PDA

View Full Version : 12 ga brass shell slug loads

joeatact
01-08-2014, 12:10 PM
Has anyone tried loading lyman 525 slugs in 12ga brass shells? Is it even possible?

jmort
01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
"Is it even possible?"

Yes. If it fits, it will emit.

joeatact
01-08-2014, 10:42 PM
Would one seal the top similar as with other loads?

jmort
01-09-2014, 01:16 AM
From what I have seen, glue and over shot card. Do you have the Mag Tech's or the RMCs. I believe Ed thread has some good info on this. Check out his thread starting at end and working backwards

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?7916-12GA-FH-Slug-Tester/page31

Greg5278
01-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Why mess around with Brass Hulls/Cases? They aren't any better than Plastic, and have more potential Problems.
What type of Primer do the ones you are buying have? I had some BELL cases that were a major ignition Problem, the Primer sat way above the Powder, and often failed to ignite reliably. In a higher pressure Load, it would have been fine, but not at the low 12 pressure. For Home Defense, Federal LE Buckshot works great, and Fiocchi HP Slugs too. B&P has the same SLug in reduced recoil if you need that. A 1000Grain slug is way too much. I've fired some at a little over 900FPS and they still went through both sides of a 20# Propane Cylinder.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

Greg5278
01-15-2014, 11:31 AM
That mold would work, but not my first Choice. I would go with a Design that does not have a Shoulder on it. I would go with some version of the Truncated cone Design. I don't know about shooting them at 300-600FPS. It wouldn't be too effective, and possibly not stable. At that point I would go with the 625gr Hollow point slug in a Wad. It expands to about 1.25" and that's at lower velocity. See what else Accurate Molds has in the TC shape. If not Tom should be able to make something up. You could copy my 770Gr one, but reduce the as cast Diameter. Mine was cut for an oversize barrel.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

Greg5278
01-15-2014, 11:36 PM
None of the slugs you mentioned will work in your Smoothbore. They require Rifling to stabilize. You would have to go with a Hollow base design or something else that is self stablizing like an attached wad design.

I have a Rapine 615gr HB Mold that throws a decent Slug, but not perfect. In a smoothbore it shoots pretty well as long as the sights are good. It shoots 1.5-2" groups in my JC Higgins Slug Gun. That Gun has the barrel and Receiver fully Threaded so my sights don't shift.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

bikerbeans
01-18-2014, 08:51 AM
If you want something a little different for home defense search for "crayon slugs" on U tube. A smoothbore slug that reverts to shot upon striking the target. In theory you will not put a slug though the walls of your house.

BB