PDA

View Full Version : Make NRA Lube batch softer & stickier?

SniderBoomer
01-08-2014, 04:15 PM
I am currently awaiting ingredients for making batches of Ben's Red.

Meantime, I have old stock of my first home-made lube, made to the old NRA lube formula,

1 part Beeswax
1 part Paraffin
1 part Vaseline

I have a slight problem with it.

When I pan-lube with it, whether I cut the boolits out with a close-fit cookie-cutter or even push-out the boolits, the lube often doesn't seem to stick too well into the grooves on my boolits, albeit Lee boolits which I know don't often have the deepest lube-grooves. It's as if the wax is shrinking back too much as it cools (even when poured to heated boolits), withdrawing clean out of the shallow grooves, if you know what I'm meaning. When I do get it to stick it has been fine for my needs, so I'd like to use up what I have for my plinking loads, if I can make it more 'sticky' and a better fill to my boolits grooves.

I was going to add Vaseline, but don't want to chase my tail here adding that if there's a better way.

How would you 'sticky' it up some and address the shrinkage? Add Red'N'Tacky or something? I suddenly acquired a load of that...

OuchHot!
01-08-2014, 04:29 PM
I would try putting a little lee liquid alox or some lanolin in place of some of the paraffin. But I have not actually done that with your mix, ymmv!

Baja_Traveler
01-08-2014, 04:31 PM
Get some Anhydrous Lanolin from RandyRat. It will serve to both soften the lube and add a stickyness you are after...

geargnasher
01-08-2014, 06:49 PM
Add lanolin at 2 TBS per pound. The same amount of bar and chain oil will help as well, but I'd advise against combining the two in the same batch.

Gear

SniderBoomer
01-09-2014, 06:27 AM
Thanks guys, that's just the ticket.

zomby woof
01-18-2014, 10:37 PM
I had that recipe with a little STP oil treatment.