PDA

View Full Version : another carcana????

nekshot
01-10-2014, 10:42 AM
I went to the dentist yesterday and when I got home noticed a rifle behind the seat. A carcana with the nicest metal and adjustable site I have seen in a long time and regretfully a bubba special on stock. my son and I have lamented over the fact that we never acquired a military correct carcana. I tear stuff apart, he cleans em and likes the original version of guns. Maybe some time I will find a complete military stock behind the truck seat! Now I think this calls for that 6.5 CM mold from midsouth.

c1skout
01-10-2014, 04:43 PM
Good deal, you may try Springfield Sporters for a stock. They did have some. I've been having good luck with those Hornady J-word bullets for my carcano.

leadman
01-11-2014, 03:17 AM
You may want to read the recent threads on the CM before buying it. Check for posts by Larry Gibson.

JeffinNZ
01-11-2014, 04:23 AM
Don't buy a CM for the Carcano if you can find something more suitable. You'll tear out your hear. See if you can track down a NOE 269 145. I bought one from Al and it shows great promise.

nekshot
01-11-2014, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the heads up Jeff, I was following that cm thread and somewhere I got the idea the carcana's had larger dimensions than the swedes. In all honestly if I don't turn this thing into original form and sell it I am going to yank the barrel and stick a 35 cal barrel on it that I have. I am torn between trying to get it to work in 357 form and if that fails then go the 35 rem route. I read of one fella that says he had success feeding 357's after he extended the ramp. That really is a long haul to the chamber from the clip.

nekshot
01-11-2014, 11:09 AM
need to talk to somebody about this so here goes. I read the carcanas were proofed at 60,000 psi. That means nothing to me other than the 357 max I believe is around 40,000 and I doubt I would seldom reach that. I figure this gun will be around 6 and half pounds so that is a lot of recoil I don't need. The max gives me as much cartridge length as the 7.62x39 I have in a carcana already and that works fine (almost). With my 190 RD boolit I would be getting good length out of the max oal. I wonder if any one knows the length of the 357 max and that boolit. I do believe this to be a safe and sound conversion and with no altering to the bolt face and a little acra glass at the ramp and maybe litening the cartidge feed lever this should work. Wow a 357 max bolt rifle for well under 175 bucks after completion! I have been wrong about ideas before!

MtGun44
01-11-2014, 10:13 PM
Carcano rifle. Just remember, it needs a .268 jbullet and about a .270 diam cast boolit.

Bill

JeffinNZ
01-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Whilst on holiday over Christmas I picked up a Lyman/Ideal 280468 originally designed for the .270 Win. I thought it might nose first size to .269 for my Carcano. Time will tell.

3006guns
01-13-2014, 01:18 AM
You are absolutely correct on that spelling. Most self professed "gun nuts" are unaware that a Carcana is the female of the species........:)

nekshot
01-13-2014, 02:59 PM
I have the 280468 mould also. I am really in a quandry over this. To shoot this thing I need brass, a die set that I don't have and very likely all for nothing other than a paper puncher. This does not turn my krank. I do have a 35 cal barrel, only need brass and I think one of my 357 dies will work and I get a firebreathing white tail getter with in reasonable ranges and I have plenty of moulds to keep me busy with load developement. I have the walnut for the stock laying here ready to go. Now this latter thought process turns my krank! ( the older I get the longer it takes me to make a decision!) My son does not care either way. I have thought of making a full walnut military style stock for it with the 357 max barrel and call it a italian tankers gun.

MtGun44
01-14-2014, 02:52 AM
If you want to swap cartridge, be reminded that the design NEEDS to feed
from the stripper clip, so if you change body diam. . . . . you will be hand making
new strippers . . . . but they won't easily fit into the magazine. . . . . headaches
abound if you change brass diam. Caliber only shouldn't be any huge deal.

Bill

texassako
01-14-2014, 11:28 AM
I don't know how you would ever get the rimmed Max to feed out of the clips, but you might consider making it a .35 Remington. The diameter is real close to the original's, about .01" larger.

JeffinNZ
01-14-2014, 07:02 PM
I don't know how you would ever get the rimmed Max to feed out of the clips, but you might consider making it a .35 Remington. The diameter is real close to the original's, about .01" larger.

Yeap, .35 Rem would work and be a great rifle. That said, if you find a .30cal barrel 7.62X39 would work too.

nekshot
01-14-2014, 07:51 PM
I have been trying the clip with 357's in it and the first 3 feed fairly well considering the distance. They are starting to slide up the claw the way they should, the last three don't feed up and I think it is the length of the cartridge verses the lever pushing them coming front to far. The etra length of the max would help this. 35 remies feed fine, better than 7.62x39 as of which I have one of those already. If the max doesn't work I still can go to the 35 remmy. Now to get the barrel loose. Iposted about that on the gunsmith section. Thanks for all your input- I really hope the max works out for me.

nekshot
01-16-2014, 03:28 PM
JeffinNZ- you got your ears on? I sized a 280468 boolit down to .270 and no grooves (I think somebody stole them, probably Wakesupi) and I can role the boolet with a file and lube them but I am losing faith. The problem is I cannot break the barrel free so I can change calibers. Rather than ruin the action I will work with the original gun and cartridge. Then the thought hit me to paper patch .264 bullets to fit the carcano neck. Has any one ever tried this with this funny twist?

JeffinNZ
01-16-2014, 05:17 PM
JeffinNZ- you got your ears on? I sized a 280468 boolit down to .270 and no grooves (I think somebody stole them, probably Wakesupi) and I can role the boolet with a file and lube them but I am losing faith. The problem is I cannot break the barrel free so I can change calibers. Rather than ruin the action I will work with the original gun and cartridge. Then the thought hit me to paper patch .264 bullets to fit the carcano neck. Has any one ever tried this with this funny twist?

HHHHMMM. Thanks. Might just have to give the mould to my friend for his 6.8 SPC then.

EDG
01-18-2014, 12:45 AM
If you have a lathe turn the shoulder off of the barrel without hitting the receiver.
It should unscrew with little effort.

nekshot
01-18-2014, 09:29 AM
I have a lathe and considered doing that but I wondered if the problem could be seized threads. I have never ever ever torqued an action this hard and not snapped loose.

Old Scribe
01-27-2014, 01:48 AM
I have a Carcano and found a military stock for it on Gunbroker. There were evidently variations on the stocks and it took me 3 trys to get the correct one.