PDA

View Full Version : New reloader equipment list

KYShooter73
01-11-2014, 08:01 AM
I have a friend with a 14yr old son who has approached me to help them get started reloading. His expected budget for the project seems overly reasonable, and better than my budget. He and his son seem mostly interested in rifle reloading, and he is a smart, somewhat mechanically inclined person. I have made up a list of needed items, and will talk him through the price/brands for the various items and let him make the decision. Am I leaving anything out from my list? I know some of these things are "luxuries", but I think I can bring him in at around $650, while he was thinking around $1000. Also, what starting manual would you recommend?

Handbook
Dial caliper
Scales
Powder trickler
Powder measure
Powder funnel
Loading block
Kinetic bullet puller
Bins
Ammo boxes
Case trimmer
Tumbler
Chamfer/debur tool
Primer pocket tool
Hand priming tool
Turret press
3 die set
Case lube
Wrenches
Powder
Primers
Bullets

jetinteriorguy
01-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Since your going with a turret press and they are new to the game, I would suggest a powder check die to avoid any uncharged or over charged rounds. Another thing would be a powder through expanding die, I have the Lee dies and the adapters to mount either my Lyman 55 or Lee PP on the press and really like this setup. When lowering the ram after charging it gives a good clunk to help all the powder drop and settle the powder in the measure for the next charge. This seems to make for some nice consistent charges. Now I may be mistaken in my next statement but it seems almost as if the expander on the powder through die works similar to a Lyman M expander, but I haven't actually taken one apart yet to check this out. Maybe someone else can either confirm whether or not it is this way.

LeftyDon
01-11-2014, 08:24 AM
I too like the powder through the die ability of Lee pistol dies and with rifle reloading you can get the universal rifle powder die to add a 4th die to any set and drop charges using it. The only caution is to make sure your powder measure is throwing consistent load drops. For hunting loads this setup works great. For use with a trickler and exact load drops you just use a funnel to feed the die vs. an on-press measure. The Lee Classic turret kit includes most of what they want, works well, even if there are better measures and other bits if you build up the setup with careful shopping.

KYShooter73
01-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Ya, they will need a powder through or expander of some sort. I don't want to start them progressive, but since I bought my first turret press, I never use my single stage anymore. I don't auto-index with my turret, and use it more like a single stage, that's why I was thinking of a turret so they don't have to reset dies every stage.

I was also thinking of weighing every charge, thus the trickler. Mount the powder drop to the bench, set it low, trickle the last few grains, then charge the round via funnel in the loading block to prevent squibs or overcharging by visual inspection.

LeftyDon
01-11-2014, 08:26 AM
deleted double post

r1kk1
01-11-2014, 08:58 AM
ABCs of Reloading.

Take care

r1kk1

giddyupgo55
01-11-2014, 10:16 AM
You might want to add a case trimmer and a stuck case remover. If military cases are used then some way to remove the crimp.

country gent
01-11-2014, 10:40 AM
A simple 3 ring notebook paper and dividers for notes loads and such so they dont have to remember everything. Documentation is a big help reloading. not at the start ut as time goes on it becomes more and more important. A set of micrometers also for when calipers just wont do.

Artful
01-11-2014, 10:40 AM
Handbook (Multiple - people seem to forget that Handbooks are guides not bibles - ABC esp. Dean's older version is great)
Dial caliper (got Case gage, Ogive tool, etc.?)
Scales (balance or digital? I used two balance beams for many years and was very happy)
Powder trickler
Powder measure
Powder funnel
Loading block
Kinetic bullet puller
Bins
Ammo boxes
Case trimmer
Tumbler *(Got Media? - steel pins are nice)
Chamfer/debur tool
Primer pocket tool
Hand priming tool *(got Shell holder?)
Turret press
3 die set *(got shell holder?)
Case lube
Wrenches

Powder
Primers
Bullets

Stuck Case remover?
Primer Pocket Swage if military cases are on the list...

Teddy (punchie)
01-11-2014, 10:51 AM
Many years I loaded with,

Press
Scale
Dies
Bullets
Primmer
Powder and Funnel
Primmer pocket reamers
Shell Holders
Case Holders
Case de-burring tool
Case Gauge
Lyman Manual

Some ideas until they get some of the things

Used a file to trim cases, still do unless resizing brass from a different caliber.

Cleaning brass I used steel wool and bore brushes.

Wire brush for primer pockets.

Still use a spoon and scale, to load for hunting rifles.

Case Lube pad , Old coffee can lids and lint free cloth with STP and Graphite.

W.R.Buchanan
01-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Lee Loader,,,to start then they can advance from there. If they decide they don't like doing it they aren't out much of anything and can probably sell it for what the paid for it..

Randy

garym1a2
01-12-2014, 07:48 PM
Dillon 550, all my stuff is Lee and I have more in it than a good 550 would cost.

flyingrhino
01-13-2014, 02:38 PM
I started in 1974 with a Lee handloader and a mallet. You can still buy the handloader. They run about $28. I loaded 1000's of rounds of 357 before I moved up to a single stage press. I think back then I probably paid less than $10 for setup.