PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Little Dandy

dale2242
01-12-2014, 10:13 AM
I can get consistent charges with my powder measures except for the fluffy powders. Read 700X here.
I want to try the Little Dandy measure on my Ponsness/Warren P-200 loader with these powders.
Before I spend the money for the measure and rotors, I would like to hear from people that have used it.
thanks....dale

Hardcast416taylor
01-12-2014, 10:33 AM
I gave a friend a new one of these with the correct rotor that would drop 6 gr. of Red Dot. He found the rotor would only drop 5.8 gr. He took the unit apart and cleaned the rotor with hot soapy water, then rinsed in hot water and let air dry. The unit with rotor now drops 6 gr. every time as it should. He figured there was some sort of preservative coating on the rotor that would reduce the capacity.Robert

Riverpigusmc
01-12-2014, 10:55 AM
A guy named Bailey Boats makes an adjustable rotor for about 40 bucks. I bought one, and it works. Beats spending ten or so bucks a rotor every time you change powder or loads

GBertolet
01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
I have one as a secondary powder measure. They are pretty nice and are the ultimate in simplicity. If you are only going to load a few handgun calibers with a standard charge in each, the Little Dandy is hard to beat. At $10 to $12 a rotor, it can get quite expensive if you are going to load a whole spectrum of loadings. As mentioned in a previous post, there is an adjustable aftermarket rotor being made costing around $40. RCBS makes 26 rotors for the Little Dandy, which can handle up to 44 magnum powder charges.

rockshooter
01-12-2014, 09:32 PM
I use my Little Dandy a lot but not with flake powders. With both Unique and 800X is is very inconsistent. The Uniflo is much better- but not perfect- with flake powders. I find that I use more ball powders now because of the ease of measuring.
Loren

375supermag
01-12-2014, 10:08 PM
Hi...
I use a Little Dandy exclusively for hand gun reloading with every powder from Bullseye to Unique to Blue Dot to W296 to 2400 and many others.
I have used it to load tens of thousands of rounds and it is quite accurate and repeatable once you select the correct rotor.

Airman Basic
01-12-2014, 10:13 PM
Been using mine for 20+ years. Bought all the rotors before the prices got obscene. Called RCBS after a powder hopper cracked and they sent a new one free, postpaid.
BTW, it's mainly for pistol powders, so not using flake powders kind of defeats the purpose, IMO. I probably use more Unique than any other, except maybe Bullseye. Once the hopper is settled and a uniform technique, it works fine. I even tried the dreaded double drops a few times. Carefully, of course. Wouldn't trade mine for any other I know of.

mac60
01-13-2014, 10:38 AM
I use the thing hand held. Set the cases up in a loading block and go to it. In just a few minutes I can have 50 cases charged. With the fixed rotors you won't likely be able to get the exact charge you want, but chances are you'll be able to get within a few tenths of it. It's a good powder measure.