PDA

View Full Version : need barrel lapping info.

josper
01-09-2014, 09:54 PM
I'm getting ready to fire lap the barrel of my Ruger BH as it has a restriction in it . I purchased a kit from Beartooth bullets. What I need is the proper powder charge for the lapping bullets .The manual says "Air gun velocity" very light loads. So what is good powders for this? All I have right now is Blue Dot and 2400. Finding powders now is a problem as they are really hard to find here. I would appreciate any info, also anything else you may add to help.

largom
01-09-2014, 10:10 PM
Have never used the Beartooth kit but when I firelap I usually just use a starting load from any manual.

Larry

deepwater
01-09-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm getting ready to fire lap the barrel of my Ruger BH as it has a restriction in it . I purchased a kit from Beartooth bullets. What I need is the proper powder charge for the lapping bullets .The manual says "Air gun velocity" very light loads. So what is good powders for this? All I have right now is Blue Dot and 2400. Finding powders now is a problem as they are really hard to find here. I would appreciate any info, also anything else you may add to help.

Use any .44 Special loads you have powder for. Use .44 mag brass and you should be good to go.

dubber123
01-09-2014, 10:19 PM
Bullseye is all I have ever used. Blue dot is pretty slow, and might not light well with the miniscule charges used. I wouldn't load too many until you are sure they are going to make it out of the barrel. Raising the muzzle for each shot, then carefully lowering it will keep the powder on the primer, and increase your chances of good ignition. Done right, you should easily see them fly at 10 yds. or so.

Where in Ma. are you?

bhn22
01-09-2014, 11:27 PM
You really need to use something fast like Bullseye, or Red Dot for lapping. Ideally, the bullet should barely make it out of the barrel. I lapped a 444 Marlin once with 5 grains of Red Dot. The idea is not to deform the lapping bullet at all, and Beartooths idea of lapping is to use soft bullets to do it. Take a brass rod along to knock out the bullets if they don't make it all the way out the barrel.

josper
01-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Bullseye is all I have ever used. Blue dot is pretty slow, and might not light well with the miniscule charges used. I wouldn't load too many until you are sure they are going to make it out of the barrel. Raising the muzzle for each shot, then carefully lowering it will keep the powder on the primer, and increase your chances of good ignition. Done right, you should easily see them fly at 10 yds. or so.

Where in Ma. are you? I'm in Greenfield Ma.

dubber123
01-10-2014, 07:59 AM
I'm in Greenfield Ma.

I'll look up Greenfield, I'm in southern Vt. I have plenty of Bullseye.

josper
01-10-2014, 11:06 AM
RT 91 comes right through town. About twenty miles south of the boarder of VT.

josper
01-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Today I met [dubber123] Paul in Vt. and he gave me enough Bullseye to complete my project. This was a huge favor and I really appreciated it. Joe B

detox
01-13-2014, 06:03 PM
Here is a good artical on firelapping.
http://www.gunblast.com/FerminGarza-Firelapping.htm

josper
01-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Here is a good artical on firelapping.
http://www.gunblast.com/FerminGarza-Firelapping.htm detox : that is a grate article thank you.

josper
02-03-2014, 03:00 PM
I finished fire lapping my Blackhawk yesterday . I scrubbed the barrel clean and tried five rds 8.6 gr ACC#5 ,45-270SAA starline brass, win LP primer. I flinched on the first shot but the next four were in a nice group ,1 1/2 at 25yds. A big improvement 95499. Thanks Paul.

tomme boy
02-03-2014, 06:42 PM
I used .6 grs of bullseye to get the boolit out of the barrel on my 9mm.

josper
02-03-2014, 08:07 PM
I started with 2.5gr bullseye and backed off to two gr . I probably could have backed off another 1/2gr It seems like it did the job and I didn't stick any in the barrel.

TCLouis
02-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Once a few rounds go down the pipe it usually takes less powder than the first ones.

The last gun I firelapped had the boolits hitting the ground 1/2 way to the 50 yard berm.

My range has about 6 foot of rise in the 50 yards, but I was "aiming" at the target at 50.

josper
02-04-2014, 12:23 AM
This was my first time fire lapping a barrel and I'm pleased how it turned out. I'm looking forward to warmer weather, its been a cold winter. I can't wait for some quality range time with my 45's 45-70 ,45 colts.

dubber123
02-04-2014, 04:23 PM
I'm glad the firelapping was a success for you, I am a believer in the process. I think I also used 2.0 grs. of BE in the last .45 Colt I lapped. It's amazing how much of a "bang" they still make with so little powder.

Changeling
02-04-2014, 05:35 PM

I strongly suggest that you call or email Ruger with the model number/serial number of your firearm and ask them 1 question: With the serial number I supplied to your company is it possible for my revolver to have a barrel constriction at the barrel frame union due to over tighning of this "union" threads?

C. Latch
02-04-2014, 06:48 PM
I strongly suggest that you call or email Ruger with the model number/serial number of your firearm and ask them 1 question: With the serial number I supplied to your company is it possible for my revolver to have a barrel constriction at the barrel frame union due to over tighning of this "union" threads?

My Bisley was made less than a year ago, well outside of the range known for 'frame choke'.......yet my barrel is tighter at the frame end than the bore. It may not be tight because of 'frame choke' but it's tight nonetheless. I doubt that mine is the only one.

(Mine doesn't seem to be hurt by the constriction, but it can't possibly be helping, and I intend to lap it one of these days....)

josper
02-04-2014, 08:51 PM
changeling: I understand your mind set on this issue but there is no longer a problem . The problem was ,when I slugged the barrel the slug was tight at the muzzle loose in the middle and tight again on the chamber end. Now its even all the way through . I'm sure the barrel would have been ok if I was shooting jacketed bullets but all I shoot is my cast boolets. Seems this is a common problem other wise no one would be fire lapping their barrels. I see a big improvement from what it was shooting.

josper
02-04-2014, 08:56 PM
c.latch: Don't wait just go ahead and do it. Just read up on it and follow the directions. Its very easy to do and the results will put a smile on your face.