PDA

View Full Version : ?? on personal experances with small primer 45 ACP

Wayne S
01-08-2014, 05:31 PM
Looking for personal experiences with small primer 45 ACP brass / loads ??

scattershot
01-08-2014, 06:16 PM
I have loaded these with the same data I use for the large primer brass. I do mark them, though, and keep them separate for reloading.

rintinglen
01-08-2014, 06:25 PM
1st time I came across one, there was a loud bang when I tried seating a primer. A change of shorts later and a much more careful sorting of my brass revealed I had about 38 of those Tight bottomed Federal boogers. I went ahead and finished loading the other large primer brass, then loaded up the small ones. I had a problem in that my shellholder was a little loosey-goosey when guiding the smaller primers in. (I was using an old Lee Hand press). Once primed, they loaded up no different than any others, I put them in a plastic bag to keep them separate. When I went to the range, they shot just about the same as their large primered compatriots. But I did not bother to pick them up and now discard any I find.

When I set up my Dillon for 45acp, It is a nuisance to swap out primer tubes and feeds, and I don't need any more loud noises. If I was a real high volume shooter, I'd maybe got to the hassle of setting up for separate runs, but I'd prefer not to go to that trouble. For my use, 400-800 rounds a year, it ain't worth the worry.

Wayne S
01-08-2014, 06:55 PM
Rintinglen, , thanks for the no difference in performance comments, I'll just pass on the trade

ACrowe25
01-08-2014, 07:30 PM
It's an easy catch when sorting. I keep mine incase I can't find LPP...

Vulcan Bob
01-09-2014, 12:51 AM
I have a few boxes of the SP Federal brass. I have reloaded them using the same loads I use for the LP brass and cannot really see any difference. I suppose that I should get the chrono out when it gets warmer and do a check between the two. Brian Pearce in Handloader said he feels the SP brass may yield slightly better accuracy than the LP brass and may do an article on the subject.

Rainier
01-09-2014, 01:17 AM
For what it's worth - I see no difference in performance between large and small primer. With primers sometimes of late getting in short supply it's nice to be able to use either.

BCRider
01-09-2014, 05:43 AM
I've got enough small primer brass that it's worth it to use it. I've only shot a little of it so far but with the same powder charge as the large primer loads I can't say I can feel any significant difference. The chrono may or may not show a difference.

gtgeorge
01-09-2014, 05:54 AM
I sort them out and turn them into 400CB brass to never find their way back as 45acp.

aspangler
01-09-2014, 07:56 AM
If you don't want them, send them to me. I could dispose of them for you at no charge to you.:roll:

ReloaderFred
01-09-2014, 12:36 PM
I use the same data for both, and have found an average of 25 fps less with the SP primed brass, but absolutely no difference in point of impact on paper out to 25 yards, which is the farthest I've tested them.

I just separate them and load in batches. I find it's good brass.

Hope this helps.

Fred

dilly
01-09-2014, 01:09 PM
I prefer them as I hate changing my press's priming mechanism.

wvmanchu
01-09-2014, 01:15 PM
Had one sneak into a batch of brass on my progressive press, the loud bang reminded me to double check all my brass before putting it in the feeder. Load them now on another press because I don't have a small primer feed on my Hornady Projector.

Old Caster
01-09-2014, 01:49 PM
I have come across quite a few small primers in 45's lately and when loading and coming up on one, I just get a clunk because it doesn't fit, sometimes ruining the primer because it no longer will fit in a large case after ruining the edges. I have never had a primer go off even when crushed in sideways or deprimed after seating it with just a normal depriming tool and that includes Federal. I and several of my friends have tried to set off a primer in a press doing all sorts of ridiculous things like being rough with them and none of us have ever set one off. I can't imagine what the few of you that claim that a primer will go off in their press are doing.

Anytime you change even the primer brand, it effects the load so changing from large to small will change things but I doubt if it will ever be enough to care or matter. I only have 50 or so small pistol 45 cases so it isn't worth it to me to load them. If I had a lot, I would.

Wag
01-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Other than the PITA of having to sort them out and prime them separately, I don't have any issues with them at all.

--Wag--

44man
01-10-2014, 10:34 AM
We found the SP cut groups in half or better from an ACP revolver and just a tiny bit better from the 1911.
It improved the revolver so much my friend bought 1000 SP cases.

btroj
01-10-2014, 10:55 AM
I throw em away. I find a couple dozen a year as range pickups. My Dillon has a devil of a time fitting a LPP in the SP pocket.....

They irritate me

prs
01-10-2014, 05:44 PM
I discard them too. Jambs a press to a dead top.

prs

DRNurse1
01-10-2014, 06:18 PM
Some of the folks I shoot with use them so I trade them or just give them away. It is a pain to check for them, but worth the effort. The ones the SPP crown give me are usually found when the SPP drops out and leaves a trail of powder through their progressive press, [smilie=l:---but no 'Bang for them'--:bigsmyl2:

daniel lawecki
01-10-2014, 06:20 PM
Nothing wrong with small pistol primer 45acp hang on to them. Lately small pistol primers are easier to get then large primers rainy day brass.