PDA

View Full Version : Another deer

44man
12-03-2007, 08:48 PM
I spotted three at 50 yd's this evening. Doe season opened this morning. Wind has been gusting to 55 MPH all day. They walked an expanding circle through the thick. I finally got a little opening to get a boolit into. I used my own 325 gr WFN. I was shooting my Vaquero and just had enough light to make out the sights.

dubber123
12-03-2007, 09:07 PM
Good job! You have more deer this season than I will get in the next 10 years! Congrats.

GP100man
12-03-2007, 10:31 PM
44man
meat in the freezer!!!!!!!

GP100man

:castmine: :cbpour:

44man
12-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Yeah, thats 5 so I quit for the year. My neighbors got meat and I have enough. I will miss all of doe season and muzzle loader too but thats OK.

jeff223
12-04-2007, 08:26 AM
there you go 44man another one down:drinks:

im planning on taking a doe or two in the late doe season but i dont really need the meat.i will just give the meat away to a family that needs it....i like to have my hunting done with before the real cold and nasty stuff moves in for the winter

44man
12-04-2007, 09:12 AM
I don't mind the cold being from Ohio. My problem is that the wife keeps asking why I need to kill so many deer. I am also really tired of butchering. This one will make six I cut up. My friend shot one and had to hang it here because of where he lives. He couldn't get back for a while so I cut it for him.
I almost feel like giving up deer hunting sometimes. [smilie=1:

44man
12-04-2007, 12:59 PM
OH DARN IT! I FORGOT TO PUT MY HAT IN THE PICTURE. Now there is nothing for you guys to make fun of. Sorry. :groner::bigsmyl2:

45r
12-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Looks like the 45 is working out pretty good.I've cut up 5 bucks so far and it is a lot of work but me and my wife love deer meat and so does my son and his family.He got a real nice 10 point opening day and had a big smile on his face for a long time.He got a 6 point off state land bowhunting with a friend also.I got a 8 point opening day.A 7 point during bow season.My brother-in-law got a 6 point the second day of gun season and was very happy.I finally got him to hunt from a ladderstand.He was allways afraid of heights but he overcame his fear and got the buck from a ladderstand at 20 yards.Butchering those deer was well worth it.I have a doe permit but probably won't use it unless I see one that looks to be past it's prime.I havn't seen hardly any deer since the forth day of gun season anyway.I'm sure they are around somewhere,the whitetail is a great surviver.Probably herded up now with the cold and snow setting in for winter.

44man
12-04-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't like buck meat at all unless they are young and shot before rut and gave my neighbor the meat from mine. We have too many deer here. I went onto a neighbors property the other day just to look and must have moved out 35 deer. I seen one buck.
The deer are getting smaller every year too. Years back I shot several doe that went 200# but I don't see any like that now.
Driving the roads is risky and there are always dead deer along them. We have a very liberal season to thin them.

piwo
12-04-2007, 10:03 PM
I don't like buck meat at all unless they are young and shot before rut and gave my neighbor the meat from mine. We have too many deer here. I went onto a neighbors property the other day just to look and must have moved out 35 deer. I seen one buck.
The deer are getting smaller every year too. Years back I shot several doe that went 200# but I don't see any like that now.
Driving the roads is risky and there are always dead deer along them. We have a very liberal season to thin them.

My buddy here in Missouri ALLWAYS donates his bucks to Share the Harvest. He can shoot enough tasty does (and process them himself), and they take the meat and grind it all up to hamburger anyway in the Share the Harvest program. So he pays for the one he gives away, and processes the ones he keeps himself.:drinks:

44man
12-05-2007, 09:11 AM
I would love to donate the meat but they charge too much for a fixed income. You would think the state would get involved to help. They could cut back on food stamps to those that get meat for as long as the meat lasts.
Last I seen, they were charging $70 to take a deer.
Some poor people will take the quarters and finish cutting it, others want it wrapped, frozen and even cooked. Seems as if the more some people are on the dole, the more they want free.
Around here the poor just go out at night in fancy trucks I can't afford and spotlight deer. They have rifles I can't afford too. Some just cut the hind quarters off and leave the rest. You should hear the shooting at night.
The night time trophy road hunters cut off the racks and leave the deer.
I even see daytime road hunters that take young sons along to pass on the tradition.
Then all of them throw the carcasses out along the roads. There are piles of rib cages everywhere.

lmcollins
12-29-2007, 04:36 PM
Where are you located?

carpetman
12-29-2007, 04:45 PM
44Man--Tell us about the hat. I have several hats I really like.

44man
12-29-2007, 04:59 PM
It's an old archery hat but Bass makes fun of it. The inside is raggy but I still like it. You can find the picture if you go back in the posts.

44man
12-29-2007, 05:02 PM
I am near Harpers Ferry, WV

Topper
12-30-2007, 10:45 PM
50yds with a wheel gun in low light and open sights.
Nice job 44man.

GSPKurt
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
I spotted three at 50 yd's this evening. Doe season opened this morning. Wind has been gusting to 55 MPH all day. They walked an expanding circle through the thick. I finally got a little opening to get a boolit into. I used my own 325 gr WFN. I was shooting my Vaquero and just had enough light to make out the sights.

:Fire: Good shootin', bro!! :Fire:

:drinks: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

GSPKurt
12-30-2007, 10:58 PM
I would love to donate the meat but they charge too much for a fixed income. You would think the state would get involved to help. They could cut back on food stamps to those that get meat for as long as the meat lasts.
Last I seen, they were charging $70 to take a deer.
Some poor people will take the quarters and finish cutting it, others want it wrapped, frozen and even cooked. Seems as if the more some people are on the dole, the more they want free.
Around here the poor just go out at night in fancy trucks I can't afford and spotlight deer. They have rifles I can't afford too. Some just cut the hind quarters off and leave the rest. You should hear the shooting at night.
The night time trophy road hunters cut off the racks and leave the deer.
I even see daytime road hunters that take young sons along to pass on the tradition.
Then all of them throw the carcasses out along the roads. There are piles of rib cages everywhere.

Are you freakin' kiddin' me? Hell, if I were closer, I'd come take it fer nothin'!!!

Longhunter1757
12-31-2007, 09:40 AM
Heckuva shot my friend!!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!!!!! :drinks:

$70 for a donated deer????!!!!!!!! :shock:
Up here in PA we have "Hunters Sharing the Harvest" Here's a snip form a recent article on our program.

"When a hunter bags a deer, he can tag it, then take it to a local participating butcher. All participating butchers must be approved by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and meet stringent governmental guidelines.
At the butcher's, hunters are asked if they will donate $15 -- or more if they are able -- toward the meat processing fee. The donation is tax-deductible.
The remainder of the processing fee is covered through HSH sponsors and fundraising efforts. "

The full article is here. <http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/outdoors/s_478012.html>

I quit taking my deer to a processor a long time ago when they started charging $40 and up for it. $70 is beyond stupid. I can't see them getting many donations with that kind of attitude and of course it the people who need the meat that suffer.

Longhunter1757