PDA

View Full Version : Lube makes a difference????

GunnyJohn
01-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Hey Everyone,

I guess I never really gave it much thought, but after reading a few different posts it got me wondering. I have some commercial sticks of lube including RCBS green, Lyman orange magic and some old (price tag says 0.75) Hogdon alox. I have been using whatever I happen to grab and put in the lubrisizer. And I use it on rifle and pistol boolits. Am I screwing up? My loads for handguns don't exceed 1000 fps and rifle loads 1800-2000 fps. Thanks in advance for any info.

williamwaco
01-08-2014, 11:33 PM
If you were "screwing up" you would already know it.

All the lubes you mentioned are good lubes.

35 shooter
01-09-2014, 12:06 AM
All the ones you listed should work well at those vel. or any 50/50 nra type. If you step up in vel. and start having any problems like lube purging, wild flyers, etc. or running out of lube before boolit exits, then you might want to look at a different one. Otherwise, if it ain't broke.....:grin:

btroj
01-09-2014, 12:06 AM
It depends. Most lubes do just fine under most circumstances. Extremes are the place where issues can show up. Velocity, pressure, and temperature extremes can cause issues.

It just depends

PWS
01-09-2014, 01:33 AM
I'm a lube nube but from deliberate tests of about five lubes in regular type loads (800-1200fps in revolvers 1200-1800 in rifles) lube is almost always a very minor factor compared to so many other aspects of cast bullet loads.

brown bass hunter
01-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Size it correctly and lube with it with whatever you have, good luck shooting!

shredder
01-10-2014, 08:59 AM
There are infinite ways to dice the onion of cast boolits. The never ending quest for a perfect lube is one way to drive yourself bonkers. You can go as deep into it as you want, or sleep well at night and use a good known lube. Nothing wrong with your approach. If it aint broke don't fix it.

geargnasher
01-10-2014, 12:45 PM
Most of us who ask the question "is my lube a problem?" are actually having a reason to think so, such as flyers, lube boogers on targets, cold barrel flyers, groups opening up in hot weather, etc.

The average cast boolit shooter would be well-served for all their needs with anything like NRA 50/50, lithi-bee, beeswax/Vaseline, White Label lubes, Simple Lube, or Randyrats TAC #1 lube.

Until you start demanding more than your lube can deliver, it is usually the last weak point.

Gear