PDA

View Full Version : Moon clips

charliek
01-07-2014, 08:47 PM
I bought one of the pliers style demooner tools from brownells. But my .45 acp clips won't fit over the central post in the tool. Are there multiple sizes of moon clips?

imashooter2
01-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Yes, different guns and calibers have moons with different center holes.

ETA: It's hard to beat the simplicity of the tube type demooners.

Mk42gunner
01-07-2014, 11:19 PM
Back in the dark ages, when I had a S&W Model of 1955 Target in .45 ACP/ .45 AR; I made my own tube type clip unloading tool.

All you need is a six or seven inch long piece of 1/2" copper pipe and an end cap. Solder the cap on one end and use a hacksaw to cut a lip of about 1/8" on the other.

Robert

Frank46
01-08-2014, 01:04 AM
Better yet, get the RIMZ moon clips and eliminate the need for a de-mooner. They some kind of polymer and work great for my 1937 Brazilian 45. Frank

contender1
01-08-2014, 12:17 PM
I made a de-mooner out of an old aluminum handle from a "golf ball retriever". An item used to pluck golf balls out of the water. It has a collapsible extension set of tubes. I found that the actual handle & aluminum base piece worked perfectly for me in my 40 S&W revolver. I know it may not work for the 45 cal, but you can use my idea to look for any kind of tool with a hollow handle of the proper diameter.
Once you get the tube, cut the end square. File 2/3rds of the metal off the end down just a little past the thickness of the moon clips. Make the tube long enough to hold about 8 cases.
Works great!

meterman
01-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Pitch all that stuff and lay in a supply of .45 Auto Rim. Problem solved.

imashooter2
01-09-2014, 12:24 AM
I made a de-mooner out of an old aluminum handle from a "golf ball retriever". An item used to pluck golf balls out of the water. It has a collapsible extension set of tubes. I found that the actual handle & aluminum base piece worked perfectly for me in my 40 S&W revolver. I know it may not work for the 45 cal, but you can use my idea to look for any kind of tool with a hollow handle of the proper diameter.
Once you get the tube, cut the end square. File 2/3rds of the metal off the end down just a little past the thickness of the moon clips. Make the tube long enough to hold about 8 cases.
Works great!

Actually, broken golf club shafts make very nice demooners. Stop by the local golf course and ask at the pro shop if they have any in the trash out back. It's what I use. Bad cell pic...

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/demoon1.jpg