PDA

View Full Version : seating depth of different boolits

edadmartin
01-07-2014, 08:51 PM
Good evening guys, Ive been reloading only for a very short time Ive started with a box of 500 .452 lswc 200gr. I got for Christmas a box of .452 200gr lead round nose boolits. Will I need to change my existing setup for the lswc when I go to the round nose boolits? Also will the COL change as well. Im shooting a Springfield 1911. will there also be a powder charge adjustment? Im sneeking up on my charge with the lswc, Im at 4.7gr of AA#2 My Lee manual said 5.2-5.8. My load is lighter and everything works well with the gun. Im hoping to have only 1 setup,but Im here asking for your opinions.

bobthenailer
01-08-2014, 01:29 PM
More than likely the seating depth/COL will be different ! what i like to do is find a used set of dies and use the bullet seater die from the set for the other bullet style ,I have a least 2 to 3 seater dies for many handgun calibers as well as 2 to 3 crimp dies for revolver , taper, light roll & heavy roll crimp.

Or you can set correct col for each bullet style and take a col measurement ( use dial caliper ) , and readjust the seating stem to give you that col for whatever bullet you want to use.
you could also make a dummy round for each bullet to get you closer to the correct col when readjusting the bullet seating stem.

mdi
01-08-2014, 03:33 PM
Different bullets, different OAL. Perhaps your reloading manual will give OAL specs. that are close, but for all intents and purposes, different bullets determine a different OAL...

winelover
01-09-2014, 09:48 AM
More than likely the seating depth/COL will be different ! what i like to do is find a used set of dies and use the bullet seater die from the set for the other bullet style ,I have a least 2 to 3 seater dies for many handgun calibers as well as 2 to 3 crimp dies for revolver , taper, light roll & heavy roll crimp.

Or you can set correct col for each bullet style and take a col measurement ( use dial caliper ) , and readjust the seating stem to give you that col for whatever bullet you want to use.
you could also make a dummy round for each bullet to get you closer to the correct col when readjusting the bullet seating stem.

Bob, nailed it!:wink:

Winelover

edadmartin
01-09-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks Bob thats interesting ---- As a guide would you think a round nose wants to be longer or shorter for 1911. My length on the 200gr lswc Im loading now is 1.264 which works great. I know the max length is 1.275 and min length is 1.118 . sorry I just dont see why a 200 grain round nose could not be seated same as a 200 gr swc ? All my 3 manuals I have show different col for the boolits in question. What am I missing here? I guess I could just load up a few dummys and see if they cycle, then charge up a batch and see if they come out the other end. Maybe Im thinkin to hard. ????

edadmartin
01-11-2014, 01:34 PM
I answered my own question ,by doin a little work. I measured a 200gr lswc and a 200gr lrn and the wad cutter is over 1/16" longer hence the difference in seating depth between the 2. I guess I had to dive in deeper.problem solved. I see now why my manuals all show a different col for those 2 bullits. I get it now.