PDA

View Full Version : Weather Worries - Any preppers around here?

williamwaco
01-08-2014, 12:59 PM
I have never been a religious prepper. I have leanings in that direction but have never been fanatical.

During the recent ice storm, I was without power for 18 hours.
Many in the area were out for four days.
I nearly froze my butt off.

Then two weeks later, here comes another ice storm.

I, am afraid it is not over.

Yesterday, we were told that this Monday the State of Texas came within two hours of losing its entire grid.
Several substations did fail.

I have found religion.

I am going to buy a propane space heater that will keep at least one room warm.
I also want to be able to eat.

Now, have a question ? ? ?

This is beginning to bother me.

I did a lot of research last night on emergency heat and cooking.

There are many space heaters that run on propane that are specifically intended for indoor use.
( After all, who would try to use one to warm up his back yard? )

All of the propane cook stoves specifically state outdoor use only.

If I can run a propane heater indoors for 24 hours, why can't I run a propane cook stove for 30 minutes?

Next idea - I grew up in the country. 100% of the people who lived outside the city limits, thousands of them, Had 250 to 500 gallon propane tanks and used propane for everything except light. They used it for heating their homes, for their hot water, and for cooking. Most of them still do.

Why can't I use a small propane cook stove to heat up a can of soup during an ice storm?

bhn22
01-08-2014, 01:28 PM
I have two propane heaters, one large, and one small, a Coleman tent heater, three Coleman lanterns, two Coleman florescent lanterns, a half dozen 3- D Cell Maglights, a couple of small Surefire lights, including one on a rifle [smilie=1:, two Coleman stoves, dozens of blankets, and a minimum of thirty days of food and water. When Nebraskas good, it's real good. When Nebraskas bad, it's real bad.

starmac
01-08-2014, 01:32 PM
Just get a thee burner colman camp stove and use it. Unless a guy is a complete idiot it will not hurt anything. I don't know if they still make them, but there were some small two burner castiron countertop stoves sold for years.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-08-2014, 01:33 PM
You can do it but you have to understand that if left on, it could kill you. A wood stove sure works great for a lot of things.

Beau Cassidy
01-08-2014, 01:40 PM
I keep a 17,500 kw generac handy. Just got it a few weeks ago. It will run the whole house. I don't have it wired into the house i currently live in but will on the next one.

Outpost75
01-08-2014, 02:17 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?220318-Small-portable-generators&p=2483162&viewfull=1#post2483162

AK Caster
01-08-2014, 02:33 PM
7,500 watt generator that starts by battery plugged into a transfer switch on the house. It will not power everything in the house at once but will power the furnace blower and a few other goodies as well as run the electric stove as long as I am not using the dryer and microwave at the same time.

Outpost75
01-08-2014, 03:00 PM
7,500 watt generator that starts by battery plugged into a transfer switch on the house. It will not power everything in the house at once but will power the furnace blower and a few other goodies as well as run the electric stove as long as I am not using the dryer and microwave at the same time.

+1 on a full-panel-rated genset with solid state automatic transfer switch wired into the panel. Minimum size you want for average house is about 10Kw. A 20Kw system is not overkill if you have a large house electric water heater, refrigerator and freezer, sump and well pump, furnace blowers, central AC in summertime and need also to run machine shop or farm equipment.

oneokie
01-08-2014, 03:21 PM
Unless you are in a location that prohibits gas appliances, trash the electric cookstove and replace it with either a NG or LPG cookstove. My 2¢

Blacksmith
01-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Prepping 101
Think of all the things you do then think of doing them without electricity.

There are lots of resources to help you on your journey.
Cast Boolits Outdoorsman Forum Prepper Talk section
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?104-Prepper-Talk

Lehman's has a lot of products that help.
https://www.lehmans.com/default.aspx

Stoves > Cookstoves > Gas and Kerosene Burning
https://www.lehmans.com/c-123-gas-and-kerosene-burning.aspx

Including gas lights.
https://www.lehmans.com/c-19-gas-lights.aspx

This site provides an overview of the areas you need to think about, read the list down the left side.
http://www.provident-living-today.com/

Here is the LDS Self Reliance web site very good food storage information.
http://providentliving.org/self-reliance?lang=eng

Enough to get you started.

AggieEE
01-08-2014, 04:50 PM
williamwaco, This maybe a repeat of common sense but better safe etc. The propane "space heaters" need to have a window left open an inch or two for fresh air to burn exhaust CO, CO2 etc. so does any cooking stove that burns anything. I agree with the posters above about having a whole house backup power system but it costs $$$$. If you have woods around you go with a wood burning stove cause if the propane guy doesn't have you topped off and winter decides to hang around for a while it's kind of hard to get a refill if nothing is moving. My two cents. Stay warm.

Lloyd Smale
01-08-2014, 05:01 PM
just about any gas range sold today needs electricity to work.
Unless you are in a location that prohibits gas appliances, trash the electric cookstove and replace it with either a NG or LPG cookstove. My 2¢

oneokie
01-08-2014, 05:54 PM

All newer gas ovens need electricity to operate--However there are still gas cookstoves available that the top burners can be lit with a match or lighter.

Jailer
01-08-2014, 06:00 PM
Lloyd is right, no juice no stove.

I've got a few bases covered but not enough for my liking. We have a free standing wood stove in the living room so we have heat. We have a propane grill with side burner so we have a means to cook. Next up is a generator so we can run the well pump and have water. This past ice storm I melted snow in 5 gallon buckets for flushing water for the toilet and that got us by.

My long term plan is to replace the electric stove and hot water heater so we can ride out a power outage for a period of time and still live comfortably.

This was us warming up dinner during the last power outage:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/Img_0232_zps632e4a45.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Jailer/media/posting%20pics/Img_0232_zps632e4a45.jpg.html)

ShooterAZ
01-08-2014, 06:09 PM
Four years ago we got almost 6' of snow here in a 48 hour period. Lots of power outages and roof collapses. The snow plows simply could not keep up, and of course the residential neighborhoods were the last to be cleared. Yeah, I got a generator and keep the pantry very well stocked. I can cook on a Coleman stove in the carport, but need the generator for running the furnace. I keep several 5gal Sparklett water on hand too. Extra gas cans and Stabil. I will not get caught unprepared again.

B R Shooter
01-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Well, it's not exactly true all gas stoves need electricity. We replaced our electric stove with a Hotpoint gas stove, installed the propane orifaces, and it works great. Now, it does have electric igniters, BUT, the top burners can be lit with a match just like the old stoves. It's the oven/broiler burners that use electric igniters where you can't get to them.

Wood stove for heat. Where the issue comes in is water. No power, no well pump. We were out of power for 4 days several years ago, we had drinking water stored so that wasn't a problem. Luckily, I had a couple plastic drums that I collected rain water in for the garden. They didn't totally freeze, so I was able to get water to flush the toilets.

A small propane burner for cooking shouldn't be a problem when used cautiously, they burn pretty clean. You can't use it for heat that long. e do have a propane "ventless" heater that has ceramic elements that get red hot. That must help burn off CO.

Use common sense, think about what's important to you. Heat and water are biggies!

Jailer
01-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Extra gas cans and Stabil. I will not get caught unprepared again.

And easier way is to have several and rotate them. I have 6 labled 1-6; #1 gets refreshed in January and July, #2 in February and August and so on. They get rotated every six months so no sta bil is needed. When you go to fill up your car dump the can in the gas tank and take the can with you to fill up. You end up spending the same amount you would have if you were just filling up your vehicle but you get a fresh can of gas in the process.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b180/Jailer/posting%20pics/Img_0219_zps7c171863.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/Jailer/media/posting%20pics/Img_0219_zps7c171863.jpg.html)

MtGun44
01-08-2014, 06:48 PM
William -
two ways to go - generate enough electricity to run your furnace, if it is oil, gas or propane, is the
easiest way to stay warm. You can only run it a few hours at a time to keep up.
You'll need a cooker, will address that in a minute. Probably need enough to run a 1 hp motor,
so at least 3 Kw rated, even though a HP is only 760 watts, you want enough excess so the
unit isn't overstressed and you can run some lights. Will need to get the furnace and a couple
lights put on their own circuits and pulled to an extra box to run them alone. Or power the whole
house but be careful to turn everything off before starting the genset, AND open the main
breaker to outside power.

Second is a direct heater. Safest is propane, pretty safe, even when unvented. Most houses
have plenty of leakage to exchange air. If you are really worried, crack a window 1/4" at
opposite ends of the house, way plenty for a propane heater. Propane is C3H8, in any
sort of a decent burner makes NO carbon monoxide, mostly water and some carbon
dioxide, which is harmless at low levels.

C3H8 + 5 O2 → 3 CO2 + 4 H2O + heat <<<----- note that it makes no CO

Carbon monoxide is not harmless, even at fairly low levels because it permanently binds
to hemoglobin, never letting go, so even a small amount builds up in the blood, taking
out oxygen transfer capacity. Carbon dioxide is always exhaled by everyone, so it
is in the air all the time, needs a real high concentration to hurt, not easy to do
by accident in any normally leaky home with a small burner. Run a big old
200,000 BTU jet type heater in the house for a while and you may have a problem. Not
likely with a 10-20K BTU unit. Bathroom heaters were like this for many decades and
no problems. I use one in a 5x10 bathroom at my cabin without issues. Also warehouses
run propane powered forklifts all day inside.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mega-Heat-Single-Tank-Propane-Heater-607/17331880

This may be available near you. If not, find one like it about 15,000 BTUs would
be nice, but 10,000 will help a lot.

Cooking: lots of choices but this is a good one, simple, cheap, small and a gallon can
of Coleman fuel will last a couple of weeks of simple one-pot meals.

eBay 3141160885552 Coleman 502 'Sportsman' single burner compact stove

No longer in production, I think, but well made and will last forever if treated even
halfway reasonably. Perfectly safe when used for cooking meals alone.

This one may solve both needs - run it wide open for heat, throttle down for cooking.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002715WPS/ref=asc_df_B002715WPS2898743?smid=A1RDYXN1JW1DJR&tag=nextagusmp0382347-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002715WPS

Get a 40 lb propane tank, need a hose if you get the cast iron heater, but the
reflector heater bolts right on the tank. Went thru all this for a group of friends worried
about Y2K, and I told them that you aren't getting ready for Y2K, you are getting
ready for an ice storm. Y2K won't happen, but an ice storm WILL.

Bill

FISH4BUGS
01-08-2014, 06:58 PM
We are prepared. 2009 we had an ice storm and were out of power for 11 days. The generator that we had at that time did not do the job. The well is 600 feet deep and it has a 240v pump motor. Guess what....no water. We had lights and heat, but no water. How silly is that?
Upgraded the generator and now here is how we are prepared: generator that runs freezer, fridge, well pump, most of the lights, the casting shed man cave (that was important!) sump pumps and furnace.
The furnace has been relegated to backup only anyway for we have a Jotul big mama wood stove that heats the entire house. It is usually 85 in the stove room, 70+ in the living room, and low 60's upstairs. You still need to wear socks and a fleece upstairs, but it is certainly livable. Propane fired hot water (the only thing the furnace does any more) and propane cooking stove. Small propane portable hurricane heater for a room if needed.
The generator has 50 gallons of backup fuel with StaBil in it. We rotate the gas annually. The generator runs everything we need including the well pump now. We have hot water, and the neighbors know they can come for a hot shower and coffee if the power is down for a while.
We have a freezer full of food. There are some 20 vacuum sealed chickens in the freezer, along with our veggies from the garden. Plenty of backup lanterns, flashlights, a number of guns always laying around here and there [smilie=1:, flashlights, snow blower, etc.
I am not worried to have the power go out. It keeps us on our toes. One time is bad enough. 11 days without water did it for me.
I don't consider myself a prepper. I consider my self prepared. I think there is a difference. Here in rural NH the power occasionally goes out for no reason. When it storms it can be bad....very bad. Last storm gave us 14" of snow, 15 below with 35 MPH winds. Since we are up on a ridge, we trade a beautiful view for howling winds.
I wouldn't have it any other way.

MT Gianni
01-08-2014, 07:08 PM
The ovens do, top burners even if electronic ignition can still belit with a match.

MT Gianni
01-08-2014, 07:09 PM
LP heaters have an oxygen depletion device that shuts them off if the room oxygen levels fall below dangerous levels. It is not practical to do so with a cook stove.

jonp
01-08-2014, 07:28 PM
There are national stds as to the btu output depending on the room for propane heaters. 8k for bathrooms/18k for bedrooms etc. These are max but you can figure out what is right using the volume of a room.

762 shooter
01-08-2014, 08:02 PM
I can assure you that my propane GE Profile stove top is not dependent on electricity to operate. How does that work? If you have no power the propane doesn't come out of the burners?

Usually I would stay away from the term prepper. All you are doing is telling others that if there is any type of supply problem, (water, food, ammo, heat, propane, Etc.) they can count on you and not have to fend for themselves. Don't get me started.

Rule of threes, 3 minutes without air, three days without water, three weeks without food.

Try to mix and match your power sources. Propane is hard to beat. Pretty much unlimited shelf life.
A very impressive amount of BTU's per storage volume. Portable. Very, very small signature. And reasonably economical.

Whether you are trying to be ready for the next 4 hour power outage, or want to be in good shape after the next worldwide alien invasion, start small. Secure some water. Secure some food. Get a good LED flashlight. Being ready is difficult before, impossible during, and easy after.

jcwit
01-08-2014, 08:03 PM
I have a couple of the kerosene radiant heaters that were all the rage 30 years ago, we still use one to supplement heat in our TV room, I keep it at 78 to 80 degrees there. K-1 kerosene is available at the pump as I live in Amish country.

I've switched all emergency lighting to LED, both lanterns & flashlights. Flashlights that focus to a bright spot are available on E-Bay direct from china in the $3.00 price range. Plus they'll light for hours with only 3 AAA batteries. Most of my other battery operated lanterns I've converted to use AA batteries. There is D cell adapters that use 2 AA per adapter. I also use these as night lights, handy to find when lit and carry around and I use rechargeable AA cells.

I also still have single & double burner Coleman Stoves using white gas, again available at the pump here in Amish country. Even have the accessary tin oven to place on the burners to back with.

So I'm able to keep cozy warm, see where I'm going, and eat hot food.

CastingFool
01-08-2014, 08:21 PM
We have two stoves, one electric, the other runs on propane. If the power goes out, I can still make my coffee!

MrWolf
01-08-2014, 08:37 PM
I have an old hand pump that runs off the well pump line. I only need to prime it and have emergency water. I have also rigged a plug that I attach to the pump so I can plug it into my generator. Next house I am going with the whole house generator.

winchester85
01-08-2014, 08:53 PM
i have regular natural gas heat, but keep the thermostats low. i use the woodstove to keep the house over 56 degrees. i can cook on it too. i also take care of the neighbors place, we set up a backup generator mostly so i could still have water during a wildfire (they shut the power off if a fire is anywhere near). 35kw will run the house, barn and almost anything i could ever plug in. just go flip the switch and push the start button.

quilbilly
01-08-2014, 08:54 PM
My semi-preppie goal to go with our wood stove that heats the house and be cooked on is to find garden veggies that will grow in our area's wet cool climate as well as keep for long periods. My biggest success to date is working with the unique small Ozette potato which were brought to the Olympic peninsula by the Spaniards 250+ years ago and have thrived here since grown by the Indians. They keep well, grow fast in a very short period, and taste great. They would do well in SE Alaska too I think.

labradigger1
01-08-2014, 08:59 PM
Two words
wood stove.
Have always lived in rural wv. Have my own well and springs. Propane and electric backup heat, wood stove primary heat. Generator for cooling fridge and freezer. No power is just about life as normal just costs more for fuel. I bought an old diesel rabbit to hook up to a 15kw belt drive generator but have not started yet. I am not a prepper, people here in the mountains have canned food, grew gardens, hunted food and so much more for generations. Everytime i see preppers i giggle as we have been doing this forever
lab

TheCelt
01-08-2014, 10:40 PM
William -
Propane is C3H8, in any

Carbon monoxide is not harmless, even at fairly low levels because it permanently binds
to hemoglobin, never letting go, so even a small amount builds up in the blood, taking
out oxygen transfer capacity. Carbon dioxide is always exhaled by everyone, so it
is in the air all the time, needs a real high concentration to hurt, not easy to do
200,000 BTU jet type heater in the house for a while and you may have a problem. Not
likely with a 10-20K BTU unit. Bathroom heaters were like this for many decades and
no problems. I use one in a 5x10 bathroom at my cabin without issues. Also warehouses

This may be available near you. If not, find one like it about 15,000 BTUs would

Cooking: lots of choices but this is a good one, simple, cheap, small and a gallon can

No longer in production, I think, but well made and will last forever if treated even

This one may solve both needs - run it wide open for heat, throttle down for cooking.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002715WPS/ref=asc_df_B002715WPS2898743?smid=A1RDYXN1JW1DJR&tag=nextagusmp0382347-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395105&creativeASIN=B002715WPS

Bill

Excellent explanation Bill, thanks for the info. We're using a propane heater as the heat pump can't keep up below 30 or so and it's good to know we are relatively safe!!!! Hope Ya'll are staying warm!!

jcwit
01-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Coleman still makes and markets a liquid fuel single burner stove, #533.

MT Gianni
01-09-2014, 12:13 AM
William -
two ways to go - generate enough electricity to run your furnace, if it is oil, gas or propane, is the
easiest way to stay warm. You can only run it a few hours at a time to keep up.
You'll need a cooker, will address that in a minute. Probably need enough to run a 1 hp motor,
so at least 3 Kw rated, even though a HP is only 760 watts, you want enough excess so the
unit isn't overstressed and you can run some lights. Will need to get the furnace and a couple
lights put on their own circuits and pulled to an extra box to run them alone. Or power the whole
house but be careful to turn everything off before starting the genset, AND open the main
breaker to outside power.

Second is a direct heater. Safest is propane, pretty safe, even when unvented. Most houses
have plenty of leakage to exchange air. If you are really worried, crack a window 1/4" at
opposite ends of the house, way plenty for a propane heater. Propane is C3H8, in any

Get a 40 lb propane tank, need a hose if you get the cast iron heater, but the
reflector heater bolts right on the tank. Went thru all this for a group of friends worried
about Y2K, and I told them that you aren't getting ready for Y2K, you are getting
ready for an ice storm. Y2K won't happen, but an ice storm WILL.

Bill

Bill. propane only makes no CO in perfect combustion. After having analyzed the flue products of far too many appliances you get CO at start up, if the burner venturi or top have any dirt or crud in it and if the flame tips are yellow you are making CO. As you have stated you just need to deal with it. The solution to CO poisoning is exposure to Oxygen for the same amount of time you were exposed to CO. generally 48 hours is maximum for being on Ox. In an average human. [40 years old, reasonably fit, 160 lbs, non smoker] 9 parts per million CO in the blood stream is generally fatal. That happens from exposures over 200 ppm per hour/8 hour average exposure in a room with less than one air change per hour.

Garyshome
01-09-2014, 12:51 AM
I used to use a kerosene heater, I have gas logs in this house. Oh and a generator out in the shop!

MaryB
01-09-2014, 01:10 AM
1200 (soon to be 2400) watts of solar panels, 464 amp hour battery bank(will double soon too) 2 1kw inverters so electricity is covered. 12 volt pellet stove that will heat the entire house and only draws 2 amps so 48 amp hours a day. Cooking is via gas stove top, pellet smoker, couple weber kettles, small coleman propane stove. Have a propane space heater also for heat backup. Freezer full of beef and veg from last summers garden. Dried beans, rice etc in the pantry. Canned foods(home and store) also. I have it pretty good during power outages. 2.8kw generator too if the battery bank gets to low.

jim147
01-09-2014, 01:14 AM
A gas oven with HSI only needs about 3.5 amps to run. A small inverter or generator should do that.

Just incase you don't worry about government math, a vented gas appliance can emit 400 PPM of CO. An unvented gas appliance can emit 800 PPM. The unvented units are not meant to be used constantly like vented units.

I have a small gen that will run the furnace and the frige. I have a larger one that will run the house minus the hot water heater. But if it goes more than a day, we are headed for our little cabin that has a wood stove and a backup propane heater in it.

We have done over a week without power here. The house was in the 40's most of the the time but the no water due to the the well pump was the worst part.

I think if you set up to have some heat and water you can make it through a lot.

jim

MtGun44
01-09-2014, 01:35 AM
MTGianni - you are absolutely right about appliances with complex burners, but
a simple open burner, especially with the wire or ceramic radiant type is not going
to be having incomplete combustion, they are right out in open air, no restrictions,
no blowers and venturies with shutters controlling airflow and mixing.

I agree with you on a mis-adjusted/worn appliance with blowers and complex burner
assembly, but not for open flame type burners with radiant heat flame holders.
Massive excess air available so no incomplete combustion.

Also, when I said 'permanently bind to hemoglobin' - I think the recovery is
actually the damaged blood cells being replaced after 48 hours, not sure that
the CO ever clears from the cells that it latches onto. But I may be wrong on
this. Either way - not much CO needed to be bad news and very slow to
clear it.

Bill

Mal Paso
01-09-2014, 02:23 AM

Premier makes a battery/Spark Ignition Range. Oven is Spark too. No AC Power Needed. Made in the USA. Lowes has them.

Wood stove does the heavy lifting here and I snagged one of the last Gas pilot ovens a few years ago.

I've been cut off from town with no power for 3 weeks right here. You can get by running the generator 4-5 hours a day and still keep the fridge cold. I live a bit south of town and have always stocked a little extra food.

uscra112
01-09-2014, 03:13 AM
I grew up in hurricane country. We were always prepared to go without the grid for anything up to 2-3 weeks. Just the way it was. And IMHO still is.

My little farm house is 100% wood heat, Brunco wood furnace with all electrics stripped off, convection only. Keep 1 month's worth of wood under cover, no need to go outside to get at it. THAT is why the old New England farmhouses had an attached woodshed. Grew up in one.

Have 4500 watt genny that puts out enough 220 (single phase) to run the well pump. Have never needed it but it's there. Force of habit. No abode is complete until there's a genny ready to run.

Lots of LED lighting handy at all times. Also have kerosene lamps but don't care to use them anymore.

400 gallon farm tank of gasoline on the place, usually topped up as winter approaches. I still use StaBil - this PRI stabilizer that people talk about is too expensive. I have had StaBil treated gas stay good for as much as 5 years. My turnover rate is under one year.

All communication electronics are on APC battery backups, with optional connection to a 1.2 KWh battery bank if needed. Can recharge the battery from the genny, or 120 watts solar if need be.

Always at least a month's worth of canned food in the house. Usually two or three.

I have a rain water catchment system, put in the collect soft water. (Well water is Rockwell C-60) 150 gallon storage tank in cellar, 300 gallon cage tank outside. In winter that freezes, to the system is off-line until spring. But there's 150 gallons of water there in case the well pump fails or whatever.

Stove is propane. Yes, if there's no electricity it has to be lighted with a match. No the oven won't work, but I don't bake much anyway.

Ironically, here I am ready for the apocalypse, and I've never had a power outage last more than one hour since I got here in 2009. Nor does it snow much here. A whole foot is something people talk about.

MtGun44
01-09-2014, 12:22 PM
uscra112 - I also grew up in hurricane country, learned to hunker down and make do
many times as a kid. ALWAYS had camp stove, canned food, extra water, flashlights,
lanterns, Coleman fuel and batteries. It was easier because we camped all the time
every summer, nearly every weekend, so had all the gear.

Lost power many a time for 3-6 days in the hurricanes of the 60s. My cabin in
the mtns of Colorado is off grid, been solar & propane for 18 years, have a generator
but never use it. Solar has been dead reliable, very sunny in southern Colorado at
10K MSL.

Bill

lightman
01-09-2014, 12:28 PM
I planned to buy a whole house generator before I retire. Now, I'm thinking about doing it this year. The generator, not retirement! Its gonna cost about 5K, but as a Lineman, I don't see things getting any better for us. I probably won't be replaced, when I leave, so we'll be looking at getting our service from another work location. We ALL KNOW what that will mean! I never worried much as long as there was a bucket truck parked in my driveway, but our system is getting older, we are not doing much/or any maintenance, and our workforce is getting smaller and less experienced. Yup, time to buy a generator. Lightman

otter5555
01-09-2014, 02:28 PM
i live totally off grid and never lose power. i heat with wood and keep 12-14 cords on hand at all times. elk/deer/etc live in my yard so there is no shortage of meat. cant grow veggies up here (too high, too cool and i dont want a greenhouse full of bears) so my cabin is full of canned goods that is rotated as used.
life is good.

otter5555
01-09-2014, 02:33 PM
i'm off grid, my entire water system is solar powered. pumps from 320' @ 84 gph. i have 2- 3000gal tanks that stay full. pressure pump is 12v rv pump. we are never out of water.

Smoke4320
01-09-2014, 02:49 PM
for food in emergency situations almost nothing beats MRE's for easy to store, easy to heat and eat meals.. comes with a heater that just needs about 2 OZ of water to activate.. wait 5 minutes and you main meal is piping hot..
the newer versions have some good tasting meals.. many include name brand items, MM's , Austin crackers, Combos, Jack Links jerky to name a few..
and they last at least 10 years !
last 2 houses have had a wood stove.. would never buy a house again without a wood stove ....wood is cheap and burnable trash is everywhere if you need to scrounge

jethunter
01-09-2014, 07:50 PM
I am a prepper, in the sense that I've got a wood stove and enough wood to heat the house for two months in midwinter. And I usually have 60-80 lbs of rice, same in dried beans, 30-40 lbs of flour, and 5 gallons of canola oil on hand at any given time. 20 lbs each of canned meats, fruits, and vegetables. I buy half a beef at a time and have 200-600 lbs of frozen meat in the freezer at any time. Lots of candles, kerosene, matches, and ammuntion. :)

I'm not a prepper in the sense that i'm getting ready for a zombie apocalypse or the collapse of civilization. I'm more worried about ice storms and loss of power / heat during the winter.

Jailer
01-09-2014, 08:31 PM
I am a prepper, in the sense that I've got a wood stove and enough wood to heat the house for two months in midwinter. And I usually have 60-80 lbs of rice, same in dried beans, 30-40 lbs of flour, and 5 gallons of canola oil on hand at any given time. 20 lbs each of canned meats, fruits, and vegetables. I buy half a beef at a time and have 200-600 lbs of frozen meat in the freezer at any time. Lots of candles, kerosene, matches, and ammuntion. :)

I'm not a prepper in the sense that i'm getting ready for a zombie apocalypse or the collapse of civilization. I'm more worried about ice storms and loss of power / heat during the winter.

I wouldn't call that prepping. That's just basic sensible self sufficiency.

freebullet
01-09-2014, 08:54 PM
My nat gas stove top burners will run without juice if manually lit. A buddy heater is rated for indoor use & is easily adapted to different tanks. There are other catalytic propane heaters that can be run indoors. Anything not rated for indoor use may not burn complete enough and may kill you. They also make direct vent gas fireplaces. Then there are wood/waste oil stoves. Many options to stay warm.

firefly1957
01-09-2014, 10:50 PM
I went 42 hours without power last in November every 6 hours or so i ran a 6250 watt generator for an hour to keep the well running and the fridge freezer cold i use that hour when cooking and doing things that require electricity. i used less than 5 gallons of gas for that i have a propane space heater in the house and a propane stove the stove top needs no power to work it can be lit with a match the oven requires power. my furnace is a boiler and a hour in 6 really is not much good i have ran it on a inverter but need a larger one as it takes 600 watts to start and 300 to run and the starting is over the short maximum of a surge rating on a inverter. I also use a few flashlight almost all led now when power is out and a candle if i feel the need. I even ran my sat. internet and laptops off battery / inverters when me and the wife got bored ! I have since then got a new flashlight from Homedepot it is a 650 lumen L.E.D. that is supposed to run 15 hours on three "D" batteries and has a 400 yard range i have been impressed as heck with this $20 flashlight. I do think i am getting a larger inverter this year to run boiler with in the future.