PDA

View Full Version : GP100 Match Champion

01-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Picked one up tonight this thing is sweet. Pics to follow

fecmech
01-09-2014, 09:17 PM
I wonder why fixed sights on a competition gun?

bhn22
01-09-2014, 09:25 PM
And nobody makes a replacement rear sight either. Would be a great carry gun though.

01-09-2014, 11:07 PM
http://www.ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/models.html
Just shot it 20 or so times so for

Fire_Medic
01-09-2014, 11:21 PM
Looks good, how does it shoot?

Thanks

dilly
01-09-2014, 11:25 PM
I like the half lug a lot. What makes it "match?"

01-09-2014, 11:27 PM
I had some 158 lee swc tl with a plain base gas check 13 gr 2400. It was cold wind blowing and I was in tennis shoes. Walked out of the shop over to the range and it will touch holes at 7-10 yards off hand. I'll do some real shooting and post the results.

01-09-2014, 11:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPmf7d6NM-k

dilly
01-10-2014, 01:15 AM
It would be amazing if, since it's a "match" they actually paid attention to getting consistent throat measurements.

It's beautiful; it addresses some of my least favorite things about the GP-100 and looks real classy. Is the trigger standard or somehow improved?

Fire_Medic
01-10-2014, 01:22 AM
Damn 161, now you got me wanting one of these, lol. Looks like a good shooter and has some nice features. I like the dull bead blast finish on it too.

Petrol & Powder
01-10-2014, 07:49 AM
I wonder why fixed sights on a competition gun?

So they don't get broken or out of adjustment. Fixed sights are desirable on handguns as long as you settle on a specific load. On the Match Champion the front sight is replaceable, allowing for elevation adjustment and the rear sight is adjustable for windage. Once you get it dialed in for your load/bullet weight you leave it alone.

taiden
01-10-2014, 07:50 AM
Should have known to wait to spend money until after SHOT Show. That's a real smart wheelgun.

Petrol & Powder
01-10-2014, 08:35 AM
I haven't handled or shot one of the Match Champion GP-100's yet but it looks like an interesting concept. In terms of price point I'm not sure where they'll actually land in the real world. Ruger usually enjoys a margin that allows the GP's to undercut the retail price of 686's by a significant amount. The Match Champion may end up selling for about the same, we'll see.
Of course people who have no clue will disparage the trigger pull on the Rugers. It's incredible that the brand bias continues. Yes, the early GP's had heavy trigger pulls. The current production Rugers have decent actions and with a little work they have very good double action pulls. But the brand name prejudice continues, go figure.
Now if I could just get Ruger to make one with a 38 Special only cylinder and a 4" slab sided barrel.......

DRNurse1
01-10-2014, 08:48 AM
So they don't get broken or out of adjustment. Fixed sights are desirable on handguns as long as you settle on a specific load. On the Match Champion the front sight is replaceable, allowing for elevation adjustment and the rear sight is adjustable for windage. Once you get it dialed in for your load/bullet weight you leave it alone.

That does not match my competition experience. Maybe for something other than Conventional Pistol this will work, but this would not meet with great success in that venue. Just my $0.02, and I am sure this is a fine shooter and meets a particular competition need.

Petrol & Powder
01-10-2014, 09:01 AM
I actually like fixed sights as long as the Point of Aim matches the Point of Impact. They're simple, tough and just one less thing to go wrong. However, I certainly understand the convenience of adjustable sights. The old practice of bottoming the adjustable rear sight and fitting a rear blade that matches the POA to the POI, is basically the compromise between those two systems. It allows one to retain the adjustable sight but mimics a fixed sight.
Adjustable sights and fixed sights both have strengths and weaknesses. Different people have different preferences and manufacturers continue to offer both types to address those desires. I'm not claiming one is superior.

Bonz
01-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Beautiful looking 357 ! I'd swap my old GP100 for it in a heartbeat...

imashooter2
01-10-2014, 09:26 AM

The front sight looks dovetailed to the barrel. How does it adjust?

Ah! Reading is fundamental. Replace with a different height blade. Does the factory offer a bunch of different blade heights?

taiden
01-10-2014, 09:35 AM
Well, if it has the regular GP100 front sight arrangement, changing the sight should be trivial.

Fire_Medic
01-10-2014, 11:09 AM

Ah! Reading is fundamental. Replace with a different height blade. Does the factory offer a bunch of different blade heights?

I'm Dawson Precision has something that will fit the dovetail of this pistol and they offer more custom front sights than any other company I know of with varying height, widths, and configurations (i.e.: plain black, fiber optic, tritium, etc.)

Petrol & Powder
01-10-2014, 10:00 PM
I had an occasion to replace several dozen front and rear pistol night sights. All of the pistols were identical. I drifted the old sights out and replaced them with new night sights. I would simply center the new sights in the dovetail slots so that both sights were centered on the slide.
About one out of every 8 shooters would come back and say the sights were off and the "Pistol" was shooting to the left or right.
I would express concern, carefully look at the gun, disassemble the gun in front of the person and carefully "adjust" the sights.
I would pretend to drift the rear sight one way or another based on which way the "Gun" was shooting incorrectly, occasionally holding the slide up to the light and carefully examining my work. When I was satisfied that I had successfully convinced the user that I had "corrected" the problem; I would reassemble the pistol and give it back. I would say, "try it now, I think it's dead on", or something to that effect. They would then shoot another course and come back and pronounce that the "gun" was fixed.

Out of over 60 guns I think I actually moved 2 rear sights just a little bit when they came back a second time.
Adjustable sights on a handgun are great for matching a gun to a bullet weight but you have to be careful when fooling with something that might be important when there's more than one variable in play.

bhn22
01-10-2014, 10:56 PM

No. I looked. No replacement rear sights either. Break out the files I suppose.

Clay M
01-10-2014, 11:17 PM
That is the most interesting .357 I have seen in a while.I want one.

John Allen
01-11-2014, 12:07 AM
That is a nice looking GP100 I really like the slabside.

imashooter2
01-11-2014, 12:17 AM

That isn't going to be very good with a fiber optic front. Dawson only sells .270 tall sights for the Ruger. Sounds like Kentucky windage or adjusting your loads are the viable paths.

Clay M
01-11-2014, 12:32 AM
I would be interested in knowing if it shoots to sights with a 158 gr bullet and 13 grs of 2400.

Petrol & Powder
01-11-2014, 12:54 AM
http://ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/images/1754.jpg

Looks like a replaceable front sight to me?

imashooter2
01-11-2014, 01:13 AM
http://ruger.com/products/gp100MatchChampion/images/1754.jpg

Looks like a replaceable front sight to me?

Which isn't worth squat with out replacement sights available. It's fiber optic so you can't carve on it. Ruger doesn't sell replacements in various heights. Dawson only sells one height. Is there some other manufacturer selling fiber optic fronts in various heights so that you can "adjust" the POI?

Petrol & Powder
01-11-2014, 01:20 AM
You got me. You win. It must be junk........

imashooter2
01-11-2014, 09:06 AM
It isn't junk, it just doesn't have a practical path to elevation adjustment. If you are willing to trade adjustability for a more robust system, there's your gun.

Certaindeaf
01-11-2014, 09:36 AM
It looks to me like the front will take any type of GP front sight. One would have to be concerned about the width though.

bhn22
01-11-2014, 10:40 AM
It looks like it should be a good gun for most people. I can't imagine it working well for an ICORE or IPSC shooter. Both disciplines can be pretty "gamey", and these guys handload (not just reload) to get the smallest advantages possible that could turn the match to their favor. It's not like the average guy walking into Wal-Mart for a box of "three fifty seven". Competition is like that, that's how it works, load for maximum performance, minimum recoil, maximum advantage. This is why adjustable sights were developed in the first place, to allow the shooter to tune the gun to work with different loadings. Honestly, if Ruger hadn't engraved the word "Match" on the side of the barrel, this controversy wouldn't exist. FWIW, I have Novak sights on a number of 1911s, and I'm perfectly happy with them. But I did have to juggle sight heights at times.

taiden
01-11-2014, 10:57 AM
I'm not sure what all the fuss about the front sight is. GP100s have a really easy front sight swap via the quick release pin adjacent to the crown. Is that different in this model?

01-11-2014, 11:16 AM
I would be interested in knowing if it shoots to sights with a 158 gr bullet and 13 grs of 2400.
I been sick last couple day, went to the Dc. yesterday. I'll let you know for sure soon. What little I've shot it I think it does but I need to shoot it more.

Clay M
01-11-2014, 11:18 AM
I been sick last couple day, went to the Dc. yesterday. I'll let you know for sure soon. What little I've shot it I think it does but I need to shoot it more.

Thanks, and I hope you get to feeling better soon.

gray wolf
01-11-2014, 02:12 PM
Ruger doesn't sell replacements in various heights. Dawson only sells one height. Is there some other manufacturer selling fiber optic fronts in various heights so that you can "adjust" the POI?
Try high viz, they may have what you need, It looks like it maybe one of the easy on/off front sights.
That or it's pinned. I have mixed feelings about the pistol, and the fixed sight was an instant turn off.
I told Brenda Paige ( boss lady at Ruger customer service ) the same thing when I spoke to her last week.
My 1911 has a novac fixed rear and it works just fine, but on a take me out and play with me pistol ?
not for me, but each his own I guess.

Clay M
01-11-2014, 02:42 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Ruger makes the revolver with adjustable sights in a year or so. If it will shoot the 158 gr bullet with 13 grs of 2400 to sights that will be good enough for me.

gray wolf
01-12-2014, 01:13 PM
I have a problem with $800.00 and good enough in the same sentence. But that's just me.
Personally I think to call that pistol a match anything and give it fixed sights is a mistake right out of the box.
My crystal ball says it will soon be changed.

Jupiter7
01-12-2014, 01:38 PM
Not sure what the fuss is about. Novak makes adjustable rear sights. Lots of production competition guns come with plain sights with the intentions of being easily changed by end user. Keeps initial cost down at the counter and eases production costs on manufacturer. Assuming the gp100 match is a standard Novak cut:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/721189/springfield-armory-adjustable-rear-sight-1911-novak-cut-steel-blue

Clay M
01-12-2014, 02:31 PM
I won't be paying $800 for one. My local dealer doesn't mark Rugers up that much.I am figuring 6 and change.

Fire_Medic
01-12-2014, 04:28 PM
I got to handle one today at the local show, sticker price was $759, guy said he'd do $700 + tax and the phone call if I wanted it. But I don't have the funds disposable for it right now and I still think I could do better at one of the shops locally. I will say that I liked the way it's setup and the grips feels really good in the hand and the texturing is about perfect.

Will be keeping an eye on this for my next wheel gun…….

jonp
01-12-2014, 04:32 PM

I popped my iron sight out and replaced it with a fiber optic one. Had no trouble finding a different one.

Clay M
01-12-2014, 04:56 PM
I only shoot 158 -170 gr bullets in my .357's so I guess it depends on if the gun is calibrated for that bullet weight.The front sights are interchangeable, but higher front sight may not be available.

bhn22
01-12-2014, 05:06 PM
According to Ruger, they're a special height rear sight. Even Novak claims not to offer a replacement for them. Where did you come up with one?

01-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Shot a little today 17 yards standing it appears to shoot 158 JHP to POA. Accuracy is very good with jacketed. The cylinder throats are a snug .357 so I didn't get the accuracy I want out of cast 158. And they shot about three inches higher. If a person opened the throats up to shoot cast .358 .359 will the gun still shoot .357 jacketed?

Petrol & Powder
01-12-2014, 06:36 PM
Will be keeping an eye on this for my next wheel gun…….

See, that model 14 did you in, you're clearly addicted to revolvers. How long did that take, 2 weeks? :wink:

Clay M
01-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Shot a little today 17 yards standing it appears to shoot 158 JHP to POA. Accuracy is very good with jacketed. The cylinder throats are a snug .357 so I didn't get the accuracy I want out of cast 158. And they shot about three inches higher. If a person opened the throats up to shoot cast .358 .359 will the gun still shoot .357 jacketed?

Have you slugged the bore? My sons GP100 has a bore of .356 and bullets sized .358 won't chamber. We are sizing .357

bhn22
01-12-2014, 07:18 PM

It'll come. They're neat revolvers, and you'll get it sorted out in pretty short order it looks like. Great!

John 242
01-12-2014, 07:45 PM
That does not match my competition experience. Maybe for something other than Conventional Pistol this will work, but this would not meet with great success in that venue. Just my $0.02, and I am sure this is a fine shooter and meets a particular competition need.

Looked at one a couple of days ago at the Dallas Safari Club convention.
Seems like this pistol is tailored towards IDPA and action type matches.

I told the Ruger rep. that they need something along the same lines (Redhawk?) in .45ACP and moon clips. He agreed and said that such a gun could be on the company's 'to do' list, along with hundreds of other things.

Fire_Medic
01-12-2014, 08:29 PM
See, that model 14 did you in, you're clearly addicted to revolvers. How long did that take, 2 weeks? :wink:

Nope not two weeks, lol. I got hooked the same day I bought the K38 and went to the range with it. Very accurate, and I don't have to chase brass on the floor what's not to love, lol.

DW475
01-12-2014, 08:36 PM
That is definately on my wish list. Nice gun!

01-12-2014, 08:46 PM
Have you slugged the bore? My sons GP100 has a bore of .356 and bullets sized .358 won't chamber. We are sizing .357

Just did it's .356 also so thats good. My 686 is .356 also

detox
01-13-2014, 05:49 PM
My local gun store has one listed for $686.00....is this the going price?

DO NOT OPEN THE CYLINDER THROATS !

robertbank
01-14-2014, 03:10 AM
This gun is targeted at the CCW and IDPA crowd. Putting an adjustable sight on a gun for this market would be a total waste. I shoot everything from mild to wild and out to 25 yards have found no need to adjust my sights in competition. None of my loads vary 8" out to 25 yards - 35 yards and freestyle my shooting ability would never notice the difference. Most of our shots are inside of 15 yards and you don't need adjustable sights for those ranges for any sport outside of bulls eye shooting and this gun is not designed for that market.

My present GP 100 is set up pretty much the same way this gun is so I likely won't make the change. It is a winner to be sure.

Take Care

Bob
ps the front sight is dove tailed and not like the standard GP 100 sight arrangement. IMHO a step backward, maybe a bean counter decision.

01-14-2014, 09:42 PM
I paid $675