PDA

View Full Version : Lee 12g hand loader

jimmyUT
01-10-2014, 09:43 PM
So I am searching for a used 600 mark v, but have not been able to find one for less than 100 in good condition. Today I came across a lee. Hand Loader for 12g 2 3/4 shells for 25 bucks. Looks to be in almost new condition, barely used. For now I am only going to be loading slugs and 9 pellet buck (molds are in the mail on their way) and I have a uniflow to measure with instead of the dipper.

I won't be reloading a ton of 12g, maybe 100-200 a month max. I be usong once fired gun club hulls shot out of my 870 ( no resizing as this loader doesnt do that)

Will this do the trick, or am I gonna hate it?

Iowa Fox
01-10-2014, 11:19 PM
jimmy, I started with the Lee in 1963. Those were the paper hull days and it did OK and I was only doing 25-50 a year. When the plastic hulls came along it was hard to get crimps that looked decent. I switched to the MEC shortly after and thought I went to heaven. Keep looking for a used MEC you will be much happier, believe me. There seems to be a lot of used ones around here but then again at one time we were the number one state for pheasants. The pheasants are gone now. So are the ducks and geese where I live. Just make sure all the parts are there if you purchase a used MEC including the bottles as those are now 7 bucks a piece.

r1kk1
01-10-2014, 11:20 PM
At 100-200 a month you have more patience than me.

This is the hand loader right?

Keep an eye on Craiglist.

Take care

r1kk1

jimmyUT
01-10-2014, 11:26 PM
Well I guess it sounds like I have a $25 nostalgic piece of equipment.
Anyone know if antiques roadshow is coming to Utah soon?
:)

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-10-2014, 11:31 PM
You will hate it. Trust me. I have one and loaded a handful with it. I also have a MEC 600 Jr that loading 1-200 rounds a month on is absolutley doable. It would be easy. Finding one in good shape for less than $100 shipped might be hard. You can find ones that have been used well sometimes for 75-100 shipped.

You will make MUCH better looking/functioning rounds with the press. Hope this helps.

Sell the Lee on FleaBay as "vintage" or "Rare" and then go buy a MEC 9000. :roll:

jimmyUT
01-10-2014, 11:34 PM
I saw some lees going for over 40 bucks on ebay with active bidders. Maybe ill sell it and put the money towards a more expensive 600 :)

Mk42gunner
01-10-2014, 11:40 PM
I started with a Lee loader in 3" .410, and eventually got one for 2 3/4" 20 gauge too.

Save your money and keep looking for a MEC. Just about any of them will do a better job at crimping than a Lee Loader.

Robert

jimmyUT
01-10-2014, 11:46 PM
There are a couple used sizemaster 82s here locally that seem like a good deal, but I have read they are harder to use and more "finnicky" tban the 600

jimmyUT
01-11-2014, 12:52 AM
Ok so let me know how this sounds. Sizemaster 82 in really nice condition no rust looks clean with all parts, 1000 win 209 primers a bag of shells and a pound of 800x
175... should I just do it and skip the 600 search?

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Reloading shotshell is NOT like metallic reloading. You must follow the given recipes exactly. They list out all the components you must use in the load. You can't mix hulls, as their internal constructions are different. Figure out what hull you will want to use and go from there.

When you feel comforable loading shotshell and understand it better, then that is the best time to do a little experimenting and deviating from published loads.

Firebricker
01-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Jimmy, I was in a small gun shop by the house yesterday and they had a used mec give me a day or so and I will check the price. If it is a bargain and you want it I will pick it up and ship it for you. FB

jimmyUT
01-11-2014, 12:32 PM
Hold off until I see if this guy accepts my trade for the Cricket 22. I appreciate the help though, and I will update you as soon as I find out what he says

longbow
01-11-2014, 12:55 PM
I used a Lee Loader in 12 ga. for many years and still have it. They are slow to use but once you get organized and get a rhythm going they aren't bad for loading a few slugs at a time. Personally I would choose a Lee Loader over the Lee Loadall Junior... BAH! I had a Lee Load in 20 ga. that worked fairly well and for the price is hard to beat but when I picked up a Lee Loadall Junior I was not impressed.

When I decided to upgrade I picked up a used MEC Sizemaster and it is great. It was in near new condition and came with a universal charge bar and other accessories for $150 (used stuff is more expensive in Canada than the States). More recently I picked up a MEC 600 for $25 again with a lot of accessories.

You will not regret buying a MEC 600 or Sizemaster if you can find one used or swing the cost of a new one. I really like both of mine.

By the way, I have a sizer ring for me Lee Loader. I can't remember where it came from (maybe the Lee Loadall Junior?) but it is a simple ring that goes around the hull between the die and rim. Tap the hull in to the die then out and the brass is sized. Slow but effective.

Longbow

mdi
01-11-2014, 01:15 PM
I have been using Lee Loaders for 30 years, although not exclusively! Lee Loaders fit a specific niche and in my experience all that's needed is a little patience. I have 4 presses and still on occasion use a Lee Loader when I feel "retro" or just don't wanna set up a press for a short run. Lee Loaders are only as slow as you want to be, and there's a video on youtube of Mr. Lee loading a bottle necked round from deprime to finish in less than 1 minute (I think it is closer to 47 seconds) and the 1,000 yard accuracy record was held by a shooter using a Lee Loader...

jimmyUT
01-11-2014, 01:39 PM
I think I will keep the lee loader instead of selling it. It would probably make a good addition to my 72 hour SHTF kit :)
Ill have to practice with it and load some rounds.
Thanks for all the advice guys.

hornetman
01-11-2014, 02:00 PM
You may have trouble getting the buck to fall through the drop tube on a Mec without bridging- according to a friend who uses Mecs. Not a problem with smaller shot.

jimmyUT
01-11-2014, 02:04 PM
I was thinking I would have to manually insert buck and slug, but what is "bridging"?

Firebricker
01-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Bridging is when bigger shot sizes jam up in the drop tube. With the buckshot you will be hand stacking the shot so its a non issue for you.
FB

jimmyUT
01-11-2014, 02:36 PM
Bridging is when bigger shot sizes jam up in the drop tube. With the buckshot you will be hand stacking the shot so its a non issue for you.
FB

Whats the largest diameter ball/ shot that will drop without issues?

jmort
01-11-2014, 02:44 PM
By hand, #3 or #4 buckshot will drop randomly. No sure about presses, as the smallest I use is #1, which must be stacked by hand. If presses can do it, then 3 or 4 buckshot, otherwise, #T or #F if presses can do those sizes.

jmort
01-11-2014, 02:50 PM
"By the way, I have a sizer ring for me Lee Loader. I can't remember where it came from (maybe the Lee Loadall Junior?) but it is a simple ring that goes around the hull between the die and rim. Tap the hull in to the die then out and the brass is sized. Slow but effective."

That is a nice feature of the Lee Precision Load-All, for around $50.00 it comes with a sizer ring and station.

jimmyUT
01-11-2014, 02:57 PM
Well, the guy just accepted my trade offer, so I am getting a Almost New sizemaster (only loaded 100 rounds on it and it looks that way) with all the parts, except only has the #30 bushing and the 1 1/8 charge bar, 1 lb 800x, 500 wads, and 1043 count win 209 primers. He gets a cricket 22LR, which I would be lucky if I could get 125 for if I sold it. I think its a good deal.

jimmyUT
01-11-2014, 08:09 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/12/ytequsad.jpg

Proud owner of a new mec sizemaster 82 and a lee handloader
:)

Firebricker
01-11-2014, 08:13 PM
Congratulations you are going to like the size master. You can always get the universal charge bar to dial in your powder instead of lots of bushings. FB

r1kk1
01-11-2014, 08:42 PM
That is a nice feature of the Lee Precision Load-All, for around $50.00 it comes with a sizer ring and station. The entry level MEC does not. You can buy the MEC sizer, which is nice, but it costs over $100.00 and is a space eater on the bench.

Is that the red or orange plastic ring?

The MEC sizer can be bolted to a board and c-clamped to the bench like powder measures, trimmers or etc. It has the advantage of doing all 6 gauges and doesn't really care what the head of the case is made of. Mine is mounted to a RockDock plate and sits on a shelf when not used. One other thing I like about it is when purchasing once fired brass, I size it then inspect it. Some stuff appears to take more effort than other hulls, and when loading on my machine, powder drops are more consistent.

If you have a MEC where they make the adjustable bar for it, go for it. My machine uses an adapter to use MEC powder bushings as well as Hornady, RCBS and P/W bushings. Since I do load six gauges, I wanted one machine with different tool heads to do all of them.

Have fun with the collet sizer on the MEC. It works very well with little effort of other designs.

Take care

r1kk1

EDG
01-13-2014, 10:06 AM
The collet sizer is a far better set up than the stupid ring sizer.
You also get a primer feed worth about $30 to $35.

I have 2 Size masters and 2 700 Versa Mec In my mind the 600 and 700s should be discontinued.

Newtire
01-13-2014, 10:54 AM
"By the way, I have a sizer ring for me Lee Loader. I can't remember where it came from (maybe the Lee Loadall Junior?) but it is a simple ring that goes around the hull between the die and rim. Tap the hull in to the die then out and the brass is sized. Slow but effective."

That is a nice feature of the Lee Precision Load-All, for around $50.00 it comes with a sizer ring and station. The entry level MEC does not. You can buy the MEC sizer, which is nice, but it costs over $100.00 and is a space eater on the bench.
The MEC 600 Jr's that I have seen all have sizer rings at the first station. The Sizemaster tool is the one with the collets. Hard t beat an old used MEC 600. Bought one last summer for $40 at a yard sale. You can spot that handle sticking out of those boxes at yard sales-I'm telling you. Had a Lee loader hand tool in 1966. Worked great but the fact that it didn't size made it rough!

jmort
01-13-2014, 11:20 AM
You are correct, I was wrong about the MEC 600 Jr. Mark V. It has a sizing ring, not the collet sizer.

Newtire
01-13-2014, 04:44 PM
You are correct, I was wrong about the MEC 600 Jr. Mark V. It has a sizing ring, not the collet sizer.Of course I'm right, that's why I wear "The Big Hat" now! (Just having fun...I know they have a collet sizer thing because I used to have one but can't tell you what they call it now-all I know is that the MEC stuff is all great)!

MtGun44
01-14-2014, 02:45 AM
Not 100% clear whether this is the hammer type loader or the lever-type
linear multistation loader.

Bill

jimmyUT
01-16-2014, 07:15 PM
The lee I picked up was the hammer type. It will be an addition to my 72 hour kit now that I found such a deal on the MEC