PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets+Alox+Johnsons paste wax

jack19512
12-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I can't recall anyone posting about this and was curious if anyone else has tried this also. I use Lee liquid Alox on my cast bullets but this time I thought I would also try dipping the lead portion of the bullet that extends past the case mouth of the loaded round in the paste wax, let it dry good and see what happens.

Today I shot the rounds I had loaded and I shot the best 5 shot group I have ever shot to date with my Swiss K31 and my cast bullets. :-D To beat it all the wind was blowing real bad today too.

Now this could be just a coincidence but I have loaded up some more to try when weather permits. I did this to some 45/70 rounds I had loaded and they did real well also. Anyone else thy this before? :castmine:

felix
12-02-2007, 08:18 PM
Yes, Jack, especially with bore rider styles. The nose should be slicked up with a carnauba wax of some sort. I do mine by hand after the rounds are loaded, or use the pan lube method to cover the boolit ogive break point. ... felix

jack19512
12-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Yes, Jack, especially with bore rider styles.

If you would excuse my ignorance as I have not been doing this very long would you explain for me what constitutes a bore riding style bullet? Thanks

Ricochet
12-02-2007, 11:35 PM
A bore rider boolit has an extended nose with a cylindrical section of approximately bore (not groove) diameter, that "rides" the tops of the lands.

As for wax-lubing the exposed noses of the boolits, I often do that by dipping the noses of the loaded rounds in the molten lube.

Here is a pic with a mixture of JPW and LLA:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/SlidePicker/SwissHBC.jpg

Here are some more:

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g166/SlidePicker/300WbyDoubleDipped.jpg

Freightman
12-03-2007, 10:12 AM
I use a patch with some wax ran down the bore, does it help I do not know but it seems that I never get any lead in my bores , and seems to speed up cleaning. May all be in my head but it doesn't hurt anything.

Gohon
12-03-2007, 11:38 AM
Where do you find JPW? I've tried hardware stores, WalMart, and several other places and can't find the stuff. Is there one particular outlet that carries the stuff?

OLPDon
12-03-2007, 12:04 PM
Where do you find JPW? I've tried hardware stores, WalMart, and several other places and can't find the stuff. Is there one particular outlet that carries the stuff?

I picked up a can at Home Depot don't recall the price but ifen it were not cheap I wouldn't have it sittin on my shelf. There are some things I refuse to buy unless it's dicounted. That way when I pay too much for something else I don't feel so bad. (That's How I Justify Myself)
Don

12-03-2007, 12:12 PM
Seems like a related observation, but have you guys noticed that issue Swiss ammo has a nice ring of wax at the union of the bullet and case mouth. Are the same dynamics at play here? That K-31 and issue ammo is a fine combo with a very deserved reputation for consistant accuracy. Comments? 725

Gohon
12-06-2007, 12:31 PM
Ricochet, I notice in the picture you posted that the rounds you dipped in the JPW and LLA were of a kind of off white in color. I found JPW at Lowes hardware the other day and after softening the wax I dipped some loaded rounds in it but the color after drying is almost the color of LLA. Actually I can't see that much wax on the bullets but what I do see is brown, same color as the wax. The can says original formula JPW. Is there more than one kind? Just curious.

Ricochet
12-06-2007, 01:01 PM
The ring of wax on the Swiss GP-11 ammo is what inspired me to apply wax to the boolit noses. The translucent cream color of that wax (almost golden with the shiny lead reflecting through it) is the way the mixture looked soon after application, with lots of solvent remaining. Notice it's rather thick, too. After drying it was a very thin hard film, brown like the Alox.