PDA

View Full Version : Soft lube

hotwheelz
12-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I have some friends that use some creative lube like peanut butter, bagbalm, but I was wondering about spg or some other softlubes and how well they store? I know the guy who uses peanut butter left them out and the mice ate all the lube off of them but I like to cast and lube up alot of bullets and I dont load them right away so I would like to get a soft lube that will keep and stay put for months waiting to reload any ideas ???? I am currently useing hard lube "blue angle" with a heater in my 450 but I have picked up a couple #45 lubers and was going to try some soft lube just looking for some options thanks

Bullshop Junior
12-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Speed Green, by weight 3 to 1 beeswax to Bull Plate.
Enjoy
Blessings
BIC/BS

Ricochet
12-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Your friend could save on mousetraps. Leave PB-lubed Pb boolits sitting around so the mice nibble on them and get lead poisoning.

hotwheelz
12-02-2007, 02:59 PM
The only other draw back to PB is if you dont empty out your lube cylinder it will seperate and the oils will seep out and leave a mess in the cylinder one of the other guys tried it and he found out the messy way:shock::

Winger Ed.
12-02-2007, 04:22 PM
For slow, plinking, pistol bullets in .45ACP or .38Spec.-
I used to gather up all the kid's broken crayons and old candles.
I'd melt them in a old pot and thin it with motor oil.
Dip a pencil in, let it cool, test for the hardness you want-
adjust mixture with more oil or crayons until its 'just right'.

To get it in a sizer, just melt it again, pour in what ya need, and put the top back on.
It'll cool & stabilize pretty quick.
For the 1,000 fps or slower stuff- it works great, and ya can't beat the price.

But the lubed bullets don't store well unless the lube is pretty hard.
Soft lubes tend to fall off if the bullets get banged around in a bag,
or handeled/bumped together very much.

grumpy one
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
I shouldn't need to remind the regulars on this board but for the sake of newcomers: if you use mineral oil in your lube, and load the cartridges a long time before you shoot them, expect some misfires. The mineral oil gradually finds its way to the primers and kills them stone dead - they won't even fire if you restrike them multiple times.

I stored 75 cartridges lubed with beeswax with a small amount of colloidal graphite for 8 years, then found 3 of the primers were dead.

The reason I mention this is in case somebody was tempted to use mineral oil in lube for a defensive pistol load. Please, don't even think about it.

Morgan Astorbilt
12-02-2007, 08:05 PM
In the same vein, back about thirty years ago, when I was a cop, the NYPD came out with a directive cautioning us not to use silicone oil to lube our revolvers. The claim was made that the oil could creep back into the cartridges and kill the primers. Don't remember ever hearing about this happening to anyone. Probably a case of: I wonder if- maybe it could- I heard it might- I heard it did. Rumor chain taking hold
Morgan

P.S. I still don't use it because it might:confused:

Morgan Astorbilt
12-02-2007, 08:14 PM
Boy, this is bringing back memories! They also discovered that the celluloid coating on our nickle plated Acme Thunderer(Made in England) police whistles was flammable, and made us burn it off. We made little piles of them in an ashtray, lit them up with a lighter, and sure enough, they burned, similar to a highway flare, or smokeless powder in the open, leaving the metal shining. Don't know how they would flare up on your gun belt, though.
Morgan

hammerhead357
12-02-2007, 09:18 PM
Morgan I thought it was WD-40 that everyone was so concerned about. I don't doubt for a minute that that wouldn't creep and kill primers. I just have never had it happen....Wes

Winger Ed.
12-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Morgan I thought it was WD-40 that everyone was so concerned about.

Ohh yeah,,,,, we love to worry about almost anything.

Oil- or even water duding out your primers was a big rage a few years ago.
Everybody was painting finger nail polish on the back end of all their loaded ammo.

Military primers are sealed with laquer paint--
that is about 90% similar to finger nail polish for that reason.
However, for just regular ammo that us mortals use:
I figure its a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

I don't oil my primers, but I've had lots of .38s and .45s go through the washer after I'd forgotten them in my pockets. They all worked when I fired them later