PDA

View Full Version : SBH Grip Repair

mattd
01-07-2014, 11:46 PM
Busted the corner off my grip using a weird rest. Tried glueing it on with wood glue, but it came off next time I shot. Any ideas to glue it back on. It's been awhile but I remember i had a hard time finding the grips when I ordered them. Kept getting small BH grips.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f196/mattd1978/d67b7017045e3499c084b894c82d8100_zps43365850.jpg

junkpile
01-07-2014, 11:52 PM
2 part epoxy.

Did you clamp it when you used the wood glue?

If you're careful enough, you can pin it back in, but it shouldn't be necessary.

44man
01-08-2014, 09:30 AM
Accra Glass bedding compound is what I use on stocks. I wrap tight with inner tube strips.

Tatume
01-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Ruger will sell you a new set if you're unsuccessful in repairing these. They're not terribly expensive.

mattd
01-08-2014, 09:49 AM
Ruger is the one that sent me two diff sets of BH grips that didnt fit. then a couple vendors did the same. finally i found one that called out the dimensions on their site and i called to confirm what they were and got the correct ones.

i've got Stockys bedding compound. good idea.

Thin Man
01-08-2014, 11:33 AM
I prefer the elastic tournaquet bands used to prepare a patient for a blood draw readily available at hospitals and clinics and through friendly medical personnel (just mention you are gluing irregular shaped wood, as some medical personnel are not favorable to firearm discussions). These strips are very flexible and easily secured to themselves and are about the handiest tool in my wood repair kit.
Thin Man

contender1
01-08-2014, 12:12 PM
I have seen many broken tips like this before. Usually when they try to repair them, most folks fail. Try some of the suggestions here.
If not, I would also suggest you get a replacement pair of grips. By the picture, you have a NM Super Blackhawk Dragoon grip frame. You mentioned having issues getting a set of grips. The SBH is pretty much a standard sized frame, and hasn't undergone any major changes over the years. (Unlike the regular Blackhawk line.) So, unless you are looking for a perfect fit all around all the edges, (like custom grips etc,) I would think it'd be easy to replace them. Most likely you were ordering Blackhawk grips & not specifying SUPER Blackhawk dragoon sized ones.
So, if the repairs do not work, I'd look for a replacement panel. You can even post a WTB ad on the Ruger Forum for a single panel if needed.
I'll offer another tip to help prevent another issue with wood grips.
Go to the hardware store.
Get nylon spacers, 1/2" long, 1/8" diameter.
Place a spacer between each panel, over the grip screw. This will prevent overtightening of the grip screw & causing estuation pull through & busted panels on the inside.
IF you do this, and the grips do not seat properly, grind .005 off the nylon spacer.
I have had many sets of Ruger grips come to me with busted wood on the inside. I put spacers in ALL my Ruger single-actions.

KCSO
01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Those look like rosewood and that is an oily wood. Before you glue use a good degreaser and a small concealed pin will hel also. I would only use a good slow drying epoxy like acra glass. Tint the glass with cinnamon and you can match the crack right in.

Salmoneye
01-08-2014, 05:19 PM
Make your own grips...

The fit of those is not something I could live with...

bhn22
01-08-2014, 07:10 PM
Buy a pair on one of the auction sites. Make sure you positively identify which grip frame you have, and which grip they're selling before you bid.