PDA

View Full Version : Can someone tell me about the CH4D Champion press?

singleshot
01-08-2014, 10:23 PM
Well, good news and bad news. The good news is I get to buy a new press. The bad news is I literally ripped my $28 Lee aluminum press clean in half.

So.....

How does the Champion handle primers? What do you like/dislike? Is it worth the coin? Can I swage on it?

Opinions please...experience, data, and facts even better.

Kevin Rohrer
01-08-2014, 10:45 PM
I have had one since 2010. It is great for pistol and small rifle cases, but don't expect to FL resize anything large, as the handle is short and there is no compound linkage. The priming system is finicky and hard to setup so it works correctly. Even though it has 4-stations, don't think that you will be able to use it as a progressive, as the work area where the dies set is somewhat cramped.

I like the '444' because it is small, sets on top of the bench, and doesn't take up much room. I use it for large pistol cases (.357mag, .44mag and .45LC), plus rifle cartridges that don't require FL resizing.

Here is an early pic of my bench.

Mike Kerr
01-08-2014, 11:24 PM
I believe the OP and Kevin Rohrer are talking about two different presses. Neat picture though.

singleshot
01-08-2014, 11:29 PM
Kevin, thanks for the reply. I was looking at that press as well, but I'm more interested in the big Champion vs. the 444 pistol Champ.

Where do spent primers go on the 444 Champ?

LUBEDUDE
01-09-2014, 12:36 AM
The Champion is a Beast capable of doing anything you want I believe. It is comparable or may be better than the Redding UltraMag.

I believe R1KK1 has one. Maybe he will chime in to confirm.

r1kk1
01-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Thanks Lubedude,

The Champion's ram is slightly larger than 1-⅛" and solid! It is drilled through for primer disposal and I place a waste can underneath and it catches 100% of the primers. It come with a bushing reducing die to handle ⅞ or 1" dies. Very ergonomic and very powerful. I use it case forming and the front of the frame fits my hand so I have a place to hang onto when doing tough chores. It was 30 lbs and slightly shorter in height to the Ultramag which weighs about the same. I believe Richard Lee stated in his book this press is 40x stronger than needed be.

The bad:

You can use a ram priming device or hand prime. The press does not have a slotted ram to use the old T style rocker primer assembly.

The Hornady LNL bushings do not work in this press as it's a different thread pitch.

The Lee bullet sizing dies are engulfed in the bushing. I don't use a lock ring as there is not much room with a ram extension.

That's it.

A beast as stated earlier and ram alignment to die is spot on. No guiding cases into the die. It's very user friendly.

I really like mine. Very old design. A HD press.

Take care

r1kk1

r1kk1
01-09-2014, 08:27 AM
Ch4d sells swaging dies for the Champion

seagiant
01-09-2014, 01:11 PM
Hi,
No pics???:roll:

r1kk1
01-09-2014, 05:46 PM

Ickisrulz
01-09-2014, 07:00 PM
I have one. They are cast steel not iron. The one I have has no slots for a primer arm. The old ones do and the new ones on CH4d's website look like they do. I like mine very much. It is a heavy well made press. I have swaged on it using the CH4d dies.

Kevin Rohrer
01-09-2014, 09:18 PM
Kevin, thanks for the reply. I was looking at that press as well, but I'm more interested in the big Champion vs. the 444 pistol Champ.

Where do spent primers go on the 444 Champ?

Whoops, I just noticed the word "Champion". Sorry.

Spent primers fall thru the shell holder and are captured in a clear plastic cup that attaches to the underside of it.

singleshot
01-09-2014, 09:26 PM
Thanks all for the replies! I think the CH4D Champion will do everything I'll ask of it.