PDA

View Full Version : A fun video, I thought....

abqcaster
01-09-2014, 06:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OubvTOHWTms#t=291

CastingFool
01-09-2014, 08:07 PM
that's cool! I have seen another video of a guy shooting an AK underwater.

Echo
01-09-2014, 08:24 PM
What a Hoot!

MtGun44
01-09-2014, 11:23 PM
Notice that the first one, 9mm RN, tumbled within about 12" of the muzzle.

Bill

legend 550
01-09-2014, 11:49 PM
27,000 fps :shock: anybody want to take a guess at chamber pressure on that round
OK so it's frames per sec but when you use fps on a gun site it means feet per sec :wink:

Piedmont
01-10-2014, 12:31 AM
Every time I see a round nose bullet tumbling like that I wonder if maybe we have been sold a bill of goods on expanding ammo. The revolver bullet in the video didn't tumble (and perhaps didn't even expand) because it has the flat point. Elmer Keith wrote of killing sharks off the California coast with his Keith bullets. Those were the only ones that would penetrate the water well enough to do the deed. His factory jacketed .44 Mag. loads expanded in the water and didn't penetrate well.

There is a fellow with a lot of youtube vids under the name Military Action Channel. He was shooting 9mm ball one day into gelatin. It penetrated pretty well and at around half of it's travel it swapped ends. It disrupted the gelatin pretty well at that point and it penetrated well. Is that such a bad load? It probably isn't so good on a woodchuck or a coyote, where the target isn't thick enough to catch the tumble, but on larger game or for antipersonnel use, maybe it is a good compromise? It makes me wonder.

I wonder the same thing about rifle ammo that is sort of pointy and doesn't expand. It seems one could cook up a pretty good high velocity cast rifle load with an alloy hard enough not to expand and shape that would encourage tumbling. It seems plausible that this would work well when shot into a deer's thorax.

BNE
01-10-2014, 12:35 AM
Wouldn't this damage the gun?

Really cool to watch. The next video they reccomend gives a good explanation of how a sonic boom works.

lukeyduke
01-10-2014, 01:59 AM
Very cool.