go slow and get it right the first time . Thanks for your taking the time to help me out with your thoughts and personal experience .

dbosman
01-12-2014, 09:11 PM
Most any of the knife or razor edge magnetic damped scales will be fine. Oil damped is fine too, just slower. Cheap digital is just that, cheap.
Test weights will tell you how accurate your scale is and if you need to adjust it. Factory FMJ bullets make great test weights.
If you know anyone who works in a medical lab where they weigh small quantities of chemicals, they can weigh snips of paper clips to make you small test weights.

dragon813gt
01-12-2014, 09:27 PM
It's 2014. Buy a digital as a primary and a beam as a backup. Spend the money on a digital that plugs in. PACT makes a very good one for a fair price. The best option is to pay for a RCBS Chargemaster since it's both a scale and powder dispenser. Like I said it's 2014 and a lot of people find it hard to give up their old ways. I have a beam scale and powder trickler incase the power goes out. But they remain in the cabinet and I use a PACT and Chargemaster all the time. A set of check weights is required for any scale. You get what you pay for when it comes to digitals. Pay up and you won't have issues.

TXGunNut
01-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Started out with a RCBS balance beam, still use it now and then. I used Pact scales for years but the RCBS ChargeMaster is nothing short of awesome. As my friend on another board says; "the clouds will part, the sun will shine and angels will begin singing" when you get that ChargeMaster up & running. I'll always have a BB scale but quite honestly they're expensive. The digital scales are so fast & accurate you'll be using them to QC boolits, sort cases and check finished loads. Some folks even weigh primers but I think I'll stop short of that.
You can (and I did) make very precise loads with a BB scale, dippers and a trickler but if you're going to load over a couple hundred rounds a year I think a digital scale should be primary and when you run across a good BB scale snatch it up. Most can be cleaned and calibrated quite easily and sometimes there's just no substitute for a BB scale.

smokeywolf
01-12-2014, 10:22 PM
I favor the mechanical beam scales. I use an old Redding oil damped scale and an old Ohaus 3100 Dial-O-Grain scale.

smokeywolf

dbosman
01-12-2014, 10:33 PM
My favorite tool for pistol reloading is my RCBS Little Dandy powder dispenser.
I bought all the rotors that were available at the time, couple of decades back, and store them in a plastic 12ga shot shell box.

FLINTNFIRE
01-12-2014, 11:02 PM
I still like my balance beam rcbs 505 and 5-10 both set up at eye level and check weights to use , though I have never had an issue with either . Do not feel the need myself for a electronic scale , but everyone has their own needs or wants , balance beam is going to be less costly for accuracy .

engineer401
01-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Once the balance scale is zeroed, it will remain zeroed. My 505 scale works without issue. My digital RCBS scale requires rezeroing regularly. If I use a battery it shuts off automatically. Otherwise, I must plug it in. Simple is always better. The digital scale stays in the drawer.

dragon813gt
01-12-2014, 11:49 PM
I've said it many many times. Battery powered scales are junk. My PACT has been on for over two years w/ no need for rezeroing. I've observed that age has a lot to do w/ scale preference. The older you are the less prone you are to trust digital devices. And the reverse is true for the young. I don't not trust analog. I just find it to be to slow.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-13-2014, 12:13 AM
My recommendation would be for a balance beam scale. they are moderately priced and accurate to 1/10th of a grain which is really all you need. You can buy one of the major brands or do a search on E-Bay loading scale auctions where you might score one for under $20. I have used two Reddings for several decades now and they have always done a good job. I keep them honest with a set of checkweights. Those can be bought (kind of pricey) or you can make your own using coins or pieces of copper wire. Whatever you use should be weighed by a pharmacist or a school scale and the weights should be marked so you know what is what. Some balance beam scales are magnetically balanced or use an oil dampening system; you don't need either but they are a convenience for slowing down the swing time of the beam. As long as your checkweights tell you that your scale is doing its job accurately you can set your powder measure or weigh bullets with confidence and safety. LLS

Lead Fred
01-13-2014, 12:33 AM
cant go wrong with a RCBS 505, being your doing pistol rounds. I have two 10-10s (one RCBS one OHaus)
they are a tad big for pistol powders. They are the best scales made.

As far as electronic scales, I rate them about like Lee's imported junk. They all are temperature finicky.
I have better things to do than wait for a scale to tell me I can use it. Ive waited 45 minutes before.
Then I pull out my 10-10, do the job, and gave away the new fangled stuff.

01-13-2014, 12:35 AM
Hmmm, didn't know that gravity was analog.

dudel
01-13-2014, 11:45 AM
A few thoughts.
1) stay away from the Lee Safety scale. It works, but it's the most user Unfriendly tool I've ever had the displeasure of using.
2) stay away from cheap digital scales. Some will claim accuracy, but few will handle the sensitivity. As a test, cut a 1/4" square of paper. Drop that in a balance beam, and you will see deflection (think of powder trickling). Do the same with a digital scale, and most will take several squares before you see a change in the readout. This can be several 10ths of a grain. Not a big deal in rifle rounds (unless at max); but more of an issue with small pistol rounds or rounds with 3-4 grains of propellant. It's not cheap to build a GOOD digital scale.
3) I still use a Hornady beam scale. It's worked fine for the past 20+ years, and I've never had to change batteries. It's magnetically dampened, so it settles quick. RCBS, Hornady, Lyman and Dillon all have good beam scales that won't break the bank.
4) You'll read about people with digital, checking them against their beam scale. What does that tell you? Gravity doesn't lie; but digitals get fooled by noise on the electrical line, power fluctuations, and a number of other issues. With a beam scale, you need to read it at eye level to prevent parallax. Easy peasy.

In full disclosure, I DO have a cheap Harbor Freight digital scale. I do NOT use it to weigh propellant. It does come in handy to count boolits using the count function. Put 10 boolits in the pan, set the function, dump a handful of boolits in the pad, and it tells me how many are there. There it just needs 100+ grain sensitivity. Even a cheap scale will do that!

01-13-2014, 01:04 PM
A few thoughts.
1) stay away from the Lee Safety scale. It works, but it's the most user Unfriendly tool I've ever had the displeasure of using.
2) stay away from cheap digital scales. Some will claim accuracy, but few will handle the sensitivity. As a test, cut a 1/4" square of paper. Drop that in a balance beam, and you will see deflection (think of powder trickling). Do the same with a digital scale, and most will take several squares before you see a change in the readout. This can be several 10ths of a grain. Not a big deal in rifle rounds (unless at max); but more of an issue with small pistol rounds or rounds with 3-4 grains of propellant. It's not cheap to build a GOOD digital scale.
3) I still use a Hornady beam scale. It's worked fine for the past 20+ years, and I've never had to change batteries. It's magnetically dampened, so it settles quick. RCBS, Hornady, Lyman and Dillon all have good beam scales that won't break the bank.
4) You'll read about people with digital, checking them against their beam scale. What does that tell you? Gravity doesn't lie; but digitals get fooled by noise on the electrical line, power fluctuations, and a number of other issues. With a beam scale, you need to read it at eye level to prevent parallax. Easy peasy.

In full disclosure, I DO have a cheap Harbor Freight digital scale. I do NOT use it to weigh propellant. It does come in handy to count boolits using the count function. Put 10 boolits in the pan, set the function, dump a handful of boolits in the pad, and it tells me how many are there. There it just needs 100+ grain sensitivity. Even a cheap scale will do that!

I could've written that - 100%
I have around 25 different beam scales and a proper digital scale (Ohaus lab scale) I always use a beam for powder and a digital works well for bullets and cases.

Rifle rounds I'm only interested in accuracy so always weigh each charge, pistol rounds I would tend to use a turret press and something like the Lee auto-disc measure.

A good beam scale like an RCBS 502, 505 or a Redding No 2 will last a lifetime if not abused.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVOoGd1bDU

JSnover
01-13-2014, 05:06 PM
Another thought: Check weights don't have to be bought as such. Gather a few common items of known weight and put them aside for that purpose. Sierra MatchKings work well.

Riverpigusmc
01-13-2014, 07:22 PM
I use an RCBS 502 as my primary scale, and a Frankford Arsenal cheap digital for quick measures...the digital always measures .2 over the beam scale. Use the Little Dandy with an adjustable rotor to throw pistol charges. Bought the Lyman check weight set for about 35 bucks...cheaper than replacing a pistol or a hand

ACrowe25
01-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Depends on budget. I recommend the beam from RCBS.

Or if you're into it... the Chargemaster combo. You'll never look back and when you do get it--- you'll wonder why you waited so long!

Boaz
01-13-2014, 09:39 PM
Wow, so far there are more plugging the old fashioned way , would have never guessed it . When I posted this thread I thought I'd have to pick through the recomends on 'new wave' tech . Having to readjust my thinking but it's not a bad thing , as I stated before .......I like mechanical 'stuff'! Boaz

John Boy
01-13-2014, 10:02 PM
http://dx.com/p/1-7-lcd-high-precision-digital-jewelry-scale-50g-0-001g-4-x-aaa-101011
Has the best strain gauge of any digital I've owned. No drifting - resets to tare all the time and accuracy is dead nuts on measured with calibration weights
Strain Gauge ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strain_gauge

Boaz
01-13-2014, 10:28 PM
Read the wikipedia info John Boy (little confusing for a simple mind ) and was impressed with posibilitys and the price is amazingly reasonable !

BNE
01-13-2014, 10:53 PM
RCBS 505 has worked for me for 14 years and is still like brand new. Easy to use.

oscarflytyer
01-13-2014, 11:02 PM
Used an RCBS 505 for nearly 30 yrs. No complaint.

John Boy
01-13-2014, 11:17 PM
Boaz, the strain gauge is the heart of a digit scale. Finding an accurate scale at a reasonable price that measures 0.001 grams and 0.01grains is near impossible until I found this one. Have had it for 3 years and it hasn't lied to me yet
RCBS 1500 Chargemaster ... $189.99

Large LCD displays grains or grams and weighs precisely to +/-0.1 grain (Expensive with a cheap strain gauge)
Note: Plus or Minus 0.1gr for the RCBS ... Not Exactly 0.01gr!

I used to use Neva's that measured exactly 0.1 but they were discontinued

Bullwolf
01-14-2014, 01:22 AM
I own and still use an RCBS 505 scale. It has worked great for decades. It's my baseline for weighing loads, and double checking other scales. One will run you around $100 bucks or less used. Works great without batteries, or when the power is off.
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/skus/p_100011586_2.jpg

I trickle sometimes using a more expensive RCBS Chargemaster 1500. It's a pricey yet incredibly convenient tool. Even more so when dealing with extruded or other hard to meter powders. It's also a darn good digital scale all by itself, and a dispenser system. The Chargemaster 1500 comes with it's own set of calibration weights.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_187904efc51e484b72.jpg

I recently picked up an inexpensive Frankford Arsenal DS-750 digital scale from Midway for around 30 dollars. I originally intended to use it for double checking powder charges, and speedily weighing my own cast boolits. It comes with a single check weight.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52376&d=1305084667

It's fast and simple to read, and I have caught a couple of calibration errors I might have made while setting up other scales when using it.

I use it for quick measurements where extreme precision accuracy is not so important, much like the inexpensive calipers also pictured.

A micrometer takes a more precise measurement, and so does a higher end balance beam scale, but for quickly checking thrown charges for inconsistencies or cast boolits for gross weight variances, the Frankford Arsenal stuff has been pretty hard to beat.

I've read mixed reviews about the FA scale. You can take a look for yourself at close to 300 reviews on Midway.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175512/frankford-arsenal-ds-750-electronic-powder-scale-750-grain-capacity
Maybe I got lucky, but mine has been a champ. I really like this handy portable little scale, and I use it for all sorts of things now.

It is a somewhat sensitive scale, but as long you do not exhale heavily on it and center what you're weighing mine has been dependable, consistent and repeatable. For what it cost me it's been a great supplement to my balance beam scale, and has been every bit as good as an older more expensive Dillon digital scale purchased back in the 1990's.

- Bullwolf

shuckinthecorn
01-14-2014, 09:30 AM
I bought a Redding #2 some time ago. It's the most accurate scale I have ever had, and it's made 100% in the USA, unlike many other brands. Below, is copied from their website:

We invite you to test the Redding Model 2 Scale!
Put it side by side with any competition regardless of price. Using tweezers, drop one or two granules of powder into the pan and watch the scale beam pointer react, then do the same with our competition. Next, zero the scale properly and move the small 1/10 grain counterpoise 3/10 grain. Watch the scale beam pointer move to an indication of -3/10 grain. Try this with our competition. Every Redding scale manufactured is individually tested and adjusted to U.S. Bureau of Standards Approved Master Weights, and guaranteed accurate to less than 1/10 grain!

dudel
01-14-2014, 10:12 AM
I bought a Redding #2 some time ago. It's the most accurate scale I have ever had, and it's made 100% in the USA, unlike many other brands. Below, is copied from their website:

We invite you to test the Redding Model 2 Scale!
Put it side by side with any competition regardless of price. Using tweezers, drop one or two granules of powder into the pan and watch the scale beam pointer react, then do the same with our competition. Next, zero the scale properly and move the small 1/10 grain counterpoise 3/10 grain. Watch the scale beam pointer move to an indication of -3/10 grain. Try this with our competition. Every Redding scale manufactured is individually tested and adjusted to U.S. Bureau of Standards Approved Master Weights, and guaranteed accurate to less than 1/10 grain!

Bingo. Most people get hung up on accuracy, when sensitivity can be just as important. People also get confused about resolution (which varies depending on the number of bits used to encode the information). Just because you display two digits after the decimal point doesn't mean you getting .01 accuracy.

I have a cheap Harbor Freight digital scale (looks very much like the FA scale). It can also be confusing. Which is grains or grams (g or gr)? It will show .1 grams; but does not show .1 grains (well, it does, but the manual says in fine print (very fine) that the 1/10 grain is extrapolated. Not a problem since I use it for counting boolits. The resolution of the scale, when in grains, is 1 grain. Not great for powder; but if you got it, and tried to use it, you'd see 1/10 grain displayed, and go happily along.

For me, I just don't see the benefits of digital scales at the moment. Things change, and I'll keep an eye out. The old maxim still holds true. Good, fast, cheap. Pick any two.

shuckinthecorn
01-14-2014, 10:27 AM
I will never use a digital scale for weighing powder. I don't like a digital caliper either. If I take my old Starrett out of the case and needle doesn't go all the way to zero, I know there is something preventing it from closing completely, so I clean it off, the needle goes back where it should, and all is well. With a digital, there is no such indication, I guess you just touch the zero button without any way to know for sure it's completely closed. I'm just old fashioned about a few things and don't plan to change.

jmort
01-14-2014, 11:20 AM
"RCBS 1500 Chargemaster"

One of the better made in china scales.

dudel
01-14-2014, 12:35 PM
I don't like a digital caliper either. If I take my old Starrett out of the case and needle doesn't go all the way to zero, I know there is something preventing it from closing completely, so I clean it off, the needle goes back where it should, and all is well. With a digital, there is no such indication, I guess you just touch the zero button without any way to know for sure it's completely closed. I'm just old fashioned about a few things and don't plan to change.

Looks like I'm not the only Luddite. I have both old and new style calipers. I can't count the number of times I pulled one of the digitals out, just to find the battery was dead. How many spares to you have to keep around and not have them go flat? Then I go get the battery (they're organized), pull the old one out, hope the cheap battery hasn't leaked in the unit, clean it up when it does, insert new battery, dispose of old one, update inventory. It's often easier and faster to just reach for the manual one.

I'm old school; but I do have an appreciation for some new stuff (just not ALL the new stuff).

It's easy to fall into the trap that digital is better. In some cases it it; but not in all.

country gent
01-14-2014, 12:51 PM
I use both digital and mechanical scales depending on what Im doing and where. Same with measuring tools, I have viernier dial and digital calipers, vernier digital and comparative michrometers. Also used for the application at hand. For truly preccisionn work a granite plate indicator and stand set to gage blocks. Scales are only as good as the settings if you dont check with check weights at the setting How sure are you its actuall right? I have 2 sets of the rcbs check wieghts to calibrate and check settings. A pain at times but I know for sure 36 grns is 36 grns.

ukrifleman
01-14-2014, 01:53 PM
I have used a Lee scale for many years with no issues.
I don't find it difficult to use and it is accurate, I know this to be correct, because I gave 2 separate charges to 5 shooting buddies and asked the to check weigh them using their own beam scales.

I gave each one a 20.0gn and a 5.8gn charge. The results came back as follows.

Redding No.1 scale 20.0 - 5.8

Redding No.2 scale 20.0 - 5.8

RCBS 505 SCALE 20.2 - 5.9

Redding No.2 scale 20.0 - 5.8

Lee scale 20.0 - 5.8

The discrepancy with the RCBS could be inaccurate zeroing or possibly, a damaged beam giving a false reading. (something that can't happen to a Lee because the beam is made of phenolic material which doesn't bend)
The Lee will either break or be accurate.

I am not saying the Lee couldn't be improved, the damping could be better and unless the pan is in line with the beam, it can vary 1/10gn.

Each to his own, but I see no reason to spend 5 or 6 times as much for a scale just to do the same job as a Lee, that has has served me well for many years.

I have proved its accuracy by comparison to the other popular brands and am confident in it.
ukrifleman..

jmort
01-14-2014, 02:01 PM
The Lee Precision scale is as accurate as anything out there. I have two. Since I use dippers I have little use for a scale except to get dipper charge weight when I get new powder. I use calibrated electronic scale for everything else.

mdi
01-14-2014, 02:35 PM
For a new reloader I'd suggest a beam scale by any of the major manufacturers (RCBS, Lee, Lyman, Hornady, etc.). I prefer the K.I.S.S. principle for a learner, much easier to learn the reloading operations if the scale is easy to learn to use.

Nuttin' wrong with a Lee scale, just that some cannot or will not learn to read a vernier poise. I have seen and experienced 10 times more failures/problems with digital scales than my Lee scale, it works accurately and repeatedly every time (I have a nice Jennings digital, but I pushed the "wrong" button and now it "freezes" in the set-up mode). I like mine because it can be locked at a specific setting (I have 4 beam scales, I just can't pass up a bargain). I have an excellent Lyman/Ohaus beam scale that if I'm not careful the .1 gr. poise can very easily be bumped or bounced out of the notch and change setting, usually goes heavier. Lee gets a bad rap because it's different, made of "unconventional" (to some) materials and inexpensive. Yep it's slower than some magnetic dampened scales but not all and it's just as accurate as any.

shuckinthecorn
01-14-2014, 06:36 PM
Stopped by a LGS this evening and they had a new 505 RCBS on the shelf. I was determined to see where it was made and on the bottom of the box finally found, "Made In China"
They came from Mexico for a while, guess that didn't work out. Why was it on the bottom? Could they not be wanting us to see that?
I'll stay with my mechanical Redding. It works better than my USA made RCBS 10-10 ever did.

Petrol & Powder
01-14-2014, 10:10 PM
I would recommend the RCBS 5-0-5 as a good solid mechanical scale and the Dillon digital scale as a dependable but not too expensive electronic scale. I used a RCBS 5-0-5 for years, gave it to a friend and missed it so much I obtained another one. You can't go wrong with the RCBS.

ravelode
01-14-2014, 10:59 PM
I use a RCBS 750 digital and Dillon beam as a check I keep the Dillon in my Herter's dust cover :wink:

Bullwolf
01-15-2014, 01:36 AM
Looks like I'm not the only Luddite. I have both old and new style calipers. I can't count the number of times I pulled one of the digitals out, just to find the battery was dead. How many spares to you have to keep around and not have them go flat? Then I go get the battery (they're organized), pull the old one out, hope the cheap battery hasn't leaked in the unit, clean it up when it does, insert new battery, dispose of old one, update inventory. It's often easier and faster to just reach for the manual one.

I'm old school; but I do have an appreciation for some new stuff (just not ALL the new stuff).

It's easy to fall into the trap that digital is better. In some cases it it; but not in all.

Dudel, I agree with all of your points, and I feel the same way myself. I often reach for the older stuff that I'm more familiar with first. Because of that I quoted you for my reply.

As to the battery issue in my digital equipment, I keep a few spares on hand,(often in the box so I won't lose them) and when I am done using my electronics, I simply remove the battery to prevent the battery from discharging, or from leaking and ruining my equipment.

I didn't mean to turn this into a micrometer is better than calipers discussion by any means. It's just that both tools have their places. I wouldn't use a micrometer to measure a loaded cartridges overall length with. Just as I would not use a caliper to measure a slug or anything else where I needed a precise measurement that's accurate to .001 or .0001.

For most reloading purposes, a tenth of a grain in weight variance is not a big deal, as folks using Lee dippers have proved for years. I would rather have a scale that was off by a tenth of a grain, than no scale at all.

A good scale that's easy to read and understand is a solid investment, whether or not its a balance beam scale, or a digital one. Some of the inexpensive electronic scales out there perform quite poorly, some are better. An inexpensive balance beam scale will however rarely have any issues. A lot of this kind of preference will be personal opinion, based on each individuals experience using the selected equipment.

While I prefer the mechanical tried and true stuff, as my eyes grow older I have found the digital equipment to be well lit, and easy to read. I find it easier to photograph as well.

Pulled a Boolit after using a Lee FCD, Is it still .452 or is it .451?
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=52388&d=1305432442

I also have a better success rate teaching new re-loaders how to use measuring equipment by starting with the digital stuff first to learn on. After using that as a baseline once they have learned the feel of how you measure an item try handing over a click micrometer and have them duplicate the measurement with that.

Maybe its just a lot to take in all at once if you have never taken precise measurements before.

Like everything else, your experiences may vary.

- Bullwolf

shuckinthecorn
01-15-2014, 05:26 AM
I would recommend the RCBS 5-0-5 as a good solid mechanical scale and the Dillon digital scale as a dependable but not too expensive electronic scale. I used a RCBS 5-0-5 for years, gave it to a friend and missed it so much I obtained another one. You can't go wrong with the RCBS.

So, you don't have a problem with the new ones being made in China?

gefiltephish
01-15-2014, 02:18 PM
Unless something has changed in the past year or so, I believe both the Dillon beam and RCBS 505 are the exact same unit and made by Ohaus here in NJ.

shuckinthecorn
01-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Something indeed HAS changed. I reported exactly what I saw printed on the box. I have emailed RCBS about this and will post their response when I get it.

GLL
01-15-2014, 05:46 PM
The magnetically dampened RCBS 304 (OHAUS) "Dial-O-Grain" is the one I use most often!
Many people mistakenly think these are gram balances !

http://www.fototime.com/D744026476CC13F/orig.jpg

http://www.fototime.com/DA3040C7B9B7391/orig.jpg

Jerry

Petrol & Powder
01-16-2014, 06:04 AM
As for being made in China, I would prefer a different source but if they're built to the same specs, China may have to do.
My scales are older so I can't comment on the quality of the new ones.
I will say that there are different levels of quality regardless of the manufacturing location and even stuff made domestically can be junk.

01-16-2014, 09:21 AM
Unless something has changed in the past year or so, I believe both the Dillon beam and RCBS 505 are the exact same unit and made by Ohaus here in NJ.

I have a batch of the Dillon scales that I believe were made in Mexico and a recent RCBS 10/10 has a sticker marked "Made in China" on the base.

shuckinthecorn
01-16-2014, 09:52 AM
As for being made in China, I would prefer a different source but if they're built to the same specs, China may have to do.
My scales are older so I can't comment on the quality of the new ones.
I will say that there are different levels of quality regardless of the manufacturing location and even stuff made domestically can be junk.
I admire your brand loyalty, used to feel that way about RCBS myself, but am more into loyalty to the workers in my own country now.
Made in China does not "have to do", neither does made in Mexico. Domestically made products can be junk as you say, but can also be very good. Most likely, the Chinese and Mexican stuff will be the junk you mentioned, especially in reloading products.
Redding is totally committed to products made in the USA, and their scale is second to none.
http://www.redding-reloading.com/total-quality-since-1946

dudel
01-16-2014, 11:07 AM
I admire your brand loyalty, used to feel that way about RCBS myself, but am more into loyalty to the workers in my own country now.
Made in China does not "have to do", neither does made in Mexico. Domestically made products can be junk as you say, but can also be very good. Most likely, the Chinese and Mexican stuff will be the junk you mentioned, especially in reloading products.
Redding is totally committed to products made in the USA, and their scale is second to none.

Not to hijack, but I feel the same way. I'll go without primers, before buying Tula. When we give the business overseas, and our businesses suffer for it. And since I don't want to go without primers, the solution was to stock up on primers high and deep.

Smart Reloader is a prime example of overseas junk. Not all overseas stuff is junk, and sometimes you need to go offshore; but then you have to wonder why. Shop for a TV recently?

Petrol & Powder
01-16-2014, 05:53 PM

Redding equipment is very high quality and I admire their commitment to keep their manufacturing in the U.S.
However, quality comes at a price and there's a tipping point where I can no longer justify buying American just to buy American. There are some that resist buying products sourced from outside our country and would feel my compromise is harming our country. I don't believe my personal boycott is going to have an effect on a company's out-sourcing strategy. Companies do not exist to make products, they exist to make profits. If a company cannot make a profit due to high minimum wages, union contracts, onerous regulations and taxes; they can either raise the price of their product or find a way to reduce their costs. Reducing costs often requires outsourcing.
I WISH that wasn't true but I KNOW that it is.

shuckinthecorn
01-16-2014, 08:19 PM
Using Midway USA for comparison, I just priced some scales. The RCBS RC130 with a plastic base and pan is $46.99. (read the reviews on this ***) The 502 is $74.99 and the 505 is $92.99.
The all USA made Redding #2 is $83.99. Yes, companies exist to make profits, and using all Chinese labor, RCBS seems to be doing quite well.
I can't understand for the life of me, why people want to support them, while there is still the option to buy from a company with the commitment that Redding has made. I have a lot of their products now. Their type S bushing FL sizer die set is simply the best way to resize a case I have ever found. I bought their #2 scale only to use as a backup until my 10-10 came back from repair. Then, I saw how much more sensitive it was than anything I had ever used and decided that it was no longer the backup scale, but the one I was going to use. My 10-10 is on the shelf and I haven't even sent it back. The statement from them in post #30, is a fact. Their magnetic dampening and the use of stainless steel beam supports do make a big difference, and you really have to see it for yourself, to appreciate it.

Petrol & Powder
01-16-2014, 08:28 PM
I have no doubt the Redding gear is top notch and I'm glad to hear they provide a U.S. made alternative at a competitive price. I own some Redding / Saeco equipment and it is some of my best gear. I hope they can make a sufficient profit margin to remain competitive. I will purchase from U.S. companies when that option is available but when it is not, I will base my decisions on quality and price, not simply where it's made.

shuckinthecorn
01-16-2014, 08:39 PM
I won't buy junk from any company.
When you can get, made in the USA and quality together in the same package, why not?

Petrol & Powder
01-16-2014, 08:47 PM
I won't buy junk from any company.
When you can get, made in the USA and quality together in the same package, why not?

Agreed

01-17-2014, 03:14 AM
Just as an add on here - I have just received one of the new Hornady beam scales. It's a simple 2 poise scale the same as the Redding No 2 or the RCBS 502. I've run through the range with checkweights and it's well within a tenth grain throughout.

Metal body, magnetically damped and clearly states on the box MADE IN USA.