PDA

View Full Version : 444 marlin

tdoyka
01-12-2014, 01:36 AM
i would like to have a 444 marlin in t/c encore 20" factory heavy mgm barrel. i was going to use beartooth bullets with either the 300gr wfngc or the 355grWLN DCG gc. will the 444 marlin recoil too much? if so, should i install a muzzle break on it? i have a 6.5 creedmoor in 16 1/4" mgm barrel and does not hurt. oh yeah, i have had a stroke, the right half of my body only has 20% normal.(you ought to type this:-D sorry about taking it wrong too) i handload, so it ok.

thanks

C. Latch
01-12-2014, 01:41 AM
Recoil depends entirely on how hard you push them. If you're in no hurry on the Encore, wait a year and start looking for for sale ads coming out of Mississippi. The state is changing up deer season next year and lots of folks will be selling their single-shot rifles because they won't need them for 'primitive' season anymore.

Tatume
01-12-2014, 09:01 AM
My brother shoots a 45-70 Encore with 450 grain bullets at 1800 fps and doesn't complain. Although neither you nor I will probably appreciate the recoil he tolerates, my point is this: The same gun shooting 300 grain bullets at the same velocity will be substantially milder to shoot. Whether that's mild enough for you is a question only you can answer.

Personally, I have an H&R Handi-Rifle in 444 Marlin and shoot 240 grain jacketed bullets in it. It is quite mild.

Take care, Tom

Clay M
01-12-2014, 09:06 AM
I had am Encore 15" barrel in 444 and the recoil was nasty, even with a brake. I would much rather shoot my 500 S&W.
I am talking handguns here.

helice
01-13-2014, 02:53 AM
The sweetness of the 444 is the versatility of that long case. I have use smallish loads of RedDot with the LBT 300 WFN GC in a Winchester Big Bore. It gives 44 Mag handgun velocity and nearly impreceptable recoil. But I have also stoked it hard with Reloder 7 and considered it punishing from the bench rest. There is a lot of room in between those two extremes. I find a lot to like in the 444s. My Big Bore 94 is a husky piece. I have no experience with the TCs or the H&R Handi-Rifles but I assume that they are a lighter arm.

quilbilly
01-16-2014, 01:41 PM
I use a "light load" in my 444 for practice with a 250 gr plain base SWC at 1200 fps and a 310 gr GC boolit at a much higher velocity for hunting. The aiming point at 50 yards is nearly the same. The recoil of the "light" load is so minor that it is fun to shoot for extended periods which is great practice for snap shooting in thick cover. For the record, I have a couple T/C's with muzzle brakes and absolutely hate those brakes even when I like the caliber. The gases blow your hat off with stout loads and the noise is so deafening it worries me. I will take the recoil in the field and use lighter practice loads the rest of the year over a muzzle brake anytime.