PDA

View Full Version : Tinfoil Hat Alert - Velveeta Shortage ~ OMG!

Outpost75
01-08-2014, 01:15 PM
http://article.wn.com/view/2014/01/07/Velveeta_Shortage_Is_It_The_Start_Of_A_Cheesepocal ypse/#/related_news :roll:

wallenba
01-08-2014, 01:30 PM
Well... there goes my ultra secret, super smelling, boolit lube formula main ingredient. Maybe Gouda would be good, huh?

Outpost75
01-08-2014, 02:29 PM
Well... there goes my ultra secret, super smelling, boolit lube formula main ingredient. Maybe Gouda would be good, huh?

I thought that Velveeta as boolit lube was covered by the Official Secrets Act! That's where Lyman Orange came from....

The disinformation thread is supposed to recommend Limberger, not Gouda.....

dragon813gt
01-08-2014, 03:07 PM
I don't consider Velveeta to be real cheese. I honestly don't know one person that eats it. Maybe this a marketing stunt to get people to buy a slow moving product.

Westwindmike
01-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Velveeta is like liquid gold. Makes the best mac and cheese that I've ever had. Time to go stock up!

jonas302
01-08-2014, 03:28 PM
Oh man glad I picked up an extra block before Obama bought it all (: Guess I'm a horder now well I will give you guys first chance 50,000 22 LR for 2 pounds Velveeta

Good for grilled cheese sandwiches too but not as regular sandwich cheese

dragon813gt
01-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Makes the best mac and cheese that I've ever had.
I can't possibly believe that it makes the best mac and cheese. I guess it's true when they say Velveeta is the cheese for people who can't cook.

MT Gianni
01-08-2014, 03:35 PM
A lot of people must be fishing for catfish.

Outpost75
01-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Velveeta and SPAM! Better than green eggs and ham. With white bread, ketchup, pepper, and mayo, oh man!

DRNurse1
01-08-2014, 03:56 PM
I am not sure how to react to this: Velveeta is great on a treble hook. I have used it to attract varmits in the yard (well, some was tossed in the yard and the varmits found it, good shootin' and they kept coming back!!!). But I can not recall eating it, unless it found its way into something the Navy cooks made or one of the two (yes I have only eaten two) Philly Cheesesteaks I have eaten.

I do like cheese, but have not yet added it to my lube formula. I think I will wait for the extreme loobe guru's to attack that problem.

Lloyd Smale
01-08-2014, 04:57 PM
love velveta mac and cheese!!

dragon813gt
01-08-2014, 05:02 PM
(yes I have only eaten two) Philly Cheesesteaks I have eaten.

Only tourists get it w/ wiz. And if the word Philly is in front of cheesesteak it's neither good nor the real deal.

Changeling
01-08-2014, 06:22 PM
This is a Ploy! You might not like it but thousands do.

Write down the price now so you can get an education in economics! Price will jump up and never come down.

Look at "Bacon/beef" , the justification there was because of a failure in the corn crop it cost more to feed the pigs and Beef so prices jumped to rediculious levels and are still rising, because people are paying it!!! The corn crop problem was a 1 year occurance!

Actually it had no to a small effect (for a year) on the meat prices other than the hype that was put forth. It was a PLOY!

Ask the farmers and Cattle raisers if they are enjoying the obsurd price increases that the gorcery store levels are getting? The public is being conned!!!

The latest thing/refutal is various industries/companies hiring individuals on the major "Forums" to try and Discredit individuals saying the things I am telling you, in years gone by these individuals were known as "Ringers". They are about the lowest of the low life there is! They will sell out there friends/neighbors/whatever for some amount of money! Think about it!

I'm sure there will be a lot who will say I am way off base! Well get there slant from a business/price explanation. Ask them about "Programed Progressive Pricing", I'm sure that will get there attention!!!

MT Gianni
01-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Changeliing, I believe that pork/beef prices have far more to do with the drought of 2011-12 and the massive herd sell off that occurred. Many ranchers sold 100% of their herd as they could not afford to buy hay. 3-4 years ago 850 lb steers sold for 85 cents to 99 cents, now they are $1.70. Ranchers are getting the $$ but those who sold have no $$ to get back in, replacement heifers are at record highs and hay is still questionable, I saw hay @ $180-$225 a ton locally with in field pick-up, up from $100 in 2011 summer.

waksupi
01-08-2014, 07:12 PM
On a related subject, this is the time of year to buy pork. I ordered a hog a week ago. Prices are generally best between Christmas and the second week in January.

Sweetpea
01-08-2014, 07:37 PM
Gouda is too temperature sensitive...

Think Feta...

w0fms
01-08-2014, 07:40 PM
Hmm.. after reading this issue, all I can say.. as a really accomplished cook.. is you could always use cheese instead of Pasteurized process cheese product... you might like the results better... ;)

Uncle Jimbo
01-08-2014, 08:14 PM
This is too funny. What a good way to start a run on your product than start a rumor that there is a shortage on it. Hold back shipping for a week to validate the shortage and wala, all the hordes buy everything in sight.
:happy dance:

Dale in Louisiana
01-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Block of Velveeta, can of Ro-Tel tomatoes, melted and swirled together, that's almost a traditional SuperBowl dip.

dale in Louisiana

wch
01-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Block of Velveeta, can of Ro-Tel tomatoes, melted and swirled together, that's almost a traditional SuperBowl dip.

dale in Louisiana

Works pretty good here in PA, too, Dale!

dragon813gt
01-08-2014, 09:57 PM
On a related subject, this is the time of year to buy pork. I ordered a hog a week ago. Prices are generally best between Christmas and the second week in January.

I bought half a pig on the second. Got a guaranteed price that's a lot cheaper then I paid last March. And the grocery stores are practically giving away whole pork loins. I bought a bunch of them as well since we eat a lot of them throughout the year.

This type of shortage bothers me. Let's say it is fake. Are corporations stooping to the level of lying to their customers to maximize profits? I would like to say that will come back to bite them in the ***. But the typical American has a short memory and won't take a stand against anything. And with so few companies producing the majority of the food in the grocery stores they will find it hard to boycott all their products.

But I think it could be real as well. I work in a large Kraft plant that used to produce a lot cheese and cheese type products. They stopped all production of it at the plant and did not start it up anywhere else. If they did this at a few plants it could decrease their capacity and doesn't allow for any equipment failures.

I'm just trying to look at it from both sides. For some reason I'm leaning towards it being a corporate lie to increase profits.

TXGunNut
01-08-2014, 10:34 PM

dale in Louisiana

It doesn't take that big of a bowl, one quart will do. ;-)

MaryB
01-09-2014, 12:10 AM
I thought it was a can of Wolf chili and a small block of Velveeta melted in...

reloader28
01-10-2014, 12:08 PM
The wife mixes chili and velveeta.
I'm sure its not real cheese just a like substance.
Other than the chili dip, I hate that fakey ****.

Hey, I didnt say anything bad, just **** and it blocked it.

HUH, did it again.

twotoescharlie
01-10-2014, 12:33 PM
working for one of thee major food peocessinfg industries for 28 years, I can tell you Velveeta is 90% H2O.

TTC

Lloyd Smale
01-11-2014, 10:14 AM
might be something to it. My neigbor gets those old folks food packages every month and they allways have a block of cheese in them. He doesnt eat it so he gives it to me. He said there was none in this months shipment.

CastingFool
01-11-2014, 10:18 AM
Don't use the stuff, it's not real cheese anyway.

Shiloh
01-11-2014, 11:03 AM
I'll add to the supply by not adding pressure to the dwindling supply. Gosh-awful stuff.

Shiloh

Dale in Louisiana
01-11-2014, 06:03 PM
walked into the local Kroger this morning. They had PILES of the stuff. If it's a shortage they're doing it wrong.

dale in Louisiana

Col4570
01-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Used up all my Cheeses after Christmas, Stilton, Brie,Camambert,The trouble is I am addicted to Jalapenos as well.Montezuma had his revenge later.

DRNurse1
01-11-2014, 06:36 PM

dale in Louisiana

Works pretty good here in PA, too, Dale!

I have never tried the Rotel tomato trick on my treble hook...who would have thunk it...LOL!

Dale in Louisiana
01-12-2014, 01:37 PM
I have never tried the Rotel tomato trick on my treble hook...who would have thunk it...LOL!

When i think of all the things that went on a hook to catch catfish on a trotline, 'tomato' never made our list, but judging against the other things that DO work, I don't see why not.

Catfish will bite on almost anything.

dale in Louisiana

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-12-2014, 01:46 PM
Only tourists get it w/ wiz. And if the word Philly is in front of cheesesteak it's neither good nor the real deal.
I've never been to PA, but I watched a travelling food show on the TV,
they said to order you say: "wit" or "wit out"

dragon813gt
01-12-2014, 02:10 PM
I've never been to PA, but I watched a travelling food show on the TV,
they said to order you say: "wit" or "wit out"

It's "with" or "with out". That refers to onions. And only the tourist traps have you order that way. They refer to the bagged cheese as "wiz". That accent drives me nuts as well Water is spelled Wooter by way to many.

If you want a real cheesesteak you need to leave Philly. The best place IMO is Dalessandro's in Roxborough(technically Philly). They've won the Best Of a few times. Geno's and Pat's are both terrible. The best option in that area is Jim's which is right on South Street. Tony Luke's is even better than Geno's and Pat's. If you go to any local Italian shop you get a better cheesesteak than all the tourist traps.

bikerbeans
01-12-2014, 02:26 PM
Velvetta
Homel Chili
Any brand of Hot Salsa

Put it in a crock pot on low

Before they turned 30, my son and his friends loved this stuff with nacho chips. They now seem to have out grown it and survived. I have never tried to eat if but after spending a lot of time cleaning out crock pots I think it would make a first class construction adhesive. Not sure what Velvetta is made of but based on the calorie content I would say not much of it came out of a cow udder.

BB

Changeling
01-12-2014, 06:26 PM
Thanks a lot, I've heard the exact same thing from other people.
I'm in Frederick Maryland and there was only one place to go "Mountain View" however the hostess is somewhat mentally changelenged so I just quit going there!

fourarmed
01-21-2014, 07:09 PM
A friend of mine once described the town in which we were working as "A place where you find Velveeta in the gourmet section of the supermarket."

gwpercle
01-24-2014, 02:02 PM
I found the company's official statement saying there was going to be a shortage, it never said exactly why or what was causing this " shortage ".
My thoughts are , whats an easy way to sell something....say there is going to be a shortage! The alarmist will come out of the woodwork to stock up on it , even if they don't like the stuff.
I was talking to a coworker the other day about finding 22 ammo. He was buying it and didn't have a 22. When I asked him why, his answer was " because they were there, I could buy them and everyone else wants them so they must be of value!".....Is that the most stoopidest thing you ever heard? I swear I just don't understand people now days...it don't make good sense.
Too old I guess...Gary
I hope we don't have a Spam shortage...I enjoy a good Spam sandwich, with mayo on white bread!

a.squibload
01-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Velveeta??? YICK!

Unless it's melted with Ro-tel to make "con queso".

Spam is the noise a pig makes when it hits the bottom of the elevator shaft.

theperfessor
01-27-2014, 09:22 PM
I love Spam and eggs. I love Velveeta in chili and in salsa. I love fried Spam and Velveeta sandwiches. I'm not going to hoarde either one; I normally have a spare block of Velveeta and 2 - 3 cans of Spam on hand. I really appreciateciate all you connoisseurs that won't put any pressure on my food supplies....

dtknowles
01-28-2014, 12:29 AM
[QUOTE=gwpercle;2593966]I swear I just don't understand people now days...it don't make good sense.
Too old I guess...Gary[QUOTE]

Dude, it is not people now days, they have always been some like that. At your age I am surprised you don't know better.

Tim

dtknowles
01-28-2014, 12:37 AM
I love Spam and eggs. I love Velveeta in chili and in salsa. I love fried Spam and Velveeta sandwiches. I'm not going to hoarde either one; I normally have a spare block of Velveeta and 2 - 3 cans of Spam on hand. I really appreciateciate all you connoisseurs that won't put any pressure on my food supplies....

Yeah, those elitist connoisseurs a will not put much price pressure on my food supply either. I don't stock SPAM or Velveeta but I do use Velveeta from time to time. I place of SPAM I have canned hams but to each his own. I make a mean ham and cheese sandwich or omelet but with real ham and real cheese. The Velveeta goes in dips or mac and cheese unless the SHTF and then real cheese will run out and out comes the Velveeta for every cheese task.

Tim

DLCTEX
01-28-2014, 09:44 AM
We prefer the Surfine brand over Velveeta, makes a better dip and Mac n cheese.IMHO

Moonman
01-28-2014, 10:50 AM
Velveeta,

"CHEESE OF THE GODS"

lylejb
02-01-2014, 05:30 PM
As of last night, velveeta was still on the shelf at the Safeway store here.

I didn't further any shortage by taking any.