PDA

View Full Version : Lube question

shuckinthecorn
01-10-2014, 02:51 PM
Warmed up my melting pot for the 1st time this morning to try my hand at casting.
I bought a Lee 240 grain, .430" mold for a Super Blackhawk that I intend to firelap, and have a question that I haven't seen addressed anywhere yet. I plan to load these very slow for fire-lapping, so there is no reason to lube the boolits that have the lapping compound embedded in them is there?
Also cast some 250 grain REAL boolits for my muzzle loader. It sure was fun after I got the temp. somewhat regulated. I see now that I must get a thermometer, and plan to do that soon. I have did a lot of reading here on the forum and plan to do a lot more. It truly is a valuable resource for the novice as well as the advanced caster. Thanks in advance for the help. Below are the results of my 1st attempt. Haven't sorted them out and inspected them yet, but they don't look too bad maybe.
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k226/1hillbilly3/boolets_zpsdc2a185e.jpg (http://s89.photobucket.com/user/1hillbilly3/media/boolets_zpsdc2a185e.jpg.html)

Certaindeaf
01-10-2014, 03:05 PM
I don't see where the lube would hurt things at all so I'd say to lube them, perhaps with LLA or the like.. as to the benefit of firelapping, I'll leave that to others.
Good looking bullets though and welcome to the club!

Down South
01-10-2014, 03:06 PM
I would mix the lapping compound in LLA then embed it into the Boolits.

shuckinthecorn
01-10-2014, 03:16 PM
Guess I should have mentioned that the compound I'm going to use is in a thick grease, so they will have that on them anyway. I was just wondering if I needed anything else.

montana_charlie
01-10-2014, 03:20 PM
You are right about needing a thermometer.
But, those bullets will work for firelapping.

CM

Certaindeaf
01-10-2014, 03:20 PM
Ah, I thought it was a powder or something. If it's in a thick grease, I wouldn't bother to "lube" further.

Rattlesnake Charlie
01-10-2014, 03:23 PM
No lube necessary when firelapping with a grinding/polishing compound. Keep the velocity low. Make sure each bullets exits the barrel.

dondiego
01-10-2014, 03:26 PM
What is the alloy used for those REAL bullets? They will load much easier if they are pure or almost pure lead.

shuckinthecorn
01-10-2014, 03:27 PM
Will do, thanks!

shuckinthecorn
01-10-2014, 03:29 PM
I bought some ingots from jetsfan24, made from stick on wheel weights, and used them. They are pretty soft.

dondiego
01-10-2014, 03:38 PM
Those should be some REAL good projectiles then! Good job on your first castings by the way!

bhn22
01-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Do not lube lapping bullets! You do not want any lubrication, outside of what little if provided by the lapping compound. The idea of lapping is to remove metal, and bullet lube will minimize that process. Also make certain you roll the compound into the bullets themselves, just slathering the mold with lapping compound doesn't work. Read either LBTs or Beartooths lapping instructions. They do differ on one important point. LBT recommends you use a harder alloy, and Beartooth recommends a soft alloy. I've tried both, and the hard alloy worked better for me.

shuckinthecorn
01-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Do not lube lapping bullets! You do not want any lubrication, outside of what little if provided by the lapping compound. The idea of lapping is to remove metal, and bullet lube will minimize that process. Also make certain you roll the compound into the bullets themselves, just slathering the mold with lapping compound doesn't work. Read either LBTs or Beartooths lapping instructions. They do differ on one important point. LBT recommends you use a harder alloy, and Beartooth recommends a soft alloy. I've tried both, and the hard alloy worked better for me.
I tried fire lapping this gun once with some hard cast 240's bought from Missouri Bullet Company. They were so hard that I don't think the compound was getting embedded properly when I rolled them between the steel plates. Shouldn't have that problem with the stick on weights. They may actually be too soft.