PDA

View Full Version : Best Beginner book?

kount_zer0
12-03-2007, 02:36 PM
Hello and thank you for a great forum. I'm not new to shooting, but having recently got a RBH in 45 Colt, I am new to cast boolits!

I always get a book to begin in any new "hobby", so which one is best for beginners?

crowbeaner
12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
The Lyman Cast Bullet Guide is a very good one to have. It has just about all you need for info. The RCBS cast bullet manual is also good.

Jon K
12-03-2007, 03:56 PM
kZ,

Welcome, and you came to the right place.

Ditto, Ditto, Lyman Book and Do a search here on casting, you'll find a lot under every topic you can list. If you can't find it just start a new thread.

Lots of Good info here.

Jon

:castmine::lovebooli[smilie=s:

JeffinNZ
12-03-2007, 05:16 PM
I agree however I also recommend the Wolf Publishing DVD of PDF files of all the cast bullet related material from Handloader and Rifle. LOTS of great info and reading for little $$$$.

Uncle R.
12-03-2007, 06:19 PM
The ABCs Of Reloading (1st Edition) by Dean Grennel has a very good section on casting. Some of the information will be outdated by now but overall it was an excellent introduction to the art.
I was a great fan of "The Old Curmudgeon" and his books. He was one of my early mentors of the silver stream.
:)
Uncle R.

TNsailorman
12-20-2007, 11:25 PM
+1 on the Lyman Cast Bullet Book and also on Dean Grennel's book.

Swamprat1052
12-21-2007, 12:43 AM
I have those books but I learned more from this site than from them. Oh the books are necessary read em and keep em for a quick reference. But if you want to find out how to do anything with casting, search this site and ask questions. These guys are great.

Swamprat

TNsailorman
12-21-2007, 02:53 PM
swamprat, you got that right. I'm learning. I found me a home.

eka
12-21-2007, 03:17 PM
Kount, I applaud you for getting a book. I approach things the same way. It will get you the basic concepts and with that basic knowledge can think through things when the bullets don't come out just right without getting so frustrated. I read both the RCBS book and the Lyman book. Either will get you up and running. Even after reading the books you will probably still have questions from time to time and this is the place be. It would have taken me decades to stumble onto some of the knowledge I have gotten here from our generous members. Good luck.

Keith

Keith

weakhand luke
12-21-2007, 03:24 PM
The Art of Bullet Casting DVD has a ton of stuff in it. You gotta be able to tolerate the format, though. It's only about 20 bucks at Amazon. If you can find just The Art of Bullet Casting book, it will cost $50 and up, IF you can find a copy.

Scrounger
12-21-2007, 04:23 PM
The Art of Bullet Casting DVD has a ton of stuff in it. You gotta be able to tolerate the format, though. It's only about 20 bucks at Amazon. If you can find just The Art of Bullet Casting book, it will cost $50 and up, IF you can find a copy.

What is the format, that apparently you don't like?

ANeat
12-21-2007, 05:45 PM
Lots of good info and reference material here http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Morgan Astorbilt
12-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Isn't the NRA still publishing "Cast Bullets" and it's suppliment By Col Harrison?
Morgan

weakhand luke
12-21-2007, 09:31 PM
What is the format, that apparently you don't like?
Just that you have to read it on a computer screen instead of having a book. You can print the articles, and I do print some for ready reference, but ink is expensive. Otherwise, it's great and I recommend it.

Bret4207
12-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Isn't the NRA still publishing "Cast Bullets" and it's suppliment By Col Harrison?
Morgan

I haven't seen them offered in some time. If anyone has a "Supplement" they want to get rid of, I'm looking.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-22-2007, 09:56 AM
I believe I've got two copies of the original, but only one Suppliment. You might want to check on Amazon.
Morgan

Morgan Astorbilt
12-22-2007, 10:11 AM
OUCH!!! Just checked Amazon, they've got two used copies, one for $63.97, and one for $143.79. eBay may be a better bet.

Morgan

Added: Of the original, not the suppliment.

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2007, 10:52 AM
personaly i like verals book better then the lyman. the lyman is a good beginners book but a lot of stuff in it is based on old ideas that have changed over the years. If i had to recomend a beginner the best schooling possible id tell him to spend a few days just surfing this sight. Theres alot of knowlege right here. It just takes some time to pick through. The cast bullet association also has a very good book that comes with membership.

carpetman
12-22-2007, 01:59 PM
Veral's "book" is only 131 pages and small pages at that---8 1/4" X 5 1/2". There is no load data. I dont know where a pamphlet crosses over and becomes a book,but this one just barely made the cut. It is fully loaded with misspelled words. Despite all this it is priced higher than the Lyman Manuals for example. For these reasons I'd go with a Lyman. Their standard manual has data for both jacketed and cast bullets. It also has casting information. Their Cast Manual has no jacketed data,but a little more cast data. If only getting one,I'd go with the standard version. Lyman does list the pressure on some loads which is a rare thing. For jacketed bullets,I'd get several manuals and cross reference them. Hornady and Speer are both good in my opinion.

doc25
12-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Cast Boolits web site. If you want to cast this is where I learnt how to do it. There is so much info here and so many friendly people.

45nut
12-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Doc25 that IS the "mission" here. I can't imagine there being a better source for info about lead shootin'.

jawjaboy
12-22-2007, 06:15 PM
The cast bullet association also has a very good book that comes with membership.

Sure does Lloyd. The book alone was worth the membership dues, but then there's the 6 yearly issues of The Fouling Shot magazine that goes along with it! A great value IMO.

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/join2.shtml

carpetman
12-23-2007, 05:03 AM
After my flowery critique of Veral's "Book" I'll give his sales a boost with this. To buy the book "Jacketed Performance With Cast Bullets" I think the amount to send is $25. Send check to Judy Smith HCR 62 Box 145 Moyie Springs,Id 83845.

TAWILDCATT
12-26-2007, 04:32 PM
I just looked at the CAST BULLETS for beginners and experts. $17 a yr the book is worth the membership fee.:coffee: :coffee:[smilie=1: :Fire:

Blackhawk Convertable
12-26-2007, 07:56 PM
Personally I was disappointed with the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook as a beginner. Lots of history and lots of load info. Really only about 10 pages deal with the casting process proper. As one gains experience, the info on the other pages will become of more value. I would suggest going to http://goatlipstips.cas-town.com/index.html and read through his site a few times. I found his info of much more value to the beginning caster.

Now for those who disagree I offer my disclaimer: JMHO YMMV

Bob B
12-27-2007, 09:50 AM
I started out using the #42 lyman manual and have read everything on bullet casting and reloading I could get my hands on down through the years. Read all you can on the subject,you will never learn enough. Bob B