PDA

View Full Version : Is this Antinomy?

Steve Steven
01-10-2014, 04:47 PM
I have some metal that I think is antinomy, it has a definite crystal structure to it. It came from a pig of metal, fractures easily.

I remember I had some once, I had problems getting it alloyed with lead as it fumed badly when in the open air. I had to build a closed pot that I could heat with an oxyacetelyene torch and get the lead to melt, then it would melt into the lead. Took red heat to melt it.

Picture of small piece (2x2x2)

Tdart
01-10-2014, 04:51 PM
Looks like antimony but could also be bismuth. Mcheck out the product videos on Rotometals to compare.

Certaindeaf
01-10-2014, 05:02 PM
It sure looks like antimony. Bismuth will have a visible "stair step" crystal structure..

http://images-of-elements.com/bismuth-5.jpg

bangerjim
01-10-2014, 09:16 PM
I have some metal that I think is antinomy, it has a definite crystal structure to it. It came from a pig of metal, fractures easily.

I remember I had some once, I had problems getting it alloyed with lead as it fumed badly when in the open air. I had to build a closed pot that I could heat with an oxyacetelyene torch and get the lead to melt, then it would melt into the lead. Took red heat to melt it.

Picture of small piece (2x2x2)

That melt temp sounds like Sb. It has very high melt point (1,167F) and is rather difficult to alloy with lead...at least for most. Brittle and crumbly.

Banger

Steve Steven
01-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Thanks, guys. I suspected it was antinomy, you have confirmed it for me. I also just found some of the 50-50 bars I cast many years ago, strange what you find lurking in the back of a storage cabinet!

Steve

KYCaster
01-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Kinda looks like Sb.

You don't need high temps to alloy Sb into Pb.

Jerry

lwknight
01-11-2014, 11:15 PM
Kinda looks like Sb.

You don't need high temps to alloy Sb into Pb.

Jerry
If you have tin in the mix that is.

sackot
01-20-2014, 07:17 PM
If you have tin in the mix that is.

And don't forget a large pinch of patience. Stir it long enough and it'll go in.