PDA

View Full Version : HF ESPC bullets video example

iroquois
01-09-2014, 04:42 AM
I finally found a video demonstration of the ESPC method.
Is there a way to prevent the bullets from sticking to the foil?
Does anyone spray the bottom of the bullet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFqfvfDmhrw

Beagle333
01-09-2014, 06:17 AM
If you use non-stick foil, it doesn't stick unless you have to much overspray, like in that video. At least it doesn't the first time you use that sheet. Multiple uses results in some flashing which increases with each use as coating builds up on the foil. Look at the "Tray Ideals" thread for illustrated answers to this.

Some spray the bottom, especially the guys who put hollow points on a nail-type jig. (which is probably the best way to prevent any flashing)
I just stand mine on small nuts under the foil. The coating simply forms a polyester jacket that allows the boolit to slide down the barrel without leaving anything sticking to the barrel. It doesn't not protect the base of the boolit from fire. If you are generating enough heat and pressure to melt lead on the base, you will need a gas check, not a plastic coating.

Give it a try. Whether you tumble, swish or spray, PC is the way!
Happy Shooting! 8-)

bangerjim
01-09-2014, 12:02 PM
I copper GC all rifle and mag and super-sonic loads. I DO NOT rely on PC for the base!!!!!

Coating the base gains you nothing on sub-sonic loads.

If you MUST have a coated base, follow what I have posted (now about 6 times!!!!):

Coat as usual base down.
Cool
Tap base on an acetone-wetted rag
Then tap wet base in a tin with a thin layer of powder
Rebake with boolits on thier sides.

You now have a coated base. Use alterante colors if you are into a beauty pageant. I feel it is just time wasted.

banger

cstrickland
01-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I finally found a video demonstration of the ESPC method.
Is there a way to prevent the bullets from sticking to the foil?
Does anyone spray the bottom of the bullet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFqfvfDmhrw

Ok this may be a little off topic, but is he using way way too much powder onthose bullets? I have not gotten the powder coating unit yet, so I have no experience with this unit. Still just looking at it and it just seemed like an awful lot.

Charlie

iroquois
01-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanks guys for all the feedback. I'm off to Harbor Freight today. :)

Beagle333
01-09-2014, 06:18 PM
Ok this may be a little off topic, but is he using way way too much powder onthose bullets? ....just looking at it and it just seemed like an awful lot.

Yep. He's goin' at it kinda heavy. Folks say the yellow doesn't cover too well, maybe he's compensating. :wink: :confused:

'Not sure why he bunched em all up in the middle of the tray either.

birdadly
01-09-2014, 07:06 PM
That's the first time I've seen that done... you say he did it kind of heavy... is that really just kind of? Or was that real heavy? I kept wanting him to stop but he kept on going! Looks nice and easy though. -Brad

Beagle333
01-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Real heavy.:holysheep

bangerjim
01-09-2014, 08:10 PM
Just do it!

You will gain the knowledge of "too heavy" very fast! The colors red, white, and yellow tend to coat VERY thick....too thick in my book. Matte black does not to that. You can even see every little nook and cranney of the grease grooves (and any imperfections in your casting!!!!) with the black. The other colors just seem to glob on much thicker.

I feel he was over spraying the thickness because the yellow is the worst of the HF colors. It does NOT coat dark lead unless you give it an extremely thick 1st coat or do multiple strays/bakes. You only need one spray coat....and not very thick. I just watch carefully to see if there is any lead shining thru as I spray....and quit when none is peeking thru. Lead shows up very well with black!

But only a little hands-on with the gun and an oven will tell you just how much to use. He did have the powder flow down about right. Not clouds of it, as I have seen on other videos. Yes there are a bunch of them out there on youtube. You just go slowly up and down the rows (which he had far too close together!!!!! 3/4 to 1" spacing) and use either the small tip or none at all. The powder magically appears on the boolits (IF......you remember to step on the peddle switch and attach the ground wire! Don't even ask!)

Have fun coating!

bangerjim

RP
01-12-2014, 09:48 PM
Something I was thinking first his down draft for his spray booth not a bad ideal to keep everything in the shop from getting covered with dust. I spray in a cookie baking pan and reuse the overspray the thing about that its metal also. That brings up my second thought it sounded like his air pressure was high now sounded I looked at the flow coming out of the gun and it seems to be ok I run 5 to 10 psi. Also his ground was to the tinfoil which was sitting on what ever he was using to support the bullets to move to the oven which could be just about anything metal to wood. But that was supported by wood in a wood box. I sprayed today on a roll SS work cart with the metal baking pan when I ground the rack or what I am using to hold my bullets my gun will arch to anything I touch which includes metal cabinets making no contact with the ground. So is that effecting the draw of the powder to my bullets? if so would i be better to maybe spray on a rubber mat. Another thing is I think he is coating so heavy is because of spacing and nothing holding the base of the bullets of the foil which cause a field of current that repels the power right at the base of the bullets. When I say a field that's what I am thinking but not positive that's what is happing.

bangerjim
01-13-2014, 01:03 AM
Just ground to the foil. You are not "loosing any charge" by having it on a metal cart or pan. The center conductor of the coax is carrying the high tension charge to the gun tip. The shield is the ground clip you attach.

If ANY metal is just setting on the foil, it will have the powder attracted to it. It does not need to be fastened down, stuck in a hole on a plate or anything. Since the charge will jump a spark an inch or so, do not worry about the contact with the bottom!

I coat other things besides little lead dudes with great success.

banger