PDA

View Full Version : 36 Mexican

joatmon
12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Got a 36 Mexican from my uncle and now must start to slowly aquire some missing parts. Guess I'll start looking for a front sight then maby a rear one too.I'll need a barrel to help them stay in place! The short front action screw is missing but I have the long rear one.The front and rear sling mounts, butt plate add butt plate screws are gone but when I find a stock it might have them!!!
When you apply the safty you have to pull back a little on the cocking knob so I may have to get a cocking piece. Cleaning rod and sling are gone but with no barrel or stock I'm in no real hurry to get them. The rest of the rifle is in really good shape, nice blueing and the Mexican crest is in nice shape also. Sorry no camera but trust me it looks really good laying in my desk drawer.

dubber123
12-03-2007, 06:33 PM
Well, heck, sounds like you're halfway there! Well 1/3rd of the way. Maybe 1/4. I dunno, sounds like you have something!

BudRow
12-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Sounds like you have a radiator cap you're looking to build a car under.

9.3X62AL
12-10-2007, 11:15 AM
This sounds like the way I buy rifles.

First get the die set. Then find a scope. After that, brass and boolit mould. Cast 2K boolits. Buy rifle. Find out that boolits are undersized. Buy 2nd/3rd mould. 7 months later, The New Rifle gets a range day.

armoredman
12-10-2007, 12:10 PM
'36 Mexican? Mauser? Or is that a caliber I have never heard of? I never heard of Mexico making thier own cartridge OR rifle.

2 dogs
12-10-2007, 01:13 PM
I had a M1 carbine magazine I hadda buy a carbine for once....

Shiloh
12-10-2007, 01:25 PM
This sounds like the way I buy rifles.

First get the die set. Then find a scope. After that, brass and boolit mould. Cast 2K boolits. Buy rifle. Find out that boolits are undersized. Buy 2nd/3rd mould. 7 months later, The New Rifle gets a range day.

I feel better knowing that there are others.

Shiloh

BudRow
12-10-2007, 01:53 PM
M-36 Mexican Mauser. A Model 98 small ring action in 7 x57 MM made in Mexico. I have one too and it is a favorite.

Scrounger
12-10-2007, 01:58 PM
'36 Mexican? Mauser? Or is that a caliber I have never heard of? I never heard of Mexico making thier own cartridge OR rifle.

Wasn't there a Mexican designer named Mondragon who invented the first self loading military rifle in 1908? Mexico gets no respect on the Internet.

13Echo
12-10-2007, 04:48 PM
Mexico had a series of rifles based on the 98 Mauser. The last was the 1936. It's a small ring short action and is well made. It is easy to identify because the cocking piece is sorta like a Springfields with a swelling at the end to get a good grip to recock by hand. I have a very nice 7x57 built on one of these actions and it is my favorite hunting rifle. The only problem is some of the parts, particularly the firing pin, are unique and hard to find. If you can get all the parts for the action it will make a fine rifle.

Mondragon was a genius with numerous unique and interesting designs. Sort of the John Browning of Mexico. His semiauto rifle was the first to be issued to troops but it was complex and not very reliable. The Germans did use some as aircraft armament in WWI. He also designed a really clever, light weight, double barrel machine gun.

Jerry Liles

joatmon
12-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all the replies. The only thing missing from a complete action is the front screw. Did I really make it sound THAT bad! The cocking piece looks like it was never used, I think some safety work and it should be good to go. I think 257 Bob and wood stock will be the way to go if I scope it(hate to cover that crest), 358 Win. if I go peep sight.

Oh ya: Dubber123 I'm looking at it as the glass is 1/2 er 1/4 er 1/8 ok 1/16 full!

13Echo
12-12-2007, 09:39 PM
The Mexican Mod 36 is a short Mauser action perfect for a 7X57, .257, 6mm Rem, 6.5x55, The .308 family and similar length cartridges. One intriguing possibility is a 9.3X57 for an excellent medium bore light weight rifle. I had mine built as a 7x57 by Will's Gunsmithing in El Paso about 20 years ago. It has a Douglas barrel and an English Walnut stock with a finely bead blasted blued finish. The lines are based somewhat on those of John Ambers 7x57 Griffen and Howe Springfield. It is a beautiful rifle.

Jerry Liles

joatmon
12-13-2007, 09:53 AM
That does sound like a beautiful rifle 13Echo. I'm going to think on the caliber awhile and finish up a couple others then do this one. I do plan to go old school on this one. Aaron