PDA

View Full Version : Noob Question about presses

Northboy
01-12-2014, 02:16 AM
I've been reading up and have decided to get a 40 to 45 setup but I am stuck on the press. I am not a lee fan and would rather go with a rock chucker. Just wondering what the guys using BT's dies think of using a RC or Reloader special press. Experience, will the press last???

Cane_man
01-12-2014, 11:07 AM
I use the Rockchucker with dies that i made that are similar to BTs for the one step from 9mm to 49SW and have not had problems whatsoever... as long as you anneal the case properly (imo, that means flame the entire case to cherry red or light orange), and don't use lead that is overly hard (imo, that means lead 11 BH or less) you will be fine... some have broken a linkage pin swaging on a Rockchucker and then replace it with a Grade 8 bolt and they swage on... great thing about the Rockchucker is that if you break it while swaging (since the 'S' in RCBS means swage) you can send it back to RCBS and they will fix it free :happy dance: i am sure others will weigh in with direct experience...

Northboy
01-12-2014, 04:17 PM
the Hardnes will be my trick. I have a lot of wheel weight lead that I'm thinking of adding pure lead to to soften it up just haven't checked into how much i'll have to add. I really need to get a hardness tester.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Yeah if you can soften it up that would be best. Otherwise be on the lookout for pure lead or soft lead. It will be much easier on your equipment and you.

There are always members selling soft lead on the forum.

beezapilot
01-12-2014, 04:30 PM
A shameless plug for my Bair press in Swap & Sell- The thing is really a tank and should hold up to swaging most anything.

Utah Shooter
01-12-2014, 05:15 PM
the Hardnes will be my trick. I have a lot of wheel weight lead that I'm thinking of adding pure lead to to soften it up just haven't checked into how much i'll have to add. I really need to get a hardness tester.

You should try and see if you can get someone to trade you some soft/pure lead for your wheel weight lead. I would really just try and stick with pure lead if you can.