PDA

View Full Version : Argintine 1908 - who met Bubba

DIRT Farmer
01-10-2014, 11:44 PM
I just picked up this rifle noticed it had good blueing and except for a few small spots still had a bright reciver and bolt. The barrel looked OK as there was not a cleaningrod to be had. After some nogation it came home with me.

I fired 5 shots with no cleaning of the barrel with the neck sized cast loads I use in my 1891 Ho-made carbine I bought a few years ago, the first thing I found was the brass was very tight which I take to be a good sign.

Today I fired 20 more loads 10 with the 10B-101 load and 10 with IMR4227 at 75 yards using the famous rest between the pickup cab and open door.
Two distinct groups 2 1/2 wide by four inches high which is not bad considering the rest and the way I see sights with my fuzzy right eye. ( need to schedule with my eye Dr for cateract surgry) Any way I figure it is a keeper and if it looked better would be ugly. This one would not have gotten a passing grade in my high school Vo Ag shop class.

I sluged the barrel, Throat is .305/.312 pass through is .302/ .312 just in the muzzle is .302/ .312 mesured with a cheap caliper groves matched with my cheap mike.

The casting I used was the Lyman 314-299 sized to .314 with Hornady gas check.

I saw in the GPC catalog that they have the parts for a complete stock in the 1891, hopefully they will fit and from current prices I will have an origonal appering gun.

Did I mention the stock looks bad?

leadman
01-11-2014, 03:15 AM
Isn't the 1908? or 1909 a large ring Mauser? I have a 1909 and there is no way the stock would interchange with my 1891s. Unless you have an 1891 made in 1908? The bright receiver leads me to think it is a 1909.
Pictures would be helpful.

Uncle Grinch
01-11-2014, 11:34 AM
The 1908 Brazilian and the 1909 Argentine are both large ring standard length Mausers. The 1922 Brazilian is an intermediate length. The 1891 Argentine is a totally different Mauser in that it is considered small ring with an extended single stack magazine that protrudes below the stock. The other Mausers have staggered internal magazines.

DIRT Farmer
01-12-2014, 10:57 PM
OK I do need to see the eye Dr. I have been invited goose hunting th last two days, very good days with good people so tonight I checked it out. There is no way one could confuse the '91 action with this one. The deal would have been very good for a '91 so I am even happier.
The rifle, I cleaned the crud from the side of the action where the stock finish had partialy covered the metal, it is a 1909, large ring mauser. So now I am still looking for origonal style wood.

AABEN
01-13-2014, 07:26 PM
HELLO DIRT Farmer Where in SW IN? I am in Gibson County. I had my eyes done in Princeton! HE did a very good job. BOY can I see now.

DIRT Farmer
01-13-2014, 11:52 PM
Would that be the county where the real Posey Co. mellons come from? I live a few miles North of Owensboro KY, worked EMS in Warrick Co and made more than a few runs into your Co. My wife had her eyes done in Evansville, very good job on correcting her vision. When I get ready to have them done I hope to find a Dr who is a shooter and understands what I need.

Side note, I took the rifle out of the stock tonight, most of the cosmoline was still in there. The bolt is soaking now.