PDA

View Full Version : Leave my kitties alone!!

PatMarlin
12-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Says Natalie Marlin!

She told her Uncle Pat to tell all them catshootn' castbooliteers as in the likes of Kenjuudo, and Catshooter, and probably BassAckward John to from now on leave all kitties ALONE!!... :twisted:

...:mrgreen:

armoredman
12-03-2007, 11:50 AM
Gotta agree with that adorable tyke - love my cats too.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/MikhailandStar.jpg

Char-Gar
12-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Beamer, Chuy and Murphy (my three cats) say AMEN to Natalie!

Swagerman
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
So, you don't think us cats can fight back...do you punk. :mrgreen:

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/watchcat-1.gif

If you've just got to plug some poor defenseless animal, will I do...yeah, me, Mr. Pit Bull.

http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e321/44and45/pitbull_2.jpg

Lloyd Smale
12-03-2007, 12:59 PM
tell her ill leave hers alone but thats all i can promise!!

Poygan
12-03-2007, 05:44 PM
Tell Natalie that my cat Greyson agrees with her and so does Abby, Queen of the known universe, yellow lab.

NVcurmudgeon
12-03-2007, 07:01 PM
We don't have a cat, but I am still mourning Klutz, my next-door neighbors tom. That cat had a personality as appealing and complex as any of my dogs. Besides, Natalie is too cute to hurt or dissapoint.

trk
12-03-2007, 08:04 PM
You haven't lived until you develop a relationship with your cat - and gone hunting together!

My cats will face off with the squirrel and I'll swing off to one side going around and back of the prey. When the squirrel looks to the left or right because I'm now the threat, my cat charges.

A friend takes his cat squirrel hunting in the woods. He sets the cat down, the squirrel chatters at the cat and Bruce nails the squirrel with his 39A.

And then there ARE a few cats that EARN the wrath of Carpetman. It's a complex world.

Ricochet
12-03-2007, 09:20 PM
I love my 4 kitties!

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/SlidePicker/CallieCorner.jpg

Slowpoke
12-03-2007, 10:19 PM
I had the same cat for 23 years, he answered to Keek's or Keek O MAN, he was my shop cat. I weighed him once when he was about 12 years old he weighed 18 #.

I am still finding cat hair in the shop and he has been dead two years now.

My wife raised a foal on a bottle and when she had the vet out to geld the foal, I had the vet do Keeks at the same time, they were both a little over a year old then, we still have the horse.

I taught that cat that killing baby chicks was taboo when he was less than a year old, And have watched him a many time take a sparrow from among a bunch of chicks that were feeding on the ground. I was told it couldn't be done!

I ran onto a young couple once that were camping out of a one ton U-Haul truck up in the hills, they were apartment dwellers out of Tucson out for the weekend and they brought there cat with them, I will never forget it, that cat was having the time of his life out in the sticks, he sure didn't need no catnip. Who ever heard of someone taking there cat camping?

good luck

Johnch
12-03-2007, 10:19 PM
LOL I also have a spoiled house cat
It and my lab chase each other around the house

I also have several cats in the barn to keep the mouse population down

But when I see a ferril ( sp ) cat out hunting my pheasants 1/2 mile from any house

It get turned into yote food

IMO there is a big differance between a house cat and it's cousin that has gone wild

John

Char-Gar
12-03-2007, 10:25 PM
As of September 1, it is a crime in Texas to kill a domestic cat. The law does not apply to feral cats, but does to somebody's outside pet. You can't shoot one with inpunity because it happens to be in your yard. Big time fine, with the possibility of jail time.

So, you Texas urban cat shooters best not mouth off about it on the net...could come back to haunt you in court.

PatMarlin
12-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I had a black burmese I used to take fishing with me out in my boat. She loved it. And would sit up in the bow like a dog. Had that cat 18 years. Other fisherman got a kick out of that.

Used to take our calico camping that we have now, but she's to old.

If you take a kitten with you like a dog, it will do the same. I know a few truckers that have there cats with them 24/7.

My calico also plays fetch with a wadded up sheet of legal paper. We call it scooterball... :mrgreen:

pumpguy
12-03-2007, 10:51 PM
I hate cats, but, we got my daughter a kitty for her end of chemo gift. Guess who the damn cat loves and sleeps with. Yep. Me.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-03-2007, 11:42 PM
How's your daughter doing?
Morgan

Scrounger
12-04-2007, 12:52 AM
Chargar says:
As of September 1, it is a crime in Texas to kill a domestic cat. The law does not apply to feral cats, but does to somebody's outside pet. You can't shoot one with inpunity because it happens to be in your yard. Big time fine, with the possibility of jail time.

I guess that explains CarpetMan's absence, he's on honeymoon with Bubba in Huntsville...

jim4065
12-04-2007, 02:45 AM
Never cared about cats until a "feral" kitten decided to allow me to save its life. Now it's more attached than my dog; sees me in and out the front door, sleeps on my chest - and all that.

Best stress reliever I've ever had.

PatMarlin
12-04-2007, 05:18 AM
Chargar says:

I guess that explains CarpetMan's absence, he's on honeymoon with Bubba in Huntsville...

....:mrgreen:

Bret4207
12-04-2007, 09:09 AM
I don't much care for cats. A couple in the barn is fine, maybe ain the house. It's the folks who let them breed indiscriminately and feed off our small game that get me. My kids and wife loves THEIR cats. I don't own one. Come to think on it, I don't OWN any of the 10 dogs that I get to feed and care for....

kenjuudo
12-04-2007, 09:19 AM
I didn't do it! Nobody saw me do it! You can't prove a THING!:twisted::twisted::twisted:

EMC45
12-04-2007, 10:06 AM
In my neighborhood are many feral cats. I have trapped many. If it has a collar it gets released (catch and release), no collar and the fate isn't as kind. I have had them almost tear the trap apart. I have also caught 2 Possums in the trap too. Those are some ugly buggers! A few years back I had a family of cats living and breeding under my home. They knocked the vents out of the brickwork and made themselves at home. My wife and I would hear them fighting and bumping along under the floor, screaming and squalling. I trapped quite a few and then re-installed the vents and put bricks against each one.

Wayne Smith
12-04-2007, 11:12 AM
Only one story - When one cat that owns me was a kitten the squirrels teased him unmercifully. They would run right up to him and then stay one step ahead of him all the way back to the tree, then sit just above him and chatter. Ever since then he has gotten even. He eats everything but the tail, often under the house. One inspector found 12 squirrel tails under there. He's now 16 years old and, this year, he has caught at least four squirrels. Ate one of them in the house. LOML wasn't happy!

Being here in the suburbs we can't shoot the squirrels, so I'm just as glad that he continues to get even with them.

Oh, another one catches birds. I've had live sparrows and starlings released in the house!

Cat doors are nice, but create opportunities for the cats.

9.3X62AL
12-04-2007, 11:25 AM
We have an old black tomcat that has adopted us--he sorta came with the new place. About a month after we finished moving, he showed up. Not long after his arrival, the gophers got very scarce. He's not as effective as an air rifle on the ground squirrels, but the declining numbers of those latter pests from about August onward might be as much the cat's presence or efforts as my own with the RWS 52.

GSM
12-04-2007, 04:46 PM
I guess confession is good for the soul.

Here's one of mine - all 15# of him.

Old Ironsights
12-04-2007, 05:13 PM
I have 3. Used to have 2, but stray I just rescued was too good to adopt out. He even heels.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/cats/IMG_0543.jpg

I catch/rescue Strays/Ferals. No Collar, No Chip, No Tattoo, and it gets evaluated for adoptability/rehabilitation. Usually only takes a minute.

CCTs get researched & returned - often with nasty letters attached.

Friendly/Healthy strays get adopted out.

Nasty/sick ferals die.

Pepe Ray
12-04-2007, 05:39 PM
O.I.
Sounds like a very sensible program.
I approve.
Meow~

mstarling
12-04-2007, 05:57 PM
I've had cats (and dogs) almost all of my life. Some have been big (20 pounds). Some have been small (8 pounds). All have had their own very distinctive personalities. All have been good friends.

Currently have three. They fight over who gets to snuggle on the couch with me in the evening. Two of them follow me around outside. One is as constant a companion as any dog I've ever had. He'll follow me to the shops and sack out in the corner while I'm reloading or making things on the lathe and mill.

Several have monitored my hunting and exhibited pride when I've hung deer in the barn for sklnning and quartering.

Two take turns sleeping on the pillow next to my head. The third keeps my feet warm in the winter.

Somehow I've never felt warm toward the cat hunters.

Old Ironsights
12-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Mine think that my killing "giant mouses" is just par for the course. After all, I'm bigger than they are, so get to kill the big ones.

smokemjoe
12-04-2007, 06:32 PM
Thats why I shoot paper now.

waksupi
12-04-2007, 09:50 PM
I'd had a couple cats over the years. I've developed allergies to cat hair, so don't have them around anymore. One used to follow me squirrel hunting. She would get tired after a few hundred yards, lay down, and wait for me to carry her back home when I returned.

I don't like the strays that kill my grouse and rabbits, and usually give the owners a chance to corral them first. One neighbor insisted thier cat didn't roam. So, one day when it came into the shop, I spray painted it bright orange, and sent it on it's way. Haven't seen it since.

spurrit
12-04-2007, 10:05 PM
LOL! WTG! "Nope, I couldn't have painted your cat. HE never gets out!" [smilie=1:

spurrit
12-04-2007, 10:12 PM

So, you Texas urban cat shooters best not mouth off about it on the net...could come back to haunt you in court.

Just shoot it with 00 buck. Less evidence.

Razor
12-04-2007, 10:23 PM
CAT... the OTHER white meat !!
[smilie=w:

Razor

Char-Gar
12-05-2007, 12:04 PM
It is good to see so many cat friendly folks chime in. It does my heart good. All to often, gun boards are populated by cat destroyers.

PatMarlin
12-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Ditto on that Charles.

Specially when youngsters read that stuff and then think it's cool to kill cats.. :roll:

armoredman
12-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I think some of my cats will be hard to destroy...

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/QuickdrawMcKitty.jpg

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b13/armoredman/PICT0001.jpg

Old Ironsights
12-05-2007, 02:38 PM
Beware the Kitty of a gun owner...

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/cats/catgun.jpg

fatnhappy
12-05-2007, 02:40 PM
One neighbor insisted thier cat didn't roam. So, one day when it came into the shop, I spray painted it bright orange, and sent it on it's way. Haven't seen it since.

Ditto on that. I had one neighbor's cat that was killing ducks in my backyard. After the typical protests of innocence I hot glued a sticker to the cat that said "keep it out of my yard."
Haven't seen it since, they got the point and I didn't have to hurt some kid's pet.

I especially like the shot of the cat chasing a bear.
http://www.czabe.com/mediaclips/index.shtml?a=showclip&id=881

RBak
12-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I have also caught 2 Possums in the trap too. Those are some ugly buggers!

The possum is nothing more than proof positive that God does indeed have a sense of humor!

Russ.

Old Ironsights
12-05-2007, 02:53 PM
CAT... the OTHER white meat !!
[smilie=w:

Razor

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/cats/trashcat.jpg

Old Ironsights
12-05-2007, 04:11 PM
It is good to see so many cat friendly folks chime in. It does my heart good. All to often, gun boards are populated by cat destroyers.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/cats/2004.jpg

spurrit
12-05-2007, 11:10 PM
I don't think anyone around here really has it in for cats and is gunning for them.

Yes, I've shot a few cats. I don't do it for sport.

If there are entirely too many in my area, I'll reduce the population. I like cats, I've even had some in the house. I like having a couple in the barn. Yes, I realise they eat some quail eggs and chicks, but those quail have never paid a cent to repair my saddles and tack, nor contributed to the feedbill when mice and rats ruin tack and eat my feed. It's all a balancing act.

Ken O
12-05-2007, 11:19 PM
I never cared mcuh for cats, then five years ago I retired and moved into my remote cabin in the woods. I had a very bad mouse problem, I put Decon and mousetraps everywhere. I would see some dead ones outside, and in water buckets, but they were breeding faster than I was killing theim.
All my boot and shoes had decon in them from the mice storeing lunch. At night they would run across my bed.

Then, the first day of deer season someone must have came by and dump a cat off. It took up residence under the cabin. I didn't feed it, and it didn't come inside, it was getting so fat I thought it would burst. In no time the Decon wasn't touched and there were no more pattering in the night. The cat had completely cleaned them out, and never came inside. It was a female so I took it in and had it spaded.

It now is a house cat, doesn't like going outside, but I put it out for the night. I never hear or see a mouse, I thought it would be impossible for an animal to rid that many so fast.

They have their purpose, but they will breed like mice if they are not spayed/neutered.

Razor
12-05-2007, 11:40 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/cats/trashcat.jpg

Ever heard of KITTEN ADOBO??:kidding:

spurrit
12-05-2007, 11:52 PM
Kitten ADOBO? What's that?

Razor
12-05-2007, 11:58 PM
A DELICIOUS Phillippine recipe...[smilie=w:
(Chicken adobo actually)

Razor

floodgate
12-06-2007, 12:18 AM
Spurrit

Basically a Philippine stew. Often made up with chicken and/or pork. Dee-licious!

floodgate

armoredman
12-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Bad memories - Philipino mess cooks on my ship, we had chicken and pork adobo MANY times. Gah.

spurrit
12-06-2007, 11:35 AM
It's gotta be better than menudo. A buddy on mine's Mom was reputed to make awesome menudo. Myself and 6 young Marines were there for dinner after a long day of polo. We were hungry. THEY filled their bowls to the top. I didn't take much, and took up my post by the sink.

Pretty soon, everyone else was standing there being really quiet, stirring that toilet water looking soup. Got kinda awkward, with her asking our opinions on it.

Old Ironsights
12-06-2007, 04:52 PM
Kitten Adobo?!?!?

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/cats/th_CatFood.jpg (http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/cats/?action=view&current=CatFood.flv)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/cats/voices.jpg

:mrgreen:

NVcurmudgeon
12-06-2007, 07:39 PM
It's gotta be better than menudo. A buddy on mine's Mom was reputed to make awesome menudo. Myself and 6 young Marines were there for dinner after a long day of polo. We were hungry. THEY filled their bowls to the top. I didn't take much, and took up my post by the sink.

Pretty soon, everyone else was standing there being really quiet, stirring that toilet water looking soup. Got kinda awkward, with her asking our opinions on it.

Reminds me of a co-worker of a certain European extraction who told me the following story:

Every year people of this ethnicity hosted a dinner at their place of worship. It was mostly attended by first through fourth generation Americans of this background, though all comers were welcome. My co-worker couldn't understand why so many "others" came and made spectacles of themselves. As John put it, "Our food isn't very good, but we eat it once a year to socialize."

There, no offense is expressed or implied.

Old Ironsights
12-06-2007, 09:28 PM
Sounds like Norewgians...

Codfish soaked in Drano (Lutefiske) anyone?

spurrit
12-07-2007, 10:11 PM
My Grandad had a lady friend from the northeast. I said something about lutefisk, and he'd never heard of it. After she explained, he started having some objections about eating some of her cooking. I guess he wondered what might be in it. That's a pretty strong objection from someone that ate liver and onions.

S.R.Custom
12-08-2007, 01:48 AM
...That's a pretty strong objection from someone that ate liver and onions.

You haven't lived until you've had elk liver and onions from the garden. My guys love it. At least the liver. Although, Tiny (the one on the bottom), likes mushrooms and corn on the cob. StinkMan doesn't go in much for vegetables.

Speaking of elk-- It's kind of both fascinating and scary, but my guys will NOT eat beef, chicken, or pork if it comes from the grocery store. Turn their nose up at it every time. (What do they know that I'm missing?) But put some game meat out for them... Just don't get your hand between them and the plate.

http://www.salmonriverdesign.com/STUFF/kittykondo.JPG

oneokie
12-08-2007, 02:23 AM
SuperMag wrote;

but my guys will NOT eat beef, chicken, or pork if it comes from the grocery store. Turn their nose up at it every time. (What do they know that I'm missing?)

That it is not fit to eat???

spurrit
12-08-2007, 02:45 AM
Am I the only one that's noticed meat ain't going bad the way it was 6 months ago? Hell, bread won't hardly go bad anymore. I don't know what the deal is, but I'm about ready to got to an all game diet, until I have a steer ready to butcher.

Linstrum
12-08-2007, 03:49 AM
Hey, there, Supermag!

So you built a cabinet for your cats too! Well, it LOOKS like they are supposed to be there, they sure are pretty guys!

I have been divided three ways because there are three cats who have taken up residence inside my house. Having three owners is darned tough on me, although they do treat me quite quite well. My owners are a Siamese who goes by "Tai Tai" and guards the house, growling when she hears a stranger in the yard. Cha Cha is a pure black small cat who considers me to be her son and brings me food from her dish and when I am not feeling well she sleeps by my pillow until I am better. Houdini also guards the house by watching through the windows. telling me when he sees a stranger in the yard. He also helps to keep the house clean by sweeping up dust bunnies into piles on the floor and then transfering them to the litter box. He also likes to play fetch with a tennis ball, bringing it out from where he keeps it hidden except when he wants to play, then he scoots it across the floor for me to go and fetch it and bring it to him so he can scoot it across the floor again for me to go fetch.

Also, training took quite a while but I finally got the hang of what the cats wanted me to do.

Navahojoe
12-08-2007, 12:51 PM
I was owned by several different cats in my younger years, but when the next door neighbor moved in about ten years ago, with 18 cats, :roll: somehow all my affection for cats, slowly and surely,disappeared! My three dogs convinced me that I did not like cats when they continued presenting me with vet bills for fleas, although the dogs were treated continually with everything the vet recommended. My vet said they were "cat fleas" Little bitty, tiny, biting, sob's. :confused: My dogs stay at home, inside the fence and in the house. The cats roam the neighborhood. SWMBO stays p.o. because of her flower gardens. Anyone ever have their plants dugs up by cats and the flower bed used for a crap box? How about having your shiny "new" black truck scratched by cat claws while they are climbing to the hood or roof of the truck? The only nice thing about the cats next door is the fact they provide exercise for my dogs. The dogs train the cats for the cat Olympics by teaching them to sprint 30 yards and leap 4 ft high chain link fences in a single bound. [smilie=1: No, I do not like, need, nor have any desire to be owned by CATS! If you like, want, need cats to make your life beautiful, I have no problem with that feeling. Just, KEEP THEM ON YOUR PROPERTY AND OFF MINE!:(
regards,
NavahoJoe :castmine:

Poygan
12-08-2007, 01:42 PM
Navahojoe,

Seems to me you have a neighbor problem, not a cat problem.

jim4065
12-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Navahojoe,

Seems to me you have a neighbor problem, not a cat problem.

The other side of "wandering cats" is the dog who stays outside and barks day and night. The problem stems from a lack of respect for others (and therefore, oneself.) The tendency around here is to blame it on "Renters", but I'm not sure any labels fit.

beagle
12-08-2007, 07:26 PM
Man......what a target rich enviornment./beagle

spurrit
12-08-2007, 08:16 PM
Navajojoe,

Buy some Aguila super colibri subsonic .22's. Quieter than an air rifle. The box says they are for handguns only, but they work just fine out of my Henry .22 lever. They work just fine on squirrels.

45nut
12-08-2007, 08:20 PM
I tried the Colibri's in one of my 22 rifles and the first slug was stuck about midway down the tube, Make sure you watch for impact so you don't have a stack of slugs in your barrel.
Another of my rifles digested them without a hiccup. No problem with them through any of my pistols.
YMMV.

Catshooter
12-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Sorry.

Catshooter
12-08-2007, 08:39 PM
Pat,

You can tell her that her cats are safe from me!

None of the cats that I shared balistic conversations with were anything you'd want near her, trust me. I love cats, but those were just nasty.

Cat

Bigjohn
12-08-2007, 09:10 PM
Over the years, I have had to have many a ballistical conversation with many a cat, I don't mean the house cat type. I'm talking about the owned by nobody, fighting, stinkin', squealin', food stealin', pet bird eatin' ferals.

It is with great displeasure that I had to send most of them off to a better place. I still have several momento's from those that disagreed with my decision and the need to have an injection against "Cat scratch fever".

So, I like cats that know their place and stick to it, even if it is just cleaning up the dust bunnies around the house.

John.

Old Ironsights
12-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Mine also prefer fresh tidbits from the "giant mouses" I bring home.

They really don't care for Factory Meat any more than I do...

tanstafl10
12-09-2007, 09:18 AM
this is Boolit, Guardian of the reloader shop.

couldn't resist!

9.3X62AL
12-09-2007, 11:01 AM
It's a toss-up between the Colibri 22 LR and the RWS 52 in 25 caliber over which tool does better work on the dirt rats. The air rifle is certainly more accurate at similar distances, by at least 2X.

The black cat who has adopted us gets friendlier over time. He will allow me to pet him, and he's a spayed male. Someone cared for him at one time. He departs mui rapidimente when our 3 year-old grandson shows up, so I imagine a small child might have mistreated him in the past. He has no use for dry cat food (I wouldn't, either) but will inhale the smelly canned stuff. Since he seems to be a fixture now, a name would be good.

armoredman
12-09-2007, 11:29 AM
Joe, I understand the problem, and that's one reason why my four cats are indoors only. They do not ever go outside, and I think people who allow thier animals to stray all over creation need not have the burden of owning animals.
9.3, call him Survivor.

Scrounger
12-09-2007, 01:00 PM
a name would be good. __________________

Name him after your best friend, Buckshot.

PatMarlin
12-09-2007, 02:28 PM
Art Bell likes cats.

You are Art Bell aren't you scrounge?.. :mrgreen:

Scrounger
12-09-2007, 02:36 PM
Art Bell likes cats.

You are Art Bell aren't you scrounge?.. :mrgreen:

Yeah, and you're Clint Eastwood....
http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o9/artcompton/clint-eastwood.jpg

Old Ironsights
12-09-2007, 04:41 PM
Joe, I understand the problem, and that's one reason why my four cats are indoors only. They do not ever go outside, and I think people who allow thier animals to stray all over creation need not have the burden of owning animals.
9.3, call him Survivor.

Unless they are altered Barn Cats, I agree with you.

Ours have access to our screen porch, but that's as far "outside" as they can go.