PDA

View Full Version : Something Old, Something New

NVcurmudgeon
08-30-2005, 02:51 AM
Monday is my usual range day, but the Washoe Zephyr indicated that shooting would be a fruitless undertaking today. Accordingly I fired up the old Coleman and ran off 200 or so booits from my latest gun show treasure. it is a Lyman 32360. If I hadn't been dazzled at the time by finding an Ohaus 30190S for Cobb Mtn. Mac, I might not have bought the 32360. It turned out when I got home that I had bought a very old, great condition, Loverin type, PLAIN BASE mould! This is apparently a 19th century design, as the list reference on CASTPICS is from a 1909 Ideal handbook. This book mentions the 6mm Lee Navy (1895) but not the .32 Win. Special (1902.) Anyhow, I now have a mould for a 228 gr. boolit casting .324". The mould is the easiest caster I have ever used, most boolits drop out, and a few have to be shaken out. One curious characteristic, that I attribute to a large boolit in a very small block, is that castings are frosted no matter how much I turn down the heat. In fact, I turned down the heat so low at one point that the alloy started to freeze. If the mould gets too hot, shrunken bands begin to appear. Looks like this mould is a perfect candidate for the BruceB method. In the absence of a Scheutzen rifle in my safe, the 32360 might turn out to be useful for very light loads in 8 X 57. The mould was the something old. The something new is NAPA dgf 123. A good spray of this on the top of the blocks and bottom of the sprue cutter eliminates lead smears. Goodbye lead pencils and graphite sticks!

David R
08-30-2005, 06:11 AM
Using the BruceB method, no lead smears on sprue plate or block ever again. It works for me.

onceabull
08-30-2005, 11:29 AM
NVc-------n: seems like having URNY along at at Gun show brings a fine harvest..CBM is real pleased with the Ohaus find( talking something about "happy as a dog with two xxxxx's and lots of fireplugs)...Your treasure would likely bring a fine price from the collectors @ e-Bay,I've bought a # of shotguns for less that that mould would sell at, and Deputy Al can testify to my tastes in fine shotguns...Onceabull

Willbird
08-30-2005, 12:38 PM
My only Laverne bullet mold I had I sold to a guy here, hope he loves it (I dislike them personally) But in running it to get the sizes to offer it for sale I noticed that it made frosty bullets very easily, just like you describe.

A Laverne bullet if you think about it does have a lot more surface area than other designs do, so it should heat the blocks quicker.

Bill

Leftoverdj
08-30-2005, 12:41 PM
NVc, can you supply the NAPA stock number for DGF 123? My local NAPA never heard of it but will order it if I can get the stock number. I also tried NAPA Online without luck.

Scrounger
08-30-2005, 12:59 PM
[smilie=l:
NVc, can you supply the NAPA stock number for DGF 123? My local NAPA never heard of it but will order it if I can get the stock number. I also tried NAPA Online without luck.

LeftOver, I can mail you a can from here. They only want $10.95 :roll: per can!!!!! With , say, $7 for shipping, that is still a bargain. [smilie=l: Did I ever tell you, all the merchants here are thiefs?

StarMetal
08-30-2005, 03:55 PM
Left,

You can get on NAPA website and order anything you want right to your door and not much more for what you pay local for it with tax, at least the tax here in TN, which is 9.75 percent.

Saves on expensive liquid gold, err I mean gasoline.

Joe

Wayne Smith
08-30-2005, 05:43 PM
Yes, please post the stock #. I doubt you want to be sending it all over the country! My store doesn't carry it either.

Scrounger
08-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Here's a link to a place that sells it. They have full information about the manufacturer and addree.
http://www.emedco.com/emed2/resource/msds/msds_view.asp?pd=ca&pf=cbshm

And another
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/drygraphite5200.php

NVcurmudgeon
08-30-2005, 07:12 PM
Leftover, Balkamp makes the graphite spray for NAPA. The stock no. is:
NAPA Balkamp 765-1413.

StarMetal
08-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Nvcurmudgeon posted the wrong stock number at least it's not the same as on my napa online. The number is BK 7651413 . Here's the webpage for the item in discussion: http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=15622395&prmenbr=5806

Joe

Slowpoke
08-30-2005, 08:53 PM
Yes, please post the stock #. I doubt you want to be sending it all over the country! My store doesn't carry it either.

After reading the article by Jay C DYE in the Fouling shot I went to the Napa located on Jefferson AVE between Denbigh and Ft Eustis and bought two cans.
good luck

C1PNR
08-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Leftover, Balkamp makes the graphite spray for NAPA. The stock no. is:
NAPA Balkamp 765-1413.
That's exactly what it says at the bottom of the can I just looked at. It's great stuff for lots of purposes!:-)

Leftoverdj
08-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Thanks, all.

My store may even have it now that I know what NAPA calls it.

buck1
08-30-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks from me also! My Napa didnt have a clue what I wanted!! ........Buck

Finn45
09-02-2005, 07:08 AM
My only Laverne bullet mold I had I sold to a guy here, hope he loves it (I dislike them personally) But in running it to get the sizes to offer it for sale I noticed that it made frosty bullets very easily, just like you describe.
Bill

Hi Bill, That would've been me? Thanks for the latest. I sure like the mold and it cast alright now although I nearly screwed it up for good... I managed to pick faulty handles for it (good looking small Lyman alright) and dropped it because wood slipped off from one tang. It took some aligning and tweaking to make it straight and some lapping to drop well, but it works now making round bullets without steps on the joint area. Results have been mixed, I shot them 407's from 50 meters with m39 making not so very good grouping and set last 4 cartridges aside continuing with other styles. After finishing other session at 100 meter range I shot those last four as a last call to go home; they hit very high compared to other lighter boolits, but those four holes formed a nice almost square group very close to one inch in diameter. I think there's some more to come with it. That mold and 311466 are the reasons why I joined mod.311407 group buy. These make frosty bullets quite easily and if mold and alloy is cooler they might drop nice and shiny, but there could be occasional open voids between the bands and who knows how many hidden ones... But still...

Nobody wants to know but I'll tell anyway... napa is belly button (among other things) in my language...

NVcurmudgeon
09-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the Finnish language lesson. Napa is also the name of a city, a river, and a valley famous for excellent wine in California. I will enjoy telling my brother-in-law that he lives in belly button!

David R
09-02-2005, 05:13 PM
Finn,

Same here for me, 311466 is a great boolit, so I got in on the 311407. Something different for everyone :)

David