PDA

View Full Version : having a few issues with my pc boolits

Solus
01-08-2014, 03:26 AM
Well this was my first time trying the pc method. I dry tumbled the pc on and then heated in my toaster oven. I set it to 400 and got some clumping going on. I also got some bullet deformation but I think the temp meter on the toaster is wrong so thats probably why they have deformed. Should I switch to the spray on method or did I do something wrong during tumbling?

Lead Fred
01-08-2014, 05:28 AM
If your going to heat yer boolits, not over 200, 175 is what I use.

I thought only pan lubers preheated. Ive never heated tumble lubed boolits

JASON4X4
01-08-2014, 05:29 AM
I only spray mine never tried the tumble method. You will get one nice even coat spraying. If you don't have a convection toaster you will have hot spots that can cause them to deform. I installed a temp probe through the side of my oven to keep an eye on the temp. One coat one bake.

Beagle333
01-08-2014, 06:08 AM
Make sure you pre-heat the oven, and get a baking thermometer to test the oven's setting.
I'm just using my casting thermometer, but a cheapo from WalMart, Dollar General or Fleabay would probably be a better option. Some folks have reduced their boolits to a puddle. (Yes, some little toaster ovens will get that hot!)

popper
01-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Try again using a convection oven & thermo. My first try wasn't purty either. Pistol or rifle? So far I've gotten to 1400+ in 30/30 PB with D-T, no problem. D-T is good in pistol. Basically complete coating on the drive bands.

prickett
01-08-2014, 08:27 PM
Well this was my first time trying the pc method. I dry tumbled the pc on and then heated in my toaster oven. I set it to 400 and got some clumping going on. I also got some bullet deformation but I think the temp meter on the toaster is wrong so thats probably why they have deformed. Should I switch to the spray on method or did I do something wrong during tumbling?

If you got boolit deformation, I'm betting your oven wasn't really heating to 400. That might be what the dial was set to, but get an oven thermometer and confirm. Sounds like it is running hot.

Did you have clumping at the point of dumping them onto the cooking grid? Or, only after cooking? I've never hear of the latter happening.

With regards to switching to spraying, it doesn't sound like that will solve anything. If your oven is too hot and/or causing clumping during baking, it will likely do so with sprayed boolits too.

Boogieman
01-08-2014, 09:36 PM
Pre heating bullits before powder coating is a waste of time. I've tried it with & without preheating It works both ways. Some of mine were done after sitting in a 36F shop all night. If they are too warm when you put the powder on the powder will clump. pricket is probably right about the oven temp. I use a cheap toaster oven & aWallyworld oven thermometer .

Solus
01-09-2014, 02:47 AM
Ill have to get a better thermometer and use it. It was clumped before I put it in the oven and it was worst once it was heated. It just looked weird. I was told to run the oven at 400F. Is that correct? Or should I run it at a different temperature.

JASON4X4
01-09-2014, 08:14 AM
When I am ready to coat I put them in a container along with acetone to make sure there is no oils from hands then stand them up let the acetone evaporate and spray. I bake mine in a preheated oven for 10 min max and they come out fine nice even coat. The powder paint should give you the temp and time to bake on the container.

Maximumbob54
01-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Yes, you want the temp at 400 but the oven dial at 400 is kind of a **** shoot on what it will give you. I find mine melts the powder at 375ish and at 400 I've had it melt the lead. The thermostat is kind of cheap in these things.

prickett
01-09-2014, 09:48 AM
Ill have to get a better thermometer and use it. It was clumped before I put it in the oven and it was worst once it was heated. It just looked weird. I was told to run the oven at 400F. Is that correct? Or should I run it at a different temperature.

The temp is dependent on the make of powder. HF paint wants 400F for 20 minutes. Other powders may require lower temp and/or less time.

The clumping before hand also could be dependent on paint. I don't get clumping from HF red (except one case where I preheated the boolits and had it melt some paint as I tumbled).

If you aren't using HF red, I'd suggest starting with it. That is because its a known quantity - its known to work for dry tumble without clumping. If successful with it, then you can move on to different colors and manufacturers to see what does and does not work.

Solus
01-09-2014, 05:13 PM
I used HF black but I also bought HF red

prickett
01-09-2014, 05:22 PM

Ah, there's your problem. Nobody (that I've seen) in the forums has gotten HF black to work for dry tumbling.

Black works very well for wet tumbling (called Piglet coating) where the paint is mixed with lacquer thinner. Use it only for that type application.

Use the red for dry tumbling and you'll have MUCH better results.

Solus
01-09-2014, 05:42 PM
thats funny lol I didnt read that anywhere on here. Im glad I asked :) so red I can use dry tumbled and black must be wet tumbled. How much thinner should I use?

Freightman
01-09-2014, 07:17 PM
http://s1236.photobucket.com/user/freightman1/media/PIC00026_edited-7.jpg.html?sort=3&o=31
well no wonder black will not work dry tumbling, have a almost new bottle of HF black i will use it on something else, red works , yellow works, white works, but black forget it.
The above is a little red with yellow and they were dry tumbled and perfect and it saves powder.
Andy for wet just use 1 TBL spoon of solvent with a little black it should work.

bangerjim
01-09-2014, 07:58 PM
Black works GREAT if you spray it on ( one coat).....(my standard coating) Reports from others say it also works well with the dissolving method (multiple coats required) . Does NOT work with dry method.

When ES sprayed on, the black give a beautiful smooth perfect coat. Red seems to be thicker for some reason, even when sprayed. Personally I do not like the red. In my 45LC's, it makes them look like little tubes of lipstick!

You can use the HF IR temp gun (on sale most of the time for ~$24) to check your oven temps. Just shoot at the boolits your have in for baking. It is accurate. I have checked it against my pro IR gun and is very close. Just do NOT use it to try to measure molten lead in your pot! Will NOT work!!!!! (you know....black body radiation and all that scientific stuff).

A convection oven (you know....the one with the fan) is a must to keep the temp profile in the oven constant and not get uneven baking and even "saggies". I used a junk store cheepee standard one at first and ended up with puddles of lead above the elements and not-cured powder at the edges. We are not baking a cake here! Temp profile is critical.....much more so than kitchen work. You do not have the mass of a baking dish and a glob of dough to act as a temp regulator.

banger

Solus
01-09-2014, 11:53 PM
hmm thanks for all the info guys Ill have to try all this again... maybe buy a pc gun. I definately need a new thermometer :)

prickett
01-10-2014, 10:45 AM
thats funny lol I didnt read that anywhere on here. Im glad I asked :) so red I can use dry tumbled and black must be wet tumbled. How much thinner should I use?

I base it more on the amount of paint than the amount of thinner. I use 1/2 tsp of black paint then pour in enough thinner to get a "stain-like" solution. Black tends to clump when thinner is added that may need more thinner to get rid of, or, a thorough mixing. The paint amount is science (i.e. fixed amount per number of boolits) whereas the thinner is more an art (i.e. add enough to get "stain-like" where all paint is in solution)

But, be aware, once you do the HF Red tumble coat, you'll quickly quit using the wet coat method.

Boogieman
01-10-2014, 01:35 PM
I have had good results with a cheap toaster oven with screen over the rack to allow even heating If you are using a solid pan with foil you may need a convection oven. An oven thermometer is a must, swipe the wife's and buy her a new one. With HF red Preheat to 400F bake 20 min. AFTER the powder melts. It's easy & it works. Disposable BBQ grill topers make good screens. They can be reused ,stuck bullets can be removed without damage to them. or the bullets .and they're cheap.

Solus
01-10-2014, 02:53 PM
I was thinking of buying a small pan and make holes in it or buy a sheet of metal with holes already made im still in the experimenting process

prickett
01-11-2014, 12:39 AM
I was thinking of buying a small pan and make holes in it or buy a sheet of metal with holes already made im still in the experimenting process

I used some old hardware mesh I had on hand. I bent up some sides that are about 1" high. Plenty of air flow, minimal contact with the boolit, and, with the sides, can swirl around the boolits fresh out of the oven to break any that are stuck together.

Regarding cooking, I just toss 100 in for 30 min at 400F. The extra 10 min is in place of pre-heating.